UNWTO praises the development of the tourism industry and the popularity of Cuba holidays despite U.S. Embargo
During a recent statement to Cuban news agency group, Prensa Latina, the Secretary General of the World Tourism Organisation commended the ability of the island's tourism industry to develop and grow against the odds and despite the 50-year-long U.S. embargo imposed on the island by the American government. The UNWTO executive highlighted the growing popularity of Cuba holidays in the face of unmovable political and economical obstacles.
The Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), Taleb Rifai recently praised Cuba’s growing tourism industry and its ongoing success and development despite the increasing obstacles the island faced as a result of the 50-year-long economical blockade imposed by the United States.
Mr Rifai told Cuban news agency Prensa Latina that without the siege put in place by the U.S. government, thousands more travellers would be taking Cuba holidays, especially from the United States since at present American citizens are not allowed to visit the country for tourist purposes. If it weren’t for the embargo, the island would be more accessible to a larger segment of the global tourist markets and the implementation of multi-destination holidays to Cuba and other Caribbean destinations would be more straightforward.
Obama initially introduced some steps to ease the strict legislation on Cuba travel for Americans and created the cultural People to People travel scheme, allowing contact between the two countries. But these cultural trips were limited to a number of people only travelling for educational, cultural, humanitarian, who had to obtain special permission to be legally allowed to visit the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
In a statement to Prensa Latina, the UNWTO executive highlighted the combination of fantastic tourism hotsports, beautiful beaches and the local culture in Cuba, as a decisive factor distinguishing the island as a unique destination in the regional market.
The top executive is attending three international events in Quito, in which Cuban deputy tourism minister Xiomara Martinez is also participating as a delegate to the 54th UNWTO Regional Commission for The Americas. These forums that Mr Rifai is attending predicted the growth of global tourism by 5 per cent this year and the Secretary-General noted that the European crisis had affected the world tourism market the most because of this region being a major source of travellers.
Xiomara Martinez, the Cuban Deputy Tourism Minister also attending the event, said that Cuba expects to receive 2.9 million tourists this year, particularly from Canada, which is the main source of holidaymakers for the island. She explained that the Cuban tourist product is currently diversifying beyond what is known as the typical sun and beach holidays in Cuba, based on modalities such as incentive travel, events and nature tourism and as a multidestination in the region.
Image by: RobWilliamsJnr, on Flickr
Some of the reasons why an increasing number of international tourists are showing a growing interest in Cuba holidays include the island's unique natural and historical values, the skillful human resources, air connections through 45 airline companies operating in a dozen airports, plus the implementation of environment-friendly strategies, the deputy minister said.
At present, the island has a total of 58,000 hotel rooms, which will soon be joined by another 10,000 included in the 2013-2016 development programme which will see the opening of new Cuba hotels across the archipelago, Martinez added.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...