End of Mayan Calendar filled Cancun hotels as tourist arrivals to Mexico break records
With so-called "doomsday" safely behind us now, the end of the Mayan calendar seems to have marked the beginning of a successful era for Mexico's holiday industry as Cancun hotels and resorts as well as tourist establishments in other popular beach destinations fill up to full capacity during this winter season.
Even when the looming of what was expected to be “doomsday” according to the ancient Mayan calendar could have scared off potential travellers to the Mexican region where the prediction was made, more holidaymakers than ever rushed to fill Cancun hotels and resorts sparked by curiosity and wonderment about the “end of the Mayan Cycle” predictions.
The fear of the Mayan ‘Apocalypse’ may now have died down but Mexico’s tourism industry is still thriving with the large number of arrivals seen at the country’s airports while the most popular resorts are now full to 100 per cent capacity. With many taking the opportunity to spend Cancun holidays and learn more about the ancient Mayan civilisation, their culture and their beliefs, for Mexico’s holiday industry it’s hardly the end of the world.
According to Deputy Minister Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez, widespread interest about the Mayans and the end of the Mayan calendar, helped draw a record-breaking 23 million visitors to Mexico in 2012. This led Maya-fuelled travel boost the numbers of passengers arriving to Cancun International Airport, which saw an all-time-high number of arrivals this year while hotels in Cancun reported a 40 per cent increase in revenue thanks to the large influx of tourist flocking in.
While 21st December 2012 officially marked the end of the Mayan Calendar’s 13th cycle, for the nation’s holiday industry it is definitely marking a new beginning. Much like the belief of many interpreters who said the end of the Mayan Calendar marked the start of a new era rather than an apocalypse, Mexican travel companies, Cancun hotels and hospitality business say they’re experiencing a revival in tourism nationwide.
Chief Financial Officer of Mexico City based hotel chain, Posadas, Ruben Ramiros, said “Mexico is on a roll”. During a telephone interview from London, Mr Ramiro added that bookings for hotel rooms "have really started to pick up by the second quarter and now we see a whole machine coming our way.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...