Visitor numbers to leisure hotels in the United Arab Emirates drop slightly during Ramadan
Hotel occupancy levels in the United Arab Emirates dropped slightly during the Ramadan period, according to hoteliers and industry experts. The number of business travellers fell by approximately 30 per cent during Ramadan which is relatively normal but the number of leisure travellers taking Middle East holidays in Dubai or Abu Dhabi also fell slightly.
Visitor numbers at hotels in the United Arab Emirates dropped during the recent Ramadan period and while bookings in corporate hotels were expected to fall, leisure hotels also experienced a slight drop in numbers.
Average occupancies in corporate hotels in the emirates fell by approximately 30 per cent which was expected because many business travellers head off to spend the holidays at home during Ramadan, but leisure hotels also recorded a slight fall.
This year’s Ramadan took place in the midst of summer from 20th July to 18th August and the period is usually a very popular time for travellers to take Dubai holidays or breaks in Abu Dhabi and Egypt to celebrate the Holy Month.
Rotana Hotels recorded a 10 per cent drop in occupancies during Ramadan. Adrian Deegan, the Area Director of Sales for Rotana, explained: “From May 15 until the beginning of Ramadan, the hotels were running at a pretty good occupancy – they were in the 70s on average.
Image by: Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, on Flickr
“Rates have dropped about 10 per cent since the start of Ramadan. But we were expecting that, it was not a surprise.”
Kempinski operates hotels in Dubai and other Middle Eastern and African destination and Avsar Koc, the Regional Sales Director for Kempinski - Middle East & Africa, said that its UAE hotels were performing as expected.
“Holidaymakers continue to choose UAE as their preferred destination as we have seen a steady amount of leisure business,” he said.
Haitham Mattar, Hilton’s Vice President of Sales for Middle East, Africa, East Europe & Russia, said that the group’s hotels saw “healthy pick-up across the region” during the month and many travellers from the United States, Unites Kingdom and Germany took holidays in Dubai and Ras Al Khaimah.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Hoteliers across the United Arab Emirates hope that occupancy levels during the Eid al-Fitr festival, which celebrates the end of the month of fasting, Ramadan, have made up for any lost business.
During Eid al-Fitr festival, holidaymakers are treated to a variety of activities and entertainment during holidays to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and other popular holidaydestinations in the Middle East with fireworks displays, retail promotions and concerts taking place.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Middle East Browse all
Enjoy a varied selection of fun activities and evening entertainment at an outstandingly beautiful beach and golf resort.
- Tee off into the sunshine with the resort's beautifully landscaped 18-hole championship golf course
- Luxuriate at the Spa and select from an array of water sports while children have fun at the Kids' Club
- Work on your tan at the beautiful private beach and taste delectable world cuisine at 8 restaurants
- Free Upgrade to Superior Room!
- Add a VIP package, including No.1 Gatwick Lounge Access, Dubai Airport Fast Track and tickets to Burj Khalifa, from £99 per person
Immerse yourself in Ottoman-style opulence in the famous Palm Jumeirah during your stay at Jumeirah Zabeel Saray
Perfection is synonymous with the Zabeel Saray on Dubai's Palm Island, where you will find that the decadence of the Ottoman Empire has been perfectly recaptured
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Enjoy the scenic beachside locations perfectly set against a lush mountainous backdrop
- Let little ones enjoy the fantastic activities at the kids club
- Tuck into delicious cuisine from around the globe
- Onsite PADI centre offers amazing night and wreck diving excursions
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...