Tourism to Cuba grows by 5 per cent as more visitors than ever took Cuba holidays between January and October 2012
Cuba is proving as popular a destination as ever this year as the Caribbean island welcomed more travellers than ever between January and October 2012, according to a report released by the island's National Office of statistics (ONE). The figures show a 5.1 per cent increase in the number of visitors arriving to Cuba holidays so far this year.
New figures released by Cuba’s National Office of Statistics (ONE) have revealed that the popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers continues on the increase as tourism to the island grew 5.1 per cent between January and October this year.
During the first 10 months of 2012 as many as 2, 339,758 foreign visitors arrived to some of Cuba’s most popular holiday destinations which means a total of 114, 415 more visitors than during the same period in 2011.
In their monthly report which records the island’s tourism trend in terms of numbers of holidaymakers, ONE made emphasis on the fact that only in October a total of 169,504 travelleres arrived to their holidays in Cuba, marking a 4.9 growth when compared to the same month the previous year.
Cuba has set itself the tourism target of ending 2012 with a total of nearly 3 million (2.9m to be more precise) foreign visitor arrivales and reach the more round 3 million figure in 2013. To achieve this, the popular Caribbean island best known for its intoxicating music, frantic salsa dancing and historical revolution is working hard to improve the quality offered at Cuba resorts and hotels and increase the promotion of the destination in a more international scale, while drawing attention to its main product offering and unique attractions that set it worlds away aparat from any other Caribbean destination.
At present Cuba offers holidaymakers a total of 60,000 rooms in some 300 hotels countrywide, and authorities are encouraging a diversification of recreational facilities and accommodation beyond the typical "sun and beach" attraction. On top of this, many projects are underway to make Cuba a more attractive destination for golf lovers, with the construction of 3 new golf courses already on the pipeline. Likewise, the island is trying to increase the capacity and quality of accommodation it offers to discerning travellers by carrying out hotel expansions and building new resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...