Number of Russian tourists going on Cuba holidays has doubled over last 2 years
More Russian tourists have taken Cuba holidays over the past two years according the Cuban government. The increase in travellers from Russia visiting the island nation is partly due to their favoured holiday spots being caught up in the Arab Spring. Many Cuban tourist sites also feature mock Soviet nuclear missiles which are of interest to many visitors.
The number of Russian tourists visiting the island nation of Cuba has more than doubled over the past two years, according to the Cuban government.
Many Russians are choosing Cuba holidays because their favoured holiday spots have been caught up in the Arab Spring, while other tourists from the USSR are keen to visit tourist sites on the island that have mock Soviet nuclear missiles.
Most holidaymakers from the world over head to the island to relax on the pristine sandy beaches, go scuba diving and snorkelling in turquoise waters, and visit the country’s historic cities and sites.
Cuba was once home to thousands of USSR military and intelligence personnel but the Russian Embassy in Havana is one of the only few traces left from this era.
The increase in tourists from the former Soviet Union going on holidays to Cuba has been helped by new direct air routes between Russia and the island nation, making Cuba travel easier for Russian travellers.
Image by: picsofoli, on Flickr
Cuba is situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, and the communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury Cuba hotels, and the second largest barrier reef in the world.
Last year, a total of 78,500 visitors arrived from Russia and in the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount compared to the same period in 2011.
Cuba welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled. The country is expected to receive at least 2.9 million tourists by the end of 2012.
Popular destinations for holidaymakers on the island include Varadero with 20km of white sandy coastline and upscale hotels and resorts; the Jardines del Rey archipelago where tourists can enjoy magnificent scuba diving and snorkelling activities along the barrier reef; the Villa Clara Keys with its range of beautiful natural landscapes such as the lush green Escambray Mountains, azure ocean and lakes, nature parks, sugar-soft beaches and dunes, and spectacular wildlife; and the bustling capital city of Havana where visitors can explore historic buildings, savour excellent Cuban cuisine, and soak up the vibrant party atmosphere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...