Development of new Maldives hotels and resorts planned for 14 uninhabited virgin islands
Fourteen uninhabited islands in the Maldives will soon be home to a selection of luxury hotels in order to keep up with the growing demand of holidaymakers. The Tourism Minister explained that though business from Europe declined during the recession, Chinese tourists taking Maldives holiday has increased by 200 per cent since 2004.
The Maldives government will be building a collection of new hotels and resorts on 14 uninhabited islands in the Indian Ocean nation over the next two years.
The island archipelago has seen a decline in UK and European tourists taking Maldives holidays during the recession but the number of holidaymakers from China has increased by 200 per cent since 2004.
Many of the new Maldives hotels will be targeted at the UK markets with at least four of the larger islands leased for three and four-star developments.
The UK market is important for the country and one in visitors taking holidays in the Maldives is from the UK. The Maldives tourist board will be launching an outdoor poster campaign in the UK next year.
"The UK is a loyal market and we are hopeful it will turn out good," explained the Tourism Minister, Ahmed Adheeb Abdhul Gafoor.
The Deputy Tourism Minister, Mohamed Maleeh Jamal, added that the government is keen to see the development of resorts in other parts of the Maldives including the south which now has a new domestic airport and has twice-daily flights from Male, the capital.
The bidding process has not been opened yet hoteliers are said to be "queuing up to get into the islands".
Tourism minister Gafoor spoke at the recent World Travel Market in London earlier this month, saying that the government would protect the Maldives' hotel spas after they were threatened with closure by the former government.
"Spas will remain an integral part of Maldives tourism," Gafoor commented. "This government will never do such a thing to damage tourism to the Maldives."
Located in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives is an archipelago spanning nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited.
During holidays to the Maldives, holidaymakers can take part in a variety of activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat trips, hiking through tropical forests and relaxing on unspoilt white sugar sand beaches fringed with swaying palm trees and turquoise ocean waters.
The islands offer excellent scuba diving adventures and an abundance of tropical marine creatures including turtles, stingrays, dolphins, whale sharks, zebra sharks, manta rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish and parrot fish.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Combine picture perfection with comfort and adventure in the Maldives
- Relax in one of the well-appointed Beach Front Rooms
- Indulge your taste buds with wonderful international delicacies at the main restaurant
- Enjoy some of the best snorkelling is the world
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Easy access to the buzzing capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...