Number of Russian tourists going on Cuba holidays has doubled over last 2 years
More Russian tourists have taken Cuba holidays over the past two years according the Cuban government. The increase in travellers from Russia visiting the island nation is partly due to their favoured holiday spots being caught up in the Arab Spring. Many Cuban tourist sites also feature mock Soviet nuclear missiles which are of interest to many visitors.
The number of Russian tourists visiting the island nation of Cuba has more than doubled over the past two years, according to the Cuban government.
Many Russians are choosing Cuba holidays because their favoured holiday spots have been caught up in the Arab Spring, while other tourists from the USSR are keen to visit tourist sites on the island that have mock Soviet nuclear missiles.
Most holidaymakers from the world over head to the island to relax on the pristine sandy beaches, go scuba diving and snorkelling in turquoise waters, and visit the country’s historic cities and sites.
Cuba was once home to thousands of USSR military and intelligence personnel but the Russian Embassy in Havana is one of the only few traces left from this era.
The increase in tourists from the former Soviet Union going on holidays to Cuba has been helped by new direct air routes between Russia and the island nation, making Cuba travel easier for Russian travellers.
Image by: picsofoli, on Flickr
Cuba is situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, and the communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury Cuba hotels, and the second largest barrier reef in the world.
Last year, a total of 78,500 visitors arrived from Russia and in the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount compared to the same period in 2011.
Cuba welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled. The country is expected to receive at least 2.9 million tourists by the end of 2012.
Popular destinations for holidaymakers on the island include Varadero with 20km of white sandy coastline and upscale hotels and resorts; the Jardines del Rey archipelago where tourists can enjoy magnificent scuba diving and snorkelling activities along the barrier reef; the Villa Clara Keys with its range of beautiful natural landscapes such as the lush green Escambray Mountains, azure ocean and lakes, nature parks, sugar-soft beaches and dunes, and spectacular wildlife; and the bustling capital city of Havana where visitors can explore historic buildings, savour excellent Cuban cuisine, and soak up the vibrant party atmosphere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...