Barbados set to become cruise holiday hub with new modern cruise facility
Barbados has announced that a brand new modern cruise facility will be built in the capital city of Bridgetown. The Sugar Point Cruise facility will welcome some of the world's biggest cruise ships while bringing large numbers of international tourists to their Barbados holidays and helping the island nation become a hub for cruise tourism.
A brand new modern cruise facility will be constructed on the island of Barbados in an effort to attract some of the largest cruise ships in the world.
The Sugar Point Cruise facility will be built in the capital city of Bridgetown and is expected to welcome large numbers of international cruise tourists as they arrive to their Barbados holidays via major cruise lines.
The development will be built on Trevor’s Way and 15 acres of land from the sea will be reclaimed with 100,000 square-feet of this used for commercial activity.
Dredging is scheduled to start in November, 2012 and once completed, the new cruise facility will feature separate cruise and cargo activities.
According to the Minister of International Business and International Transport, George Hutson, the development will be completed in two phases over two years. The initial stage will include the construction of two cruise piers, arrival and departure facilities plus car parks and is expected to cost $300 million.
The development is being jointly led by Barbados Port Incorporated, Barbadian company SMI Infrastructure Solutions Incorporated, and the second large cruise operator in the world, Royal Caribbean Cruise Limited.
The ultra-modern cruise facility will feature Barbados' rum and sugar culture as a major theme as well as locally made products and artwork that will be displayed and sold throughout.
Minister Hutson says that the government hopes that it will attract more cruise ships which will result in an increase in revenue generated from tourists taking holidays to Barbados, and the facility will become a hub for cruise tourism.
The project will also create 200 construction jobs and a further 500 jobs in commercial activities.
Cruise tourism in Barbados has increased steadily over the years and in 2011, 726,543 holidaymakers visited the Caribbean island during cruise holidays.
Barbados is an island nation situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, north east of Venezuela, and is one of the leading destinations for Caribbean holidays.
The island is home to home to some of the world’s most stunning pink sand beaches, warm turquoise ocean waters, luxurious beachfront Barbados hotels, and sunny, tropical weather.
During holidays in Barbados, tourists can enjoy scuba diving or snorkelling adventures in turquoise crystal clear waters; hike through verdant nature reserves including the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary; shop in boutiques and traditional markets; and visit the historic towns of Holetown, Speightstown, and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bridgetown.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Free room upgrade to next available room
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Sugar Bay is perfect for travelling solo, enjoying a romantic getaway or special family escape
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- Enjoy a Hot Summer now on with savings of upto 40% plus $20 Spa Credit per person
- Ideally located only 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the capital, Bridgetown
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...