Number of Russian tourists going on Cuba holidays has doubled over last 2 years
More Russian tourists have taken Cuba holidays over the past two years according the Cuban government. The increase in travellers from Russia visiting the island nation is partly due to their favoured holiday spots being caught up in the Arab Spring. Many Cuban tourist sites also feature mock Soviet nuclear missiles which are of interest to many visitors.
The number of Russian tourists visiting the island nation of Cuba has more than doubled over the past two years, according to the Cuban government.
Many Russians are choosing Cuba holidays because their favoured holiday spots have been caught up in the Arab Spring, while other tourists from the USSR are keen to visit tourist sites on the island that have mock Soviet nuclear missiles.
Most holidaymakers from the world over head to the island to relax on the pristine sandy beaches, go scuba diving and snorkelling in turquoise waters, and visit the country’s historic cities and sites.
Cuba was once home to thousands of USSR military and intelligence personnel but the Russian Embassy in Havana is one of the only few traces left from this era.
The increase in tourists from the former Soviet Union going on holidays to Cuba has been helped by new direct air routes between Russia and the island nation, making Cuba travel easier for Russian travellers.
Image by: picsofoli, on Flickr
Cuba is situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, and the communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury Cuba hotels, and the second largest barrier reef in the world.
Last year, a total of 78,500 visitors arrived from Russia and in the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount compared to the same period in 2011.
Cuba welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled. The country is expected to receive at least 2.9 million tourists by the end of 2012.
Popular destinations for holidaymakers on the island include Varadero with 20km of white sandy coastline and upscale hotels and resorts; the Jardines del Rey archipelago where tourists can enjoy magnificent scuba diving and snorkelling activities along the barrier reef; the Villa Clara Keys with its range of beautiful natural landscapes such as the lush green Escambray Mountains, azure ocean and lakes, nature parks, sugar-soft beaches and dunes, and spectacular wildlife; and the bustling capital city of Havana where visitors can explore historic buildings, savour excellent Cuban cuisine, and soak up the vibrant party atmosphere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...