Jamaica records 6.4 per cent increase in overnight travellers going on holidays to the island this summer
The number of overnight travellers who took Jamaica holidays between 1st May and 7th August, 2012 increased by 6.4 per cent compared to the same period in 2011. The total number of visitors during the four-month period was recorded at 539,957 and according to Jamaica's Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Wykeham McNeill, further growth is expected in forthcoming months of 2012.
Jamaica has recorded a 6.4 per cent increase in the number of overnight arrivals between 1st May and 7th August 2012, compared to the same period last year.
According to Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Wykeham McNeill, 539,957 travellers took brief Jamaica holidays during the four-month period which was 32,000 more arrivals than the same months in 2011.
Mr McNeill explained that the increase in overnight visitors staying at Jamaica hotels was due to “aggressive marketing, through which we have been able to drive the inflow of visitors to the island. The tourism sector is poised for further growth in 2012 and will provide a welcome boost to the economy.”
Jamaica is situated right at the heart of the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world’s leading tourist destinations. With white sand beaches fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters, majestic mountains and lush rolling green hills and forests, travellers will be spoilt for choice during tropical holidays in Jamaica.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Caribbean island nation is celebrating its 50th Independence Anniversary this year and over the past few months a series of events and fun activities have taken place with many more planned in the forthcoming months such as the Aquacade – Downtown Regatta & CultureFest in September; Heritage Festival in October; Open & Pro Am Golf Tournament and the Awards Ceremony in November; and a Concert & Fireworks in December.
Jamaica is famous for its laid-back lifestyle, delicious authentic cuisine and is well known as the homeland of the legendary singer Bob Marley. The country is a popular place to enjoy a relaxing holiday in the Caribbean, tropical weddings and romantic honeymoons. Visitors can choose from an array of luxurious villas, resorts and hotels in Jamaica that will suit every budget.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
During holidays to Jamaica, holidaymakers can explore the natural wonders of the island including Dunn’s River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor’s Cave Beach in Montego Bay, tropical botanical gardens and the majestic Blue Mountains. Tourists can also enjoy visits to the famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour and the historic sugar plantations.
Last year, Jamaica was voted as the “Caribbean’s Leading Destination” for the sixth year in a row at the World Travel Awards ceremony.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Enjoy the private beach and Sugar Mill Falls Water Park nearby
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...