End of Mayan Calendar filled Cancun hotels as tourist arrivals to Mexico break records
With so-called "doomsday" safely behind us now, the end of the Mayan calendar seems to have marked the beginning of a successful era for Mexico's holiday industry as Cancun hotels and resorts as well as tourist establishments in other popular beach destinations fill up to full capacity during this winter season.
Even when the looming of what was expected to be “doomsday” according to the ancient Mayan calendar could have scared off potential travellers to the Mexican region where the prediction was made, more holidaymakers than ever rushed to fill Cancun hotels and resorts sparked by curiosity and wonderment about the “end of the Mayan Cycle” predictions.
The fear of the Mayan ‘Apocalypse’ may now have died down but Mexico’s tourism industry is still thriving with the large number of arrivals seen at the country’s airports while the most popular resorts are now full to 100 per cent capacity. With many taking the opportunity to spend Cancun holidays and learn more about the ancient Mayan civilisation, their culture and their beliefs, for Mexico’s holiday industry it’s hardly the end of the world.
According to Deputy Minister Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez, widespread interest about the Mayans and the end of the Mayan calendar, helped draw a record-breaking 23 million visitors to Mexico in 2012. This led Maya-fuelled travel boost the numbers of passengers arriving to Cancun International Airport, which saw an all-time-high number of arrivals this year while hotels in Cancun reported a 40 per cent increase in revenue thanks to the large influx of tourist flocking in.
While 21st December 2012 officially marked the end of the Mayan Calendar’s 13th cycle, for the nation’s holiday industry it is definitely marking a new beginning. Much like the belief of many interpreters who said the end of the Mayan Calendar marked the start of a new era rather than an apocalypse, Mexican travel companies, Cancun hotels and hospitality business say they’re experiencing a revival in tourism nationwide.
Chief Financial Officer of Mexico City based hotel chain, Posadas, Ruben Ramiros, said “Mexico is on a roll”. During a telephone interview from London, Mr Ramiro added that bookings for hotel rooms "have really started to pick up by the second quarter and now we see a whole machine coming our way.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...