End of Mayan Calendar filled Cancun hotels as tourist arrivals to Mexico break records
With so-called "doomsday" safely behind us now, the end of the Mayan calendar seems to have marked the beginning of a successful era for Mexico's holiday industry as Cancun hotels and resorts as well as tourist establishments in other popular beach destinations fill up to full capacity during this winter season.
Even when the looming of what was expected to be “doomsday” according to the ancient Mayan calendar could have scared off potential travellers to the Mexican region where the prediction was made, more holidaymakers than ever rushed to fill Cancun hotels and resorts sparked by curiosity and wonderment about the “end of the Mayan Cycle” predictions.
The fear of the Mayan ‘Apocalypse’ may now have died down but Mexico’s tourism industry is still thriving with the large number of arrivals seen at the country’s airports while the most popular resorts are now full to 100 per cent capacity. With many taking the opportunity to spend Cancun holidays and learn more about the ancient Mayan civilisation, their culture and their beliefs, for Mexico’s holiday industry it’s hardly the end of the world.
According to Deputy Minister Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez, widespread interest about the Mayans and the end of the Mayan calendar, helped draw a record-breaking 23 million visitors to Mexico in 2012. This led Maya-fuelled travel boost the numbers of passengers arriving to Cancun International Airport, which saw an all-time-high number of arrivals this year while hotels in Cancun reported a 40 per cent increase in revenue thanks to the large influx of tourist flocking in.
While 21st December 2012 officially marked the end of the Mayan Calendar’s 13th cycle, for the nation’s holiday industry it is definitely marking a new beginning. Much like the belief of many interpreters who said the end of the Mayan Calendar marked the start of a new era rather than an apocalypse, Mexican travel companies, Cancun hotels and hospitality business say they’re experiencing a revival in tourism nationwide.
Chief Financial Officer of Mexico City based hotel chain, Posadas, Ruben Ramiros, said “Mexico is on a roll”. During a telephone interview from London, Mr Ramiro added that bookings for hotel rooms "have really started to pick up by the second quarter and now we see a whole machine coming our way.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Venture to the Caribbean shores of Mexico in the celebrated resort town of Cancun to enjoy a sun-drenched retreat in a...