UNWTO praises the development of the tourism industry and the popularity of Cuba holidays despite U.S. Embargo
During a recent statement to Cuban news agency group, Prensa Latina, the Secretary General of the World Tourism Organisation commended the ability of the island's tourism industry to develop and grow against the odds and despite the 50-year-long U.S. embargo imposed on the island by the American government. The UNWTO executive highlighted the growing popularity of Cuba holidays in the face of unmovable political and economical obstacles.
The Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), Taleb Rifai recently praised Cuba’s growing tourism industry and its ongoing success and development despite the increasing obstacles the island faced as a result of the 50-year-long economical blockade imposed by the United States.
Mr Rifai told Cuban news agency Prensa Latina that without the siege put in place by the U.S. government, thousands more travellers would be taking Cuba holidays, especially from the United States since at present American citizens are not allowed to visit the country for tourist purposes. If it weren’t for the embargo, the island would be more accessible to a larger segment of the global tourist markets and the implementation of multi-destination holidays to Cuba and other Caribbean destinations would be more straightforward.
Obama initially introduced some steps to ease the strict legislation on Cuba travel for Americans and created the cultural People to People travel scheme, allowing contact between the two countries. But these cultural trips were limited to a number of people only travelling for educational, cultural, humanitarian, who had to obtain special permission to be legally allowed to visit the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
In a statement to Prensa Latina, the UNWTO executive highlighted the combination of fantastic tourism hotsports, beautiful beaches and the local culture in Cuba, as a decisive factor distinguishing the island as a unique destination in the regional market.
The top executive is attending three international events in Quito, in which Cuban deputy tourism minister Xiomara Martinez is also participating as a delegate to the 54th UNWTO Regional Commission for The Americas. These forums that Mr Rifai is attending predicted the growth of global tourism by 5 per cent this year and the Secretary-General noted that the European crisis had affected the world tourism market the most because of this region being a major source of travellers.
Xiomara Martinez, the Cuban Deputy Tourism Minister also attending the event, said that Cuba expects to receive 2.9 million tourists this year, particularly from Canada, which is the main source of holidaymakers for the island. She explained that the Cuban tourist product is currently diversifying beyond what is known as the typical sun and beach holidays in Cuba, based on modalities such as incentive travel, events and nature tourism and as a multidestination in the region.
Image by: RobWilliamsJnr, on Flickr
Some of the reasons why an increasing number of international tourists are showing a growing interest in Cuba holidays include the island's unique natural and historical values, the skillful human resources, air connections through 45 airline companies operating in a dozen airports, plus the implementation of environment-friendly strategies, the deputy minister said.
At present, the island has a total of 58,000 hotel rooms, which will soon be joined by another 10,000 included in the 2013-2016 development programme which will see the opening of new Cuba hotels across the archipelago, Martinez added.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...