More Cuba hotels in the pipeline with new Cayo Coco hotel and more refurbishment projects planned
Cuba tourism officials have confirmed the building of a new hotel property in Cayo Coco and the ongoing refurbishment works being carried out at a selection of Cuba hotels. The renovation projects aim not only to accommodate a larger influx of visitors as demand for Cuba holidays increases, but also to restore some old properties its former glory.
After the recent inaguration of a new E-hotel in Cienfuegos’ residential neighbourhood of Punta Gorda, Cuban tourism officials have confirmed the construction of more hotels in Cuba and the ongoing restoration works of many existing ones.
An official from the Provincial Committee of the Communist Party in the island, Lidia Esther Brunet Nodarse recently unveiled the plans for the new Cuba hotels in the pipeline and thanked the sponsors’ investments in the projects.
She also explained how the first hotel in the works was new property to be built in Cayo Coco, a new five-star hotel with 518 rooms which is scheduled for completion by the end of 2014. Besides the new Cayo Coco Coco, the complete restoration and renovation of the International Hotel of Varadero (the first one to have ever been built on the famed 20-kilometre beach stretch back in the 1950s) with a total of 800 rooms. Once an iconic resort property, Gran Caribe plans to restore its former grandeur after years of falling standards. After the renovation it aims to restore its prestige as one of the landmark Varadero hotels.
“We are not talking of their redesigning as they are new hotels that will increase the Gran Caribe hotel chain’s capacity to almost 14 thousand rooms, thus increasing their new incomes and efficiency." Lidia Esther Brunet Nodarse said.
Lidia went on to explain "By the end of the first six months of the current year, the aforementioned hotel chain grew up to and eleven per cent of the tourist income in comparison to the previous one and a six per cent of tourists due to the new price of the tourist package and the local hotels' middle average."
"The plan is conceived for four million tourists and more than 300 thousand national ones given that the internal segment constitutes an important market for the local incomes." Lidia concluded.
At present the Gran Caribe hotel chain has over 12,000 rooms worldwide, as well as 44,000 in Cuba. The new hotel projects and improvements to existing properties have the aim of not only restoring some Cuba hotels' former beauty but also enhancing accommodation capacity as demand grows for Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers.
"Cienfuegos has properly maintained all these years the Jagua hotel and the Tourism Ministry gave to the Gran Caribe hotel chain, the Unión, Palacio Azul, Rancho Luna and the Faro Luna hotels which is located in the main hotel square of the city which allows to develop the local hotel complex according to the requirements in terms of proper service, quality and incomes." she added on a final note.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...