Visitor numbers to leisure hotels in the United Arab Emirates drop slightly during Ramadan
Hotel occupancy levels in the United Arab Emirates dropped slightly during the Ramadan period, according to hoteliers and industry experts. The number of business travellers fell by approximately 30 per cent during Ramadan which is relatively normal but the number of leisure travellers taking Middle East holidays in Dubai or Abu Dhabi also fell slightly.
Visitor numbers at hotels in the United Arab Emirates dropped during the recent Ramadan period and while bookings in corporate hotels were expected to fall, leisure hotels also experienced a slight drop in numbers.
Average occupancies in corporate hotels in the emirates fell by approximately 30 per cent which was expected because many business travellers head off to spend the holidays at home during Ramadan, but leisure hotels also recorded a slight fall.
This year’s Ramadan took place in the midst of summer from 20th July to 18th August and the period is usually a very popular time for travellers to take Dubai holidays or breaks in Abu Dhabi and Egypt to celebrate the Holy Month.
Rotana Hotels recorded a 10 per cent drop in occupancies during Ramadan. Adrian Deegan, the Area Director of Sales for Rotana, explained: “From May 15 until the beginning of Ramadan, the hotels were running at a pretty good occupancy – they were in the 70s on average.
Image by: Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, on Flickr
“Rates have dropped about 10 per cent since the start of Ramadan. But we were expecting that, it was not a surprise.”
Kempinski operates hotels in Dubai and other Middle Eastern and African destination and Avsar Koc, the Regional Sales Director for Kempinski - Middle East & Africa, said that its UAE hotels were performing as expected.
“Holidaymakers continue to choose UAE as their preferred destination as we have seen a steady amount of leisure business,” he said.
Haitham Mattar, Hilton’s Vice President of Sales for Middle East, Africa, East Europe & Russia, said that the group’s hotels saw “healthy pick-up across the region” during the month and many travellers from the United States, Unites Kingdom and Germany took holidays in Dubai and Ras Al Khaimah.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Hoteliers across the United Arab Emirates hope that occupancy levels during the Eid al-Fitr festival, which celebrates the end of the month of fasting, Ramadan, have made up for any lost business.
During Eid al-Fitr festival, holidaymakers are treated to a variety of activities and entertainment during holidays to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and other popular holidaydestinations in the Middle East with fireworks displays, retail promotions and concerts taking place.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Middle East Browse all
Enjoy a varied selection of fun activities and evening entertainment at an outstandingly beautiful beach and golf resort.
- Luxuriate at the Spa and select from an array of water sports while children have fun at the Kids' Club
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1649 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
Discover the beauty of Ras al Khaimah during your stay at the luxurious Doubletree by Hilton Resort and Spa Marjan...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...