Starwood hotels to take advantage of the popularity of Africa holidays with upcoming expansion plan
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc. recently announced a three year expansion plan that will see the American hotel brand become one of the top hotels for travellers booking Africa holidays come 2015. The hotel confirmed that it plans to increase its presence on the continent with an expansion into several key tourism markets including South Africa, Nigeria Egypt and Angola.
One of the world’s largest hotel companies, Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc, has recently announced a three year expansion plan which will see the hotel chain increase its presence in Africa by 30 per cent.
The firm is now the latest to take advantage of the growing popularity of Africa holidays with thrill seeking travellers from around the world. Starwood CEO, Frits van Paasschen stated the following of his hotel’s African growth strategy, “Home to seven of the world’s ten fastest growing economies, there could not be a better time to expand our footprint in Africa... From a vastly improving infrastructure, major investments from China, rapid economic growth, rising personal incomes and a growing middle class - we are seeing exciting changes that are driving the African future and we intend to be a part of it”.
With millions of adventure seeking travellers booking Africa holidays each year, drawn to the continent’s wildlife and awe inspiring landscapes there is little wonder why Starwood would seek to capitalise on the continent’s growing popularity as one of the best holiday destinations in the world.
Starwood is currently the proud operator of 38 hotels in Africa including hotels in key locations in Nigeria including, Abuja, Ibom, Port Harcourt and Lagos. By 2015 Starwood will add three more hotels- one in Benin City and two in Lagos, to its already impressive portfolio in Nigeria. “Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and boasts the second-largest economy on the continent, presenting tremendous opportunities for the country to play a key role in our African expansion” noted Simon Turner, Starwood Hotels & Resorts’ president of global development and acquisition.
But Starwood’s strategy is not limited to Nigeria, as management has announced plans to expand in other countries popular for travellers planning their holidays in Africa including Algeria, Egypt, South Arica, Angola, the Ivory Coast and Ghana.
With such grand plans in the pipeline, Starwood have also announced that it will be doubling up on the staff dedicated to focusing on its growth in the African continent.
Some of the popular Starwood brands include, Westin, Sheraton, W hotels, St. Regis and Le Meridien.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
From the amazing Blyde River Canyon to the iconic table Mountain, this tour has it all!
- Explore the underground Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn
- Visit a real Chief's village in Swaziland
- Go in search of Africa's 'Big Five' in Kruger National Park
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...
Oozing Moroccan charm through all its pores, this elegant and picturesque boutique hotel and "maison" sitting...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...