Development of new Maldives hotels and resorts planned for 14 uninhabited virgin islands
Fourteen uninhabited islands in the Maldives will soon be home to a selection of luxury hotels in order to keep up with the growing demand of holidaymakers. The Tourism Minister explained that though business from Europe declined during the recession, Chinese tourists taking Maldives holiday has increased by 200 per cent since 2004.
The Maldives government will be building a collection of new hotels and resorts on 14 uninhabited islands in the Indian Ocean nation over the next two years.
The island archipelago has seen a decline in UK and European tourists taking Maldives holidays during the recession but the number of holidaymakers from China has increased by 200 per cent since 2004.
Many of the new Maldives hotels will be targeted at the UK markets with at least four of the larger islands leased for three and four-star developments.
The UK market is important for the country and one in visitors taking holidays in the Maldives is from the UK. The Maldives tourist board will be launching an outdoor poster campaign in the UK next year.
"The UK is a loyal market and we are hopeful it will turn out good," explained the Tourism Minister, Ahmed Adheeb Abdhul Gafoor.
The Deputy Tourism Minister, Mohamed Maleeh Jamal, added that the government is keen to see the development of resorts in other parts of the Maldives including the south which now has a new domestic airport and has twice-daily flights from Male, the capital.
The bidding process has not been opened yet hoteliers are said to be "queuing up to get into the islands".
Tourism minister Gafoor spoke at the recent World Travel Market in London earlier this month, saying that the government would protect the Maldives' hotel spas after they were threatened with closure by the former government.
"Spas will remain an integral part of Maldives tourism," Gafoor commented. "This government will never do such a thing to damage tourism to the Maldives."
Located in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives is an archipelago spanning nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited.
During holidays to the Maldives, holidaymakers can take part in a variety of activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat trips, hiking through tropical forests and relaxing on unspoilt white sugar sand beaches fringed with swaying palm trees and turquoise ocean waters.
The islands offer excellent scuba diving adventures and an abundance of tropical marine creatures including turtles, stingrays, dolphins, whale sharks, zebra sharks, manta rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish and parrot fish.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Let everything go as you observe breath-taking landscapes during a relaxing stay at the amazing Velassaru Maldives...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...