Dominican Republic holidays were top choice among travellers in 2012
Recent figures reveal that the Dominican Republic has once again emerged as the regional leader in terms of tourism arrivals. Over 4.6 million travelers booked Dominican Republic holidays in 2012, a statistic which has led to a 6.6 per cent growth in the island's arrivals- two percentage points above the regional and global levels. With new Dominican Republic flights coming on stream in 2013, the island seems to be headed for yet another record-breaking year.
Francisco Javier Garcia, the Dominican Republic’s Minister of Tourism has a lot to celebrate as the island’s recently released 2012 tourism figures reveals a 6.6 per cent growth in the number of travellers who booked Dominican Republic holidays when compared to 2011. The figures are particularly impressive in light of the global economic downturn which has affected the tourism industry not only in the Caribbean but across the world. Notably, global tourism only saw a four per cent growth in 2012 while the Caribbean region’s arrivals grew by a modest 4.8 per cent.
These latest figures are indicative of the hard work that was put in by the islands tourism officials along with the many hotels and resorts in the Dominican Republic throughout 2012. Indeed, 2012 is the second consecutive year which has seen the Dominican Republic best its regional peers in terms of arrivals with over 4.6 million travelers choosing holidays in the Dominican Republic for their fix of sun, sea and sand in 2012. Mr Garcia stated the following of the Dominican Republic’s achievement, “With this growth, more than two percentage points higher than the global and the Caribbean tourism, we again demonstrated the great year we achieved in the Dominican Republic”
The island’s tourism industry can take heart from the latest figures as it is not only an honor to be known as the leader in the Caribbean- a region which is arguably the world’s most popular holiday destination- but it is also an encouraging sign that the Dominican Republic can achieve its ambitious long term goal of 10 million visitors by the year 2022.
With a number of new direct flights to the Dominican Republic launching this year, Mr Garcia has expressed optimism that the island can exceed five million visitors by the end of 2013. One airline that will certainly be making its contribution to arrivals in the Dominican Republic in 2013 is Air Europe. Following Iberia’s announcement that as of 1st April 2013 it would no longer operate the Madrid-Santo Domingo route, Air Europe agreed to pick up the slack by doubling the connections to the Caribbean island. As of April 2013, travelers planning their Dominican Republic holidays can choose from 14 weekly flights to Santo Domingo from Madrid’s Barajas airport and seven weekly flights from Madrid to the Dominican Republic’s popular Punta Cana district.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Enjoy luxury with a 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...