Sandals Resorts to reimburse customers whose Caribbean holidays were affected by Hurricane Sandy
The chairman of Sandals Resorts International recently announced the decision to reimburse those guests who Jamaica holidays may have been disrupted by Hurricane Sandy. The category two hurricane, dubbed "Frankenstorm" was said to have disrupted operations at Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios and impacted on the reopening of Beaches Ocho Rios. The offer for reimbursement applies only to the portion of the guests' stay that was interrupted by the hurricane.
Those unlucky travellers who recently jetted off to their eagerly anticipated Jamaica holidays hoping for the perfect blend of sun, sea and sand would have been sorely disappointed by the dramatic turn of events which the passing of Hurricane Sandy brought over the last week. In order to make it up to their disappointed guests, Sandals Resorts is stepping up to the challenge with the recently announced decision to reimburse those guests whose holidays to Jamaica were recently affected by Hurricane Sandy.
The category two hurricane, which has made headlines across the globe and has been dubbed “Frankenstorm” carried wind speeds in excess of 100mph as it passed through the Caribbean affecting operations in key markets including holiday resorts in Jamaica and the Bahamas. While Jamaica was said to have feared much better than previously anticipated, the Sandals Grande Riviera resort in Ocho Rios Jamaica and Beaches resort in Ocho Rios were reportedly impacted by the poor weather conditions.
The announcement to reimburse guests was made by the chairman of Sandals Resorts International, Mr Gordon “Butch” Stewart who explained, “We pride ourselves on the high level of investment we make in our resorts to ensure that they’re the best around. The most luxurious rooms and suites, the greatest restaurants, bars and cafés and stunning pools and much more all coupled with nature’s finest beaches and gardens. When one experiences a storm like this which causes the kind of damage it has, its limits the guest experience and that is totally unacceptable in our eyes. Take the case of Sandals Grande Riviera. We have just invested over $60m turning it into the envy of the industry. Within 24 hours, our team has had their ability to provide a high level of service severely impacted and our loyal guests deserve better… Obviously the storm is no one’s fault but this decision, while costly, is absolutely the proper thing to do and our guests appreciate it wholeheartedly”
The bold decision underscores the hotelier's commitment to customer service and will also undoubtedly serve to strengthen the Sandals brand in the eyes of current and future customers. As Mr Steward noted, “This gesture simply says: “We want you to experience the best; sadly we can’t offer that now but enjoy your trip anyway and come and visit again - on us”. There is little doubt that this goodwill gesture will encourage travellers to book yet more, albeit less eventful, Jamaica holidays with Sandals.
The offer for reimbursement applies only to the portion of the holiday that was interrupted by the hurricane.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Soak in the vitamin D on Phuket’s sun-kissed coastline with a stay the Rawai Palm Beach Resort, a matter of steps from...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...