British Airways commits to Caribbean flights despite rise in APD and fuel prices
British Airways has reasserted its commitment to providing routes for tourists taking Caribbean holidays despite the increase in fuel prices and Air Passenger Duty. The airline continues to offer regular flights to tropical destinations such as St Lucia, Antigua, Jamaica and Barbados throughout the forthcoming winter months.
This year has been a difficult year for airlines in the United Kingdom with the increased Air Passenger Duty and rise in fuel prices but British Airways has reassured customers that it is committed to providing regular services to its range of holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
The airline provides an array of routes for passengers planning Caribbean holidays and it will continue to offer regular flights to several countries in the region throughout the forthcoming winter and summer months.
Holidaymakers will be able to continue planning holidays in the Caribbean and flying with British Airways to idyllic islands including Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Bermuda.
British Airways currently services regular scheduled Caribbean routes from London Gatwick with daily flights to St Lucia, Barbados and Antigua during the summer months so that tourists can escape the plummeting temperatures in the UK and head off to tropical landscapes comprising white sandy beaches, lush green parks and turquoise ocean waters, while staying at luxury all inclusive beachfront Caribbean hotels and resorts.
In March this year, George Osborne announced in the Budget that Air Passenger Duty (APD) would increase by eight per cent from April 2012. This, together with rising fuel prices, has affected the number of travellers heading to long haul destinations, particularly the Caribbean.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
APD is calculated according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Though Florida and Hawaii are located further from the UK, the capital of the United States is New York which is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking flights to the Caribbean are charged more.
British Airways’ head of commercial at Gatwick Airport, Colm Lacy, explained: “The fuel cost on flying to the Caribbean is significant. It’s the main cost: almost 50 percent of the total. APD is big as well, given it has gone up 360 percent in the last six years. It is completely disproportionate. A family of four pays £324 to fly to the Caribbean [in economy], when flying to Miami it is £260. The Caribbean is unfairly penalised.”
In 2010, British Airways announced its new routes for holidays to the Caribbean during a conference in Barbados, as well as adding extra aircraft to its fleet in 2011.
“We’ve taken a little capacity out since then,” Lacy explained. “APD continues to go up. Fuel has gone up. Customers are paying more. Demand has fallen. So we are tweaking capacity, particularly in the summer. We’ve done our best to maintain as much as we can in winter.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...