New customs regulations announced for travellers going on Cuba holidays
To the delight of Cuba's tourism authorities and those planning to go on Cuba holidays this year, the island's government has announced changes in some previously strict customs regulations for passengers arriving to the island for tourism purposes. According to the new rules, holidaymakers will be able to import more items of a personal nature exempt from tax and duty payments.
The Cuban government has recently introduced a new set of guidelines regarding the importation and exportation of items for travellers visiting the island. The new customs regulations came into force last Tuesday and reflect Cuba’s current conditions and evolution as a holiday destination eager to welcome tourists, as well as being in line with international practice.
It is hoped that the easing of some of these customs regulations will help provide a more hassle-free experience for passengers arriving at the island’s national airports with faster processing of baggage.
Under the new rules, any passenger going on Cuba holidays will now be able to import a wider variety and higher quantity of items of personal use including portable digital media players, mobile phones, portable TVs, cameras and children’s items such as food, entertainment and pushchairs, according to age (as well as footwear and clothing) exempt from duties.
In addition to these, all holidaymakers arriving to their holidays in Cuba can now also import items subject to duties up to the limit of $ 1,000 provided they are not for profit and quantities of the same items don’t exceed authorised limits.
Items or products that are subject to tax payments (such as medicines or pharmaceuticals) will also be exempted from taxes if their value is equal to or less than $50.99 and weighing up to a maximum of 10 kilograms, provided they are imported in their original packaging and they are not part of a list of prohibited items or items subject to special requirements.
Great news for parents travelling to Cuba with children is that now those under 10 years of age will be able to bring a wider variety of personal belongings appropriate to their age, and those over 10 will also have the right to import goods to the limit of the value set.
The new regulations are being welcomed by tourism authorities and Cuban hotels and resorts islandwide which advocate that the changes in customs legislation will particularly favour those planning family holidays to Cuba as the new rules are far less restrictive than before when it comes to what parents travelling with children can import free of charge.
As before, upon arrival to Cuba all passengers must continue to complete a customs declaration form to declare all their belongings and for those travelling as tourists, the exemptions listed on the Convention on Customs Facilities for Tourism will apply.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...