Cuba's holiday industry breaks records in 2012 with number of tourist arrivals
2012 proved to be yet another successful year for Cuba's booming holiday industry with record tourism figures marking a 4.5 per cent growth in the island's tourist sector. According to official figures revealed by Cuba's Granma newspaper, over 2.8 million travellers took Cuba holidays last year.
Reports from Cuba’s official tourism sources have revealed how 2012 proved to be yet another successful year for the island’s holiday industry with more tourists than ever enjoying Cuba holidays for leisure, sun and sea relaxation, exciting eco-adventures and historical tours.
As of the end of 2012 Cuba had officially received 2,838,478 foreign tourists, a record-breaking figure that consolidates the Caribbean nation’s reputation as one of the most coveted holiday destinations in the region despite its current economic woes and the dire situation of the wider global economic climate.
According to official reports published by Cuba’s Granma newspaper, the recent increase in last year’s tourist numbers marks an overall 4.5 per cent tourism growth which coincides with the expected average estimation of between 3 and 4 per cent growth in the wider Caribbean travel industry.
The market of international tourists that opt for relaxing or culturally-enriching holidays in Cuba includes travellers from Canada – which top the number of visitors with over one million holidaymakers for the second consecutive year – and emerging markets like Russia and South America with new visitors coming from Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, China, Brazil and other countries.
Sun and sea tourism continues to attract the largest number of travellers heading on holidays to Cuba, with the areas that received the most visitors including the beach resorts of Varadero and the Cayo Coco and Santa Maria keys.
Holidaymakers choosing Cuba as their holiday destination have also been sowing growing interest in tourist programmes related to cultural and historic values, and nature. Other activities like medical tourism, events and incentives have also contributed to the diversification of the tourist sector, which expects to increase its contribution to the country’s economy in 2013.
According to the World Tourism Organisation, the sector saw important growth in the first eight months of 2012, with a record figure of 705 million international arrivals around the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...