Number of Russian tourists going on Cuba holidays has doubled over last 2 years
More Russian tourists have taken Cuba holidays over the past two years according the Cuban government. The increase in travellers from Russia visiting the island nation is partly due to their favoured holiday spots being caught up in the Arab Spring. Many Cuban tourist sites also feature mock Soviet nuclear missiles which are of interest to many visitors.
The number of Russian tourists visiting the island nation of Cuba has more than doubled over the past two years, according to the Cuban government.
Many Russians are choosing Cuba holidays because their favoured holiday spots have been caught up in the Arab Spring, while other tourists from the USSR are keen to visit tourist sites on the island that have mock Soviet nuclear missiles.
Most holidaymakers from the world over head to the island to relax on the pristine sandy beaches, go scuba diving and snorkelling in turquoise waters, and visit the country’s historic cities and sites.
Cuba was once home to thousands of USSR military and intelligence personnel but the Russian Embassy in Havana is one of the only few traces left from this era.
The increase in tourists from the former Soviet Union going on holidays to Cuba has been helped by new direct air routes between Russia and the island nation, making Cuba travel easier for Russian travellers.
Image by: picsofoli, on Flickr
Cuba is situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, and the communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury Cuba hotels, and the second largest barrier reef in the world.
Last year, a total of 78,500 visitors arrived from Russia and in the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount compared to the same period in 2011.
Cuba welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled. The country is expected to receive at least 2.9 million tourists by the end of 2012.
Popular destinations for holidaymakers on the island include Varadero with 20km of white sandy coastline and upscale hotels and resorts; the Jardines del Rey archipelago where tourists can enjoy magnificent scuba diving and snorkelling activities along the barrier reef; the Villa Clara Keys with its range of beautiful natural landscapes such as the lush green Escambray Mountains, azure ocean and lakes, nature parks, sugar-soft beaches and dunes, and spectacular wildlife; and the bustling capital city of Havana where visitors can explore historic buildings, savour excellent Cuban cuisine, and soak up the vibrant party atmosphere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a fantastic Havana City Tour
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...