Visitor numbers to leisure hotels in the United Arab Emirates drop slightly during Ramadan
Hotel occupancy levels in the United Arab Emirates dropped slightly during the Ramadan period, according to hoteliers and industry experts. The number of business travellers fell by approximately 30 per cent during Ramadan which is relatively normal but the number of leisure travellers taking Middle East holidays in Dubai or Abu Dhabi also fell slightly.
Visitor numbers at hotels in the United Arab Emirates dropped during the recent Ramadan period and while bookings in corporate hotels were expected to fall, leisure hotels also experienced a slight drop in numbers.
Average occupancies in corporate hotels in the emirates fell by approximately 30 per cent which was expected because many business travellers head off to spend the holidays at home during Ramadan, but leisure hotels also recorded a slight fall.
This year’s Ramadan took place in the midst of summer from 20th July to 18th August and the period is usually a very popular time for travellers to take Dubai holidays or breaks in Abu Dhabi and Egypt to celebrate the Holy Month.
Rotana Hotels recorded a 10 per cent drop in occupancies during Ramadan. Adrian Deegan, the Area Director of Sales for Rotana, explained: “From May 15 until the beginning of Ramadan, the hotels were running at a pretty good occupancy – they were in the 70s on average.
Image by: Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, on Flickr
“Rates have dropped about 10 per cent since the start of Ramadan. But we were expecting that, it was not a surprise.”
Kempinski operates hotels in Dubai and other Middle Eastern and African destination and Avsar Koc, the Regional Sales Director for Kempinski - Middle East & Africa, said that its UAE hotels were performing as expected.
“Holidaymakers continue to choose UAE as their preferred destination as we have seen a steady amount of leisure business,” he said.
Haitham Mattar, Hilton’s Vice President of Sales for Middle East, Africa, East Europe & Russia, said that the group’s hotels saw “healthy pick-up across the region” during the month and many travellers from the United States, Unites Kingdom and Germany took holidays in Dubai and Ras Al Khaimah.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Hoteliers across the United Arab Emirates hope that occupancy levels during the Eid al-Fitr festival, which celebrates the end of the month of fasting, Ramadan, have made up for any lost business.
During Eid al-Fitr festival, holidaymakers are treated to a variety of activities and entertainment during holidays to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and other popular holidaydestinations in the Middle East with fireworks displays, retail promotions and concerts taking place.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Middle East Browse all
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice
- Try something absolutely unique on Dubai's only Ice Rink
- Located in the heart of the historic Deira with walking distance to the gold souks
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Ras al Khaimah during your stay at the luxurious Doubletree by Hilton Resort and Spa Marjan...
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Regarded as one of Dubai's most luxury hotels, Marina View Apartments is ideally located in the centre of Dubai's...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...