Jamaica records 6.4 per cent increase in overnight travellers going on holidays to the island this summer
The number of overnight travellers who took Jamaica holidays between 1st May and 7th August, 2012 increased by 6.4 per cent compared to the same period in 2011. The total number of visitors during the four-month period was recorded at 539,957 and according to Jamaica's Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Wykeham McNeill, further growth is expected in forthcoming months of 2012.
Jamaica has recorded a 6.4 per cent increase in the number of overnight arrivals between 1st May and 7th August 2012, compared to the same period last year.
According to Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Wykeham McNeill, 539,957 travellers took brief Jamaica holidays during the four-month period which was 32,000 more arrivals than the same months in 2011.
Mr McNeill explained that the increase in overnight visitors staying at Jamaica hotels was due to “aggressive marketing, through which we have been able to drive the inflow of visitors to the island. The tourism sector is poised for further growth in 2012 and will provide a welcome boost to the economy.”
Jamaica is situated right at the heart of the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world’s leading tourist destinations. With white sand beaches fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters, majestic mountains and lush rolling green hills and forests, travellers will be spoilt for choice during tropical holidays in Jamaica.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Caribbean island nation is celebrating its 50th Independence Anniversary this year and over the past few months a series of events and fun activities have taken place with many more planned in the forthcoming months such as the Aquacade – Downtown Regatta & CultureFest in September; Heritage Festival in October; Open & Pro Am Golf Tournament and the Awards Ceremony in November; and a Concert & Fireworks in December.
Jamaica is famous for its laid-back lifestyle, delicious authentic cuisine and is well known as the homeland of the legendary singer Bob Marley. The country is a popular place to enjoy a relaxing holiday in the Caribbean, tropical weddings and romantic honeymoons. Visitors can choose from an array of luxurious villas, resorts and hotels in Jamaica that will suit every budget.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
During holidays to Jamaica, holidaymakers can explore the natural wonders of the island including Dunn’s River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor’s Cave Beach in Montego Bay, tropical botanical gardens and the majestic Blue Mountains. Tourists can also enjoy visits to the famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour and the historic sugar plantations.
Last year, Jamaica was voted as the “Caribbean’s Leading Destination” for the sixth year in a row at the World Travel Awards ceremony.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...