Cancun hotels have been filling up this summer as occupancy levels reach 88 per cent
According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, this tourist destination has had one of its best summer seasons in recent years. With hotel occupancy levels reaching up to 88 per cent capacity, the popularity of Cancun holidays has grown significantly on a national and international scale as locals and foreigners alike flock down to this lively beach resort.
2012 has been a good year for Cancun, which has experienced one of its best summer seasons in recent years. According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors bureau, hotel occupancy levels were up to 88 per cent of their capacity this year in the famed Caribbean beach resort. This figure is the result of the significant growth of the popularity Cancun holidays on a national and international scale and a combination of other factors, including new hotel openings, tourist promotions and incentives as well as new attractions.
So far this year, the Cancun International Airport has received more than 7.4 million tourists, compared to the 6.8 million who took holidays in Cancun during the same season last year.
The Mexican city saw a large influx of visitors from South America and various European countries such as England, Russia and France with more than 40 flights a week arriving from these foreign tourism markets to Cancun’s airport. On the other hand, nationals were also an important part of this growth. Many Mexicans went on holidays to Cancun this summer with over 22 Aeromexico flights to Cancun arriving from Mexico City.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The increased popularity of Cancun as a holiday destination this year can also be attributed to the various attractions that recently opened with new and fun features. The Cancun Underwater Museum, which is the largest of its kind in the world, drew in many visitors thanks to the addition of approximately 60 new sculptures by the internationally acclaimed eco-sculptor Jason de Caires Taylor.
Furthermore, the destination welcomed several new hotels in the summertime and made live entertainment available to all its visitors. The Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, Secrets The Vine Cancun and Riu Palace Peninsula are among the Cancun hotels that recently opened its doors to guests. Meanwhile, those who wished to thoroughly entertain themselves with unique spectacles were able to enjoy the Coyote Country Music Festival at the Oasis Resort and Hotel as well as the Broadway hit Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy at the Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort.
Image by: zaibatsu, on Flickr
However, the fun isn’t over yet for those looking forward to enjoying a delicious gastronomic experience in Cancun. Closing out the summer, the small island of Holbox, located in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, will launch its very first Gastronomic Festival from 30th August to 3rd September. This tiny island with a width of approximately 2 km counts with over 25 restaurants which specialise in everything from traditional Mexican cuisine to international classics.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing in-house performers, complementing the many bars
- Exceptional culinary range offering something for every occasion
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
This legendary Hard Rock Resort is perfect for the whole family on the beautiful shores of Cancun, it even Includes up to $2,500 resort credit for additional extras
- When staying for a minimum of 5 nights between 1st September - 31st October 2017, One child per room can enjoy unlimited playtime free with various inclusions sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Receive up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
- Pamper yourself at the Rock Spa with outdoor Palapa style massage areas
- Choose from 6 restaurants and 5 bars
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
Escape the real world for a while and plunge yourself into the Caribbean paradise of Cancun's all-inclusive, adults-only...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Grand Oasis Cancun is a high class lively all inclusive hotel where you will never experience a dull moment. Situated...