Tourism to Cuba grows by 5 per cent as more visitors than ever took Cuba holidays between January and October 2012
Cuba is proving as popular a destination as ever this year as the Caribbean island welcomed more travellers than ever between January and October 2012, according to a report released by the island's National Office of statistics (ONE). The figures show a 5.1 per cent increase in the number of visitors arriving to Cuba holidays so far this year.
New figures released by Cuba’s National Office of Statistics (ONE) have revealed that the popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers continues on the increase as tourism to the island grew 5.1 per cent between January and October this year.
During the first 10 months of 2012 as many as 2, 339,758 foreign visitors arrived to some of Cuba’s most popular holiday destinations which means a total of 114, 415 more visitors than during the same period in 2011.
In their monthly report which records the island’s tourism trend in terms of numbers of holidaymakers, ONE made emphasis on the fact that only in October a total of 169,504 travelleres arrived to their holidays in Cuba, marking a 4.9 growth when compared to the same month the previous year.
Cuba has set itself the tourism target of ending 2012 with a total of nearly 3 million (2.9m to be more precise) foreign visitor arrivales and reach the more round 3 million figure in 2013. To achieve this, the popular Caribbean island best known for its intoxicating music, frantic salsa dancing and historical revolution is working hard to improve the quality offered at Cuba resorts and hotels and increase the promotion of the destination in a more international scale, while drawing attention to its main product offering and unique attractions that set it worlds away aparat from any other Caribbean destination.
At present Cuba offers holidaymakers a total of 60,000 rooms in some 300 hotels countrywide, and authorities are encouraging a diversification of recreational facilities and accommodation beyond the typical "sun and beach" attraction. On top of this, many projects are underway to make Cuba a more attractive destination for golf lovers, with the construction of 3 new golf courses already on the pipeline. Likewise, the island is trying to increase the capacity and quality of accommodation it offers to discerning travellers by carrying out hotel expansions and building new resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...