Cancun hotels have been filling up this summer as occupancy levels reach 88 per cent
According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, this tourist destination has had one of its best summer seasons in recent years. With hotel occupancy levels reaching up to 88 per cent capacity, the popularity of Cancun holidays has grown significantly on a national and international scale as locals and foreigners alike flock down to this lively beach resort.
2012 has been a good year for Cancun, which has experienced one of its best summer seasons in recent years. According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors bureau, hotel occupancy levels were up to 88 per cent of their capacity this year in the famed Caribbean beach resort. This figure is the result of the significant growth of the popularity Cancun holidays on a national and international scale and a combination of other factors, including new hotel openings, tourist promotions and incentives as well as new attractions.
So far this year, the Cancun International Airport has received more than 7.4 million tourists, compared to the 6.8 million who took holidays in Cancun during the same season last year.
The Mexican city saw a large influx of visitors from South America and various European countries such as England, Russia and France with more than 40 flights a week arriving from these foreign tourism markets to Cancun’s airport. On the other hand, nationals were also an important part of this growth. Many Mexicans went on holidays to Cancun this summer with over 22 Aeromexico flights to Cancun arriving from Mexico City.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The increased popularity of Cancun as a holiday destination this year can also be attributed to the various attractions that recently opened with new and fun features. The Cancun Underwater Museum, which is the largest of its kind in the world, drew in many visitors thanks to the addition of approximately 60 new sculptures by the internationally acclaimed eco-sculptor Jason de Caires Taylor.
Furthermore, the destination welcomed several new hotels in the summertime and made live entertainment available to all its visitors. The Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, Secrets The Vine Cancun and Riu Palace Peninsula are among the Cancun hotels that recently opened its doors to guests. Meanwhile, those who wished to thoroughly entertain themselves with unique spectacles were able to enjoy the Coyote Country Music Festival at the Oasis Resort and Hotel as well as the Broadway hit Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy at the Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort.
Image by: zaibatsu, on Flickr
However, the fun isn’t over yet for those looking forward to enjoying a delicious gastronomic experience in Cancun. Closing out the summer, the small island of Holbox, located in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, will launch its very first Gastronomic Festival from 30th August to 3rd September. This tiny island with a width of approximately 2 km counts with over 25 restaurants which specialise in everything from traditional Mexican cuisine to international classics.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...