Jamaica's holiday industry picking up the pieces after Hurricane Sandy
In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the Jamaica holiday industry is said to be quickly up the pieces in an effort to resume normal business activities. The hurricane proved to be less destructive than initially expected with the no major damage reported at any of the all inclusive Jamaica hotels at popular destinations like Montego Bay. All major highways throughout the island have been reopened; both of the isalnd's major international airports and all major sea ports have been re opened.
Following the impact of Hurricane Sandy, travellers who were previously planning to escape the winter cold and head to sunny Jamaica holidays will be pleased to learn that the island’s holiday industry is swiftly putting the pieces back together with most hotels in the island said to be resuming business as usual. Reports coming out of Jamaica suggest that the many luxury all inclusive resorts in Montego Bay and other popular tourist destinations in the island have been spared of any serious damages.
While the residents in some of Jamaica’s impoverished shanty towns with less structurally sound housing reported blown off roofs, Hurricane Sandy proved to be less dangerous than previously expected with highways throughout Jamaica reported to be reopened.
Post hurricane, the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association was quick to reassure the media that there was no major damage to Jamaican resorts in Montego Bay, Ochos Rios, Negril or the South Coast. News reports have also noted that both major international airports- the Norman Manley International Airport (KIN) in Kingston and Sangster International Airport (MBJ) have reopened with Jamaica flights now operating as usual.
Additionally, all ports including those at Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and the Historic Falmouth ports have been reopened. Following the hurricane warning, Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise line ships all changed their itineraries avoiding a stop at the Caribbean island which resulted in a loss of over 8000 passengers. The reopening of the ports will undoubtedly be a reassuring sign for Jamaican hoteliers and those planning cruising holidays in Jamaica.
With October historically proven to be a slow month for the island’s tourism industry, many all inclusive Jamaica hotels have been working hard to reassure their guests to minimise their financial loses. Management at the Sandy Haven Resort reportedly sent out emails as early as 6 a.m. on Thursday morning stating, “The western end of the island was quite calm, although precautions were put in place. All is back to normal and operations have been resumed”.
Other hoteliers are putting steps in place to accommodate those passengers whose flights were cancelled; one resort owner said to the Jamaica Gleaner that he would waive the cancellation penalty to avoid losing business in the already difficult month of October.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- All Inclusive Resort with all meals and beverages included
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Family Friendly Hotel where up to 2 Kids can stay and play for free
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- Have a break from the Kids with the adults only pool
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Enjoy an array of complimentary water sports & unlimited golf with transfers and green fees included
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...