Starwood hotels to take advantage of the popularity of Africa holidays with upcoming expansion plan
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc. recently announced a three year expansion plan that will see the American hotel brand become one of the top hotels for travellers booking Africa holidays come 2015. The hotel confirmed that it plans to increase its presence on the continent with an expansion into several key tourism markets including South Africa, Nigeria Egypt and Angola.
One of the world’s largest hotel companies, Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc, has recently announced a three year expansion plan which will see the hotel chain increase its presence in Africa by 30 per cent.
The firm is now the latest to take advantage of the growing popularity of Africa holidays with thrill seeking travellers from around the world. Starwood CEO, Frits van Paasschen stated the following of his hotel’s African growth strategy, “Home to seven of the world’s ten fastest growing economies, there could not be a better time to expand our footprint in Africa... From a vastly improving infrastructure, major investments from China, rapid economic growth, rising personal incomes and a growing middle class - we are seeing exciting changes that are driving the African future and we intend to be a part of it”.
With millions of adventure seeking travellers booking Africa holidays each year, drawn to the continent’s wildlife and awe inspiring landscapes there is little wonder why Starwood would seek to capitalise on the continent’s growing popularity as one of the best holiday destinations in the world.
Starwood is currently the proud operator of 38 hotels in Africa including hotels in key locations in Nigeria including, Abuja, Ibom, Port Harcourt and Lagos. By 2015 Starwood will add three more hotels- one in Benin City and two in Lagos, to its already impressive portfolio in Nigeria. “Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and boasts the second-largest economy on the continent, presenting tremendous opportunities for the country to play a key role in our African expansion” noted Simon Turner, Starwood Hotels & Resorts’ president of global development and acquisition.
But Starwood’s strategy is not limited to Nigeria, as management has announced plans to expand in other countries popular for travellers planning their holidays in Africa including Algeria, Egypt, South Arica, Angola, the Ivory Coast and Ghana.
With such grand plans in the pipeline, Starwood have also announced that it will be doubling up on the staff dedicated to focusing on its growth in the African continent.
Some of the popular Starwood brands include, Westin, Sheraton, W hotels, St. Regis and Le Meridien.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhino
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Explore the natural landscapes and wildlife that South Africa has to offer, before experiencing the Paradise of Seychelles.
- Relax in Seychelles, a resort set between a turquoise lagoon and verdant green hills, beside its own bay of white sands on the west coast of Mahe
- 5 days self drive tour in South Africa through the world famous Kruger National Park
- Have the time of your life, combining the best of both worlds!
Treat yourself to a wold look at South Africa and a luxury stay in Mauritius
- Near to Fisherman’s Cove, part of an unspoilt and authentic area of the island
- visit some of the oldest caves in the world - the Echo Caves - which have been declared a Historical Monument.
- The Lowveld, also referred to as “Big Game Country”, is the setting for dozens of game reserves teeming with wildlife and birds
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
This is a two-week journey that you will never forget as you are taken in by South Africa's wealth of wonders and...
South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic combinations of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...
Situated outside the city in a quiet and uplifting location by the seaside, the Ezzahra Dar Tunis enjoys a wonderfully...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...