Gaviota chain of Cuba hotels expands to accommodate growing Russian tourist market
Seeing as the emerging market of Russian tourists is growing at a rapid pace, the Cuban chain of hotels, Gaviota S.A. is stepping up to the challenge of accommodating more Russian visitors with the building of new Cuba hotels and the creation of new tourist facilities to make Cuba holidays even more appealing to the new market of travellers from the former Soviet Union.
In order to keep up with rising demand from tourists the world over, but more specifically for the new emerging market of Russian travellers heading to the island, Cuba is stepping up their game by investing heavily in tourism infrastructure with the development of new hotels in joint partnership with Russian hotel companies.
As more and more Russian travellers flock to the island for nostalgic Cuba holidays in a country that used to have strong political ties during the era of the former Soviet Union, the island is banking on a newly risen interest from the giant Asian country with new plans for the constructions of more hotels in Cuba to accommodate a growing number of Russian visitors.
The new challenges to accommodate a rapidly expanding influx of Russian tourists were debated during the 18th International Tourism Fair Leisure 2012, which concluded last Saturday 22nd September, with a large Latin American presence.
During the event Cuba’s tourist board reviewed new offers to expand tourism facilities with the help of Russian investment and partnerships. They also took the opportunity to update their current tourist offerings with Russian tour operators and partners. In particular it was the Cuban chain of hotels, Gaviota, which presented its tourist offers to the Russian market. The Cuban hotelier promoted its hotels during the event, mainly those in the keys of the province of Villa Clara, more particularly in Cayo Coco.
The tour agency director of sales (for the island's central provinces) at Gaviota, Aurelio Portillo, told Prensa Latina of the event's discussions and future projects for the further development of Cuba's tourism infrastructure to draw in more Russian visitors and entice more travellers to go on holidays to Cuba.
"This is a development to increase the tourist facilities, as extra-hotel villages, with food service, sports halls, nightclubs, bowling alleys and a dolphinarium in Cayo Santa Maria, with a marina enlarged with 200 new berths," he said.
At present, the number of hotels in Havana provide a total 5,600 rooms, and for this winter season another 122 new rooms will be opened with the inauguration of a brand new hotel to be operated by the Russian Blue Diamond Hotels chain, plus yet another new hotel, the Piedra Movida, providing a further 800 rooms, Aurelio explained.
"The Playa Coco Hotel, at the beginning managed by Blue Bay chain and now by the Blue Diamond Hotels, which also operates another hotel, the Flamenco 1," Portillo noted.
Aurelio went on to say how the ambitious project for new hotels in Cayo Coco will continue its development, but with the same expansions carried out at Cayo Santa Maria: extra-hotel villages, a new marina, aquariums and other new facilities for the tourists.
“During the fair, we discussed with Tierra Mar, Bideoglobus and Tez tour operators, with which we have traditional ties and represent significant increases in sending tourists to Cuba,” Aurelio Portillo stressed.
According to Aurelio Portillo, the market prospects are very bright and not only predict an ongoing growth for Cuba's holiday industry, but the future also looks bright for tourist destinations like Brazil, Mexico and the Dominican Republic, who are the island's main competitors in the Caribbean area, he admitted.
Another goal at the tourist fair held in Russia was the presentation of a third international underwater event to be held from 17th to 21st next year, the third edition of the underwater photography contest, Imasub 2013.
"We also presented combined offers, because Russian tourism is concentrated in Varadero and Havana, so we are looking forward to taking advantage of a flight from Havana to Cayo Santa Maria with that purpose," the Cuban hotel director concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...