Cancun hotels have been filling up this summer as occupancy levels reach 88 per cent
According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, this tourist destination has had one of its best summer seasons in recent years. With hotel occupancy levels reaching up to 88 per cent capacity, the popularity of Cancun holidays has grown significantly on a national and international scale as locals and foreigners alike flock down to this lively beach resort.
2012 has been a good year for Cancun, which has experienced one of its best summer seasons in recent years. According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors bureau, hotel occupancy levels were up to 88 per cent of their capacity this year in the famed Caribbean beach resort. This figure is the result of the significant growth of the popularity Cancun holidays on a national and international scale and a combination of other factors, including new hotel openings, tourist promotions and incentives as well as new attractions.
So far this year, the Cancun International Airport has received more than 7.4 million tourists, compared to the 6.8 million who took holidays in Cancun during the same season last year.
The Mexican city saw a large influx of visitors from South America and various European countries such as England, Russia and France with more than 40 flights a week arriving from these foreign tourism markets to Cancun’s airport. On the other hand, nationals were also an important part of this growth. Many Mexicans went on holidays to Cancun this summer with over 22 Aeromexico flights to Cancun arriving from Mexico City.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The increased popularity of Cancun as a holiday destination this year can also be attributed to the various attractions that recently opened with new and fun features. The Cancun Underwater Museum, which is the largest of its kind in the world, drew in many visitors thanks to the addition of approximately 60 new sculptures by the internationally acclaimed eco-sculptor Jason de Caires Taylor.
Furthermore, the destination welcomed several new hotels in the summertime and made live entertainment available to all its visitors. The Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, Secrets The Vine Cancun and Riu Palace Peninsula are among the Cancun hotels that recently opened its doors to guests. Meanwhile, those who wished to thoroughly entertain themselves with unique spectacles were able to enjoy the Coyote Country Music Festival at the Oasis Resort and Hotel as well as the Broadway hit Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy at the Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort.
Image by: zaibatsu, on Flickr
However, the fun isn’t over yet for those looking forward to enjoying a delicious gastronomic experience in Cancun. Closing out the summer, the small island of Holbox, located in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, will launch its very first Gastronomic Festival from 30th August to 3rd September. This tiny island with a width of approximately 2 km counts with over 25 restaurants which specialise in everything from traditional Mexican cuisine to international classics.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Spend a week in Mexican Caribbean paradise with a fabulous all inclusive deal at a price that's hard to resist.
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Spa treatments or benefit from the unlimited access to the Fitness Centre
- The perfect location only 25 minutes from the airport and minutes away from downtown Cancun
- Enjoy a varied selection of sports activities and evening entertainment while your kids are having fun at the Kids Club
The perfect family holiday in Mexico with plenty of opportunities for fun activities
- Fun for the whole family with activities for all ages
- Located on the north side of Cancun by Puerto Juarez just 20 minutes by car from the airport
- Enjoy the Mexican, European and American delicious cuisine combined with fabulous atmosphere
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
- Exceptional culinary range with 18 restaurants as well as 14 different bars offering something for every occasion
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing the 50+ in-house performers, complementing the many bars
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- See Duran Duran in concert within the resort on the 29th December.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Escape the real world for a while and plunge yourself into the Caribbean paradise of Cancun's all-inclusive, adults-only...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable 8-day holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe...