Development of new Maldives hotels and resorts planned for 14 uninhabited virgin islands
Fourteen uninhabited islands in the Maldives will soon be home to a selection of luxury hotels in order to keep up with the growing demand of holidaymakers. The Tourism Minister explained that though business from Europe declined during the recession, Chinese tourists taking Maldives holiday has increased by 200 per cent since 2004.
The Maldives government will be building a collection of new hotels and resorts on 14 uninhabited islands in the Indian Ocean nation over the next two years.
The island archipelago has seen a decline in UK and European tourists taking Maldives holidays during the recession but the number of holidaymakers from China has increased by 200 per cent since 2004.
Many of the new Maldives hotels will be targeted at the UK markets with at least four of the larger islands leased for three and four-star developments.
The UK market is important for the country and one in visitors taking holidays in the Maldives is from the UK. The Maldives tourist board will be launching an outdoor poster campaign in the UK next year.
"The UK is a loyal market and we are hopeful it will turn out good," explained the Tourism Minister, Ahmed Adheeb Abdhul Gafoor.
The Deputy Tourism Minister, Mohamed Maleeh Jamal, added that the government is keen to see the development of resorts in other parts of the Maldives including the south which now has a new domestic airport and has twice-daily flights from Male, the capital.
The bidding process has not been opened yet hoteliers are said to be "queuing up to get into the islands".
Tourism minister Gafoor spoke at the recent World Travel Market in London earlier this month, saying that the government would protect the Maldives' hotel spas after they were threatened with closure by the former government.
"Spas will remain an integral part of Maldives tourism," Gafoor commented. "This government will never do such a thing to damage tourism to the Maldives."
Located in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives is an archipelago spanning nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited.
During holidays to the Maldives, holidaymakers can take part in a variety of activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat trips, hiking through tropical forests and relaxing on unspoilt white sugar sand beaches fringed with swaying palm trees and turquoise ocean waters.
The islands offer excellent scuba diving adventures and an abundance of tropical marine creatures including turtles, stingrays, dolphins, whale sharks, zebra sharks, manta rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish and parrot fish.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Surrounded by crystal clear waters and tropical vegetation, Olhuveli Beach and Spa Resort is home away from home.
- Sunset Fishing, Male Sightseeing, a visit to a local island and Snorkelling Safari are just some of the excursions available
- From a kids club and live evening entertainment to the Sun Spa, there is something to cater for the needs of all family members
- Enjoy spa credit, included excursions, sunset cruises and more with the Emerald Plan, whilst the All Inclusive package offers use of sports facilities for free
- free room upgrade to the next category
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Let all concerns leave your mind while you spend 8 days of peace and relaxation at the Royal Island hotel in the...