ABTA survey reveals 6 in 10 conservative MPs in the UK support a reduction in APD
A new survey published by ABTA has revealed that six in ten Conservative MPs in the United Kingdom believe that a reduction in Air Passenger Duty (APD) could lead to a growth in the economy. The current APD rates are higher than anywhere else and holidaymakers have to pay more for their flights to Caribbean holidays and other long haul destinations since the eight percent rise came into effect in April 2012.
The Air Passenger Duty (APD) debate continues across the UK and a new survey published by the Travel Association, ABTA, has revealed that six in ten Conservative MPs in the UK are in favour of reducing APD.
In March this year, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, announced that APD would be rising by eight per cent which would significantly affect the amount of tax paid on flights to Caribbean holidays and other long-haul destinations.
The increase fuelled a new campaign called “A Fair Tax on Flying” and over 250,000 emails were sent to MPs from British residents and foreign travellers urging them to review the impact that the increased APD has on UK growth and jobs.
According to the ComRes survey in which 150 MPs participated, 61 per cent of Conservative MPs believe that a reduction could stimulate growth and 57 per cent believe that APD is damaging the UK’s position as a global air travel hub.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Out of all of the 150 MPs asked, 49 per cent of them believe that the existing rates of APD are putting UK businesses at a competitive disadvantage and this could have a serious affect on the number of foreign travellers who book Caribbean flights and air fares to long haul destinations from the UK.
APD is calculated according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Though Florida and Hawaii are located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking flights to the Caribbean are charged more.
The cost of APD for a family of four flying to destinations such as the United States or Egypt has risen from £240 to £260, and the same family taking holidays in the Caribbean or South Africa now have to pay £324, compared to the previous £300.
“At a time when we are facing one of the toughest ever downturns in history, the Government must take every measure to get the country back on track to growth,” explained The CEO of ABTA, Mark Tanzer.
“The very fact that half of MPs believe current rates of APD are damaging the economy is a clear indication we need a review into the impacts of this tax before it does any further damage. Other governments, such as the Dutch, abolished the tax after a review found that the revenue raised was outweighed by the revenue lost. This summer has also shown there is overwhelming public support for a review so now the Government is back from recess we call on them to listen and act.”
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Caribbean in particular is concerned about the rising cost of APD and the region heavily relies on tourism to support its economy. If fewer British travellers book holidays in the Caribbean, local companies such as tourist attractions, restaurants, tour operators and Caribbean hotels and resorts could lose vital business and be forced to close down.
The “A Fair Tax on Flying” campaign was launched by the Airports Operators Association and the industry coalition which includes more than 30 airlines, tour operators, airports and organisations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...