ABTA survey reveals 6 in 10 conservative MPs in the UK support a reduction in APD
A new survey published by ABTA has revealed that six in ten Conservative MPs in the United Kingdom believe that a reduction in Air Passenger Duty (APD) could lead to a growth in the economy. The current APD rates are higher than anywhere else and holidaymakers have to pay more for their flights to Caribbean holidays and other long haul destinations since the eight percent rise came into effect in April 2012.
The Air Passenger Duty (APD) debate continues across the UK and a new survey published by the Travel Association, ABTA, has revealed that six in ten Conservative MPs in the UK are in favour of reducing APD.
In March this year, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, announced that APD would be rising by eight per cent which would significantly affect the amount of tax paid on flights to Caribbean holidays and other long-haul destinations.
The increase fuelled a new campaign called “A Fair Tax on Flying” and over 250,000 emails were sent to MPs from British residents and foreign travellers urging them to review the impact that the increased APD has on UK growth and jobs.
According to the ComRes survey in which 150 MPs participated, 61 per cent of Conservative MPs believe that a reduction could stimulate growth and 57 per cent believe that APD is damaging the UK’s position as a global air travel hub.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Out of all of the 150 MPs asked, 49 per cent of them believe that the existing rates of APD are putting UK businesses at a competitive disadvantage and this could have a serious affect on the number of foreign travellers who book Caribbean flights and air fares to long haul destinations from the UK.
APD is calculated according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Though Florida and Hawaii are located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking flights to the Caribbean are charged more.
The cost of APD for a family of four flying to destinations such as the United States or Egypt has risen from £240 to £260, and the same family taking holidays in the Caribbean or South Africa now have to pay £324, compared to the previous £300.
“At a time when we are facing one of the toughest ever downturns in history, the Government must take every measure to get the country back on track to growth,” explained The CEO of ABTA, Mark Tanzer.
“The very fact that half of MPs believe current rates of APD are damaging the economy is a clear indication we need a review into the impacts of this tax before it does any further damage. Other governments, such as the Dutch, abolished the tax after a review found that the revenue raised was outweighed by the revenue lost. This summer has also shown there is overwhelming public support for a review so now the Government is back from recess we call on them to listen and act.”
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Caribbean in particular is concerned about the rising cost of APD and the region heavily relies on tourism to support its economy. If fewer British travellers book holidays in the Caribbean, local companies such as tourist attractions, restaurants, tour operators and Caribbean hotels and resorts could lose vital business and be forced to close down.
The “A Fair Tax on Flying” campaign was launched by the Airports Operators Association and the industry coalition which includes more than 30 airlines, tour operators, airports and organisations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...