New customs regulations announced for travellers going on Cuba holidays
To the delight of Cuba's tourism authorities and those planning to go on Cuba holidays this year, the island's government has announced changes in some previously strict customs regulations for passengers arriving to the island for tourism purposes. According to the new rules, holidaymakers will be able to import more items of a personal nature exempt from tax and duty payments.
The Cuban government has recently introduced a new set of guidelines regarding the importation and exportation of items for travellers visiting the island. The new customs regulations came into force last Tuesday and reflect Cuba’s current conditions and evolution as a holiday destination eager to welcome tourists, as well as being in line with international practice.
It is hoped that the easing of some of these customs regulations will help provide a more hassle-free experience for passengers arriving at the island’s national airports with faster processing of baggage.
Under the new rules, any passenger going on Cuba holidays will now be able to import a wider variety and higher quantity of items of personal use including portable digital media players, mobile phones, portable TVs, cameras and children’s items such as food, entertainment and pushchairs, according to age (as well as footwear and clothing) exempt from duties.
In addition to these, all holidaymakers arriving to their holidays in Cuba can now also import items subject to duties up to the limit of $ 1,000 provided they are not for profit and quantities of the same items don’t exceed authorised limits.
Items or products that are subject to tax payments (such as medicines or pharmaceuticals) will also be exempted from taxes if their value is equal to or less than $50.99 and weighing up to a maximum of 10 kilograms, provided they are imported in their original packaging and they are not part of a list of prohibited items or items subject to special requirements.
Great news for parents travelling to Cuba with children is that now those under 10 years of age will be able to bring a wider variety of personal belongings appropriate to their age, and those over 10 will also have the right to import goods to the limit of the value set.
The new regulations are being welcomed by tourism authorities and Cuban hotels and resorts islandwide which advocate that the changes in customs legislation will particularly favour those planning family holidays to Cuba as the new rules are far less restrictive than before when it comes to what parents travelling with children can import free of charge.
As before, upon arrival to Cuba all passengers must continue to complete a customs declaration form to declare all their belongings and for those travelling as tourists, the exemptions listed on the Convention on Customs Facilities for Tourism will apply.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...