Sandals Resorts to reimburse customers whose Caribbean holidays were affected by Hurricane Sandy
The chairman of Sandals Resorts International recently announced the decision to reimburse those guests who Jamaica holidays may have been disrupted by Hurricane Sandy. The category two hurricane, dubbed "Frankenstorm" was said to have disrupted operations at Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios and impacted on the reopening of Beaches Ocho Rios. The offer for reimbursement applies only to the portion of the guests' stay that was interrupted by the hurricane.
Those unlucky travellers who recently jetted off to their eagerly anticipated Jamaica holidays hoping for the perfect blend of sun, sea and sand would have been sorely disappointed by the dramatic turn of events which the passing of Hurricane Sandy brought over the last week. In order to make it up to their disappointed guests, Sandals Resorts is stepping up to the challenge with the recently announced decision to reimburse those guests whose holidays to Jamaica were recently affected by Hurricane Sandy.
The category two hurricane, which has made headlines across the globe and has been dubbed “Frankenstorm” carried wind speeds in excess of 100mph as it passed through the Caribbean affecting operations in key markets including holiday resorts in Jamaica and the Bahamas. While Jamaica was said to have feared much better than previously anticipated, the Sandals Grande Riviera resort in Ocho Rios Jamaica and Beaches resort in Ocho Rios were reportedly impacted by the poor weather conditions.
The announcement to reimburse guests was made by the chairman of Sandals Resorts International, Mr Gordon “Butch” Stewart who explained, “We pride ourselves on the high level of investment we make in our resorts to ensure that they’re the best around. The most luxurious rooms and suites, the greatest restaurants, bars and cafés and stunning pools and much more all coupled with nature’s finest beaches and gardens. When one experiences a storm like this which causes the kind of damage it has, its limits the guest experience and that is totally unacceptable in our eyes. Take the case of Sandals Grande Riviera. We have just invested over $60m turning it into the envy of the industry. Within 24 hours, our team has had their ability to provide a high level of service severely impacted and our loyal guests deserve better… Obviously the storm is no one’s fault but this decision, while costly, is absolutely the proper thing to do and our guests appreciate it wholeheartedly”
The bold decision underscores the hotelier's commitment to customer service and will also undoubtedly serve to strengthen the Sandals brand in the eyes of current and future customers. As Mr Steward noted, “This gesture simply says: “We want you to experience the best; sadly we can’t offer that now but enjoy your trip anyway and come and visit again - on us”. There is little doubt that this goodwill gesture will encourage travellers to book yet more, albeit less eventful, Jamaica holidays with Sandals.
The offer for reimbursement applies only to the portion of the holiday that was interrupted by the hurricane.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Discover everything the ‘Island of the Gods’ has to offer with a stay in the buzzing Seminyak area
- Restore your inner balance at Taum Spa or take a surfing lesson
- Incredible value upgrades to private pool rooms
- Complimentary shuttle to town centre and Petitenget Beach
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...