Gaviota chain of Cuba hotels expands to accommodate growing Russian tourist market
Seeing as the emerging market of Russian tourists is growing at a rapid pace, the Cuban chain of hotels, Gaviota S.A. is stepping up to the challenge of accommodating more Russian visitors with the building of new Cuba hotels and the creation of new tourist facilities to make Cuba holidays even more appealing to the new market of travellers from the former Soviet Union.
In order to keep up with rising demand from tourists the world over, but more specifically for the new emerging market of Russian travellers heading to the island, Cuba is stepping up their game by investing heavily in tourism infrastructure with the development of new hotels in joint partnership with Russian hotel companies.
As more and more Russian travellers flock to the island for nostalgic Cuba holidays in a country that used to have strong political ties during the era of the former Soviet Union, the island is banking on a newly risen interest from the giant Asian country with new plans for the constructions of more hotels in Cuba to accommodate a growing number of Russian visitors.
The new challenges to accommodate a rapidly expanding influx of Russian tourists were debated during the 18th International Tourism Fair Leisure 2012, which concluded last Saturday 22nd September, with a large Latin American presence.
During the event Cuba’s tourist board reviewed new offers to expand tourism facilities with the help of Russian investment and partnerships. They also took the opportunity to update their current tourist offerings with Russian tour operators and partners. In particular it was the Cuban chain of hotels, Gaviota, which presented its tourist offers to the Russian market. The Cuban hotelier promoted its hotels during the event, mainly those in the keys of the province of Villa Clara, more particularly in Cayo Coco.
The tour agency director of sales (for the island's central provinces) at Gaviota, Aurelio Portillo, told Prensa Latina of the event's discussions and future projects for the further development of Cuba's tourism infrastructure to draw in more Russian visitors and entice more travellers to go on holidays to Cuba.
"This is a development to increase the tourist facilities, as extra-hotel villages, with food service, sports halls, nightclubs, bowling alleys and a dolphinarium in Cayo Santa Maria, with a marina enlarged with 200 new berths," he said.
At present, the number of hotels in Havana provide a total 5,600 rooms, and for this winter season another 122 new rooms will be opened with the inauguration of a brand new hotel to be operated by the Russian Blue Diamond Hotels chain, plus yet another new hotel, the Piedra Movida, providing a further 800 rooms, Aurelio explained.
"The Playa Coco Hotel, at the beginning managed by Blue Bay chain and now by the Blue Diamond Hotels, which also operates another hotel, the Flamenco 1," Portillo noted.
Aurelio went on to say how the ambitious project for new hotels in Cayo Coco will continue its development, but with the same expansions carried out at Cayo Santa Maria: extra-hotel villages, a new marina, aquariums and other new facilities for the tourists.
“During the fair, we discussed with Tierra Mar, Bideoglobus and Tez tour operators, with which we have traditional ties and represent significant increases in sending tourists to Cuba,” Aurelio Portillo stressed.
According to Aurelio Portillo, the market prospects are very bright and not only predict an ongoing growth for Cuba's holiday industry, but the future also looks bright for tourist destinations like Brazil, Mexico and the Dominican Republic, who are the island's main competitors in the Caribbean area, he admitted.
Another goal at the tourist fair held in Russia was the presentation of a third international underwater event to be held from 17th to 21st next year, the third edition of the underwater photography contest, Imasub 2013.
"We also presented combined offers, because Russian tourism is concentrated in Varadero and Havana, so we are looking forward to taking advantage of a flight from Havana to Cayo Santa Maria with that purpose," the Cuban hotel director concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...