Cuba's holiday industry breaks records in 2012 with number of tourist arrivals
2012 proved to be yet another successful year for Cuba's booming holiday industry with record tourism figures marking a 4.5 per cent growth in the island's tourist sector. According to official figures revealed by Cuba's Granma newspaper, over 2.8 million travellers took Cuba holidays last year.
Reports from Cuba’s official tourism sources have revealed how 2012 proved to be yet another successful year for the island’s holiday industry with more tourists than ever enjoying Cuba holidays for leisure, sun and sea relaxation, exciting eco-adventures and historical tours.
As of the end of 2012 Cuba had officially received 2,838,478 foreign tourists, a record-breaking figure that consolidates the Caribbean nation’s reputation as one of the most coveted holiday destinations in the region despite its current economic woes and the dire situation of the wider global economic climate.
According to official reports published by Cuba’s Granma newspaper, the recent increase in last year’s tourist numbers marks an overall 4.5 per cent tourism growth which coincides with the expected average estimation of between 3 and 4 per cent growth in the wider Caribbean travel industry.
The market of international tourists that opt for relaxing or culturally-enriching holidays in Cuba includes travellers from Canada – which top the number of visitors with over one million holidaymakers for the second consecutive year – and emerging markets like Russia and South America with new visitors coming from Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, China, Brazil and other countries.
Sun and sea tourism continues to attract the largest number of travellers heading on holidays to Cuba, with the areas that received the most visitors including the beach resorts of Varadero and the Cayo Coco and Santa Maria keys.
Holidaymakers choosing Cuba as their holiday destination have also been sowing growing interest in tourist programmes related to cultural and historic values, and nature. Other activities like medical tourism, events and incentives have also contributed to the diversification of the tourist sector, which expects to increase its contribution to the country’s economy in 2013.
According to the World Tourism Organisation, the sector saw important growth in the first eight months of 2012, with a record figure of 705 million international arrivals around the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...