Cuba's holiday industry breaks records in 2012 with number of tourist arrivals
2012 proved to be yet another successful year for Cuba's booming holiday industry with record tourism figures marking a 4.5 per cent growth in the island's tourist sector. According to official figures revealed by Cuba's Granma newspaper, over 2.8 million travellers took Cuba holidays last year.
Reports from Cuba’s official tourism sources have revealed how 2012 proved to be yet another successful year for the island’s holiday industry with more tourists than ever enjoying Cuba holidays for leisure, sun and sea relaxation, exciting eco-adventures and historical tours.
As of the end of 2012 Cuba had officially received 2,838,478 foreign tourists, a record-breaking figure that consolidates the Caribbean nation’s reputation as one of the most coveted holiday destinations in the region despite its current economic woes and the dire situation of the wider global economic climate.
According to official reports published by Cuba’s Granma newspaper, the recent increase in last year’s tourist numbers marks an overall 4.5 per cent tourism growth which coincides with the expected average estimation of between 3 and 4 per cent growth in the wider Caribbean travel industry.
The market of international tourists that opt for relaxing or culturally-enriching holidays in Cuba includes travellers from Canada – which top the number of visitors with over one million holidaymakers for the second consecutive year – and emerging markets like Russia and South America with new visitors coming from Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, China, Brazil and other countries.
Sun and sea tourism continues to attract the largest number of travellers heading on holidays to Cuba, with the areas that received the most visitors including the beach resorts of Varadero and the Cayo Coco and Santa Maria keys.
Holidaymakers choosing Cuba as their holiday destination have also been sowing growing interest in tourist programmes related to cultural and historic values, and nature. Other activities like medical tourism, events and incentives have also contributed to the diversification of the tourist sector, which expects to increase its contribution to the country’s economy in 2013.
According to the World Tourism Organisation, the sector saw important growth in the first eight months of 2012, with a record figure of 705 million international arrivals around the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...