Sandals Resorts to reimburse customers whose Caribbean holidays were affected by Hurricane Sandy
The chairman of Sandals Resorts International recently announced the decision to reimburse those guests who Jamaica holidays may have been disrupted by Hurricane Sandy. The category two hurricane, dubbed "Frankenstorm" was said to have disrupted operations at Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios and impacted on the reopening of Beaches Ocho Rios. The offer for reimbursement applies only to the portion of the guests' stay that was interrupted by the hurricane.
Those unlucky travellers who recently jetted off to their eagerly anticipated Jamaica holidays hoping for the perfect blend of sun, sea and sand would have been sorely disappointed by the dramatic turn of events which the passing of Hurricane Sandy brought over the last week. In order to make it up to their disappointed guests, Sandals Resorts is stepping up to the challenge with the recently announced decision to reimburse those guests whose holidays to Jamaica were recently affected by Hurricane Sandy.
The category two hurricane, which has made headlines across the globe and has been dubbed “Frankenstorm” carried wind speeds in excess of 100mph as it passed through the Caribbean affecting operations in key markets including holiday resorts in Jamaica and the Bahamas. While Jamaica was said to have feared much better than previously anticipated, the Sandals Grande Riviera resort in Ocho Rios Jamaica and Beaches resort in Ocho Rios were reportedly impacted by the poor weather conditions.
The announcement to reimburse guests was made by the chairman of Sandals Resorts International, Mr Gordon “Butch” Stewart who explained, “We pride ourselves on the high level of investment we make in our resorts to ensure that they’re the best around. The most luxurious rooms and suites, the greatest restaurants, bars and cafés and stunning pools and much more all coupled with nature’s finest beaches and gardens. When one experiences a storm like this which causes the kind of damage it has, its limits the guest experience and that is totally unacceptable in our eyes. Take the case of Sandals Grande Riviera. We have just invested over $60m turning it into the envy of the industry. Within 24 hours, our team has had their ability to provide a high level of service severely impacted and our loyal guests deserve better… Obviously the storm is no one’s fault but this decision, while costly, is absolutely the proper thing to do and our guests appreciate it wholeheartedly”
The bold decision underscores the hotelier's commitment to customer service and will also undoubtedly serve to strengthen the Sandals brand in the eyes of current and future customers. As Mr Steward noted, “This gesture simply says: “We want you to experience the best; sadly we can’t offer that now but enjoy your trip anyway and come and visit again - on us”. There is little doubt that this goodwill gesture will encourage travellers to book yet more, albeit less eventful, Jamaica holidays with Sandals.
The offer for reimbursement applies only to the portion of the holiday that was interrupted by the hurricane.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...