Cancun hotels have been filling up this summer as occupancy levels reach 88 per cent
According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, this tourist destination has had one of its best summer seasons in recent years. With hotel occupancy levels reaching up to 88 per cent capacity, the popularity of Cancun holidays has grown significantly on a national and international scale as locals and foreigners alike flock down to this lively beach resort.
2012 has been a good year for Cancun, which has experienced one of its best summer seasons in recent years. According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors bureau, hotel occupancy levels were up to 88 per cent of their capacity this year in the famed Caribbean beach resort. This figure is the result of the significant growth of the popularity Cancun holidays on a national and international scale and a combination of other factors, including new hotel openings, tourist promotions and incentives as well as new attractions.
So far this year, the Cancun International Airport has received more than 7.4 million tourists, compared to the 6.8 million who took holidays in Cancun during the same season last year.
The Mexican city saw a large influx of visitors from South America and various European countries such as England, Russia and France with more than 40 flights a week arriving from these foreign tourism markets to Cancun’s airport. On the other hand, nationals were also an important part of this growth. Many Mexicans went on holidays to Cancun this summer with over 22 Aeromexico flights to Cancun arriving from Mexico City.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The increased popularity of Cancun as a holiday destination this year can also be attributed to the various attractions that recently opened with new and fun features. The Cancun Underwater Museum, which is the largest of its kind in the world, drew in many visitors thanks to the addition of approximately 60 new sculptures by the internationally acclaimed eco-sculptor Jason de Caires Taylor.
Furthermore, the destination welcomed several new hotels in the summertime and made live entertainment available to all its visitors. The Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, Secrets The Vine Cancun and Riu Palace Peninsula are among the Cancun hotels that recently opened its doors to guests. Meanwhile, those who wished to thoroughly entertain themselves with unique spectacles were able to enjoy the Coyote Country Music Festival at the Oasis Resort and Hotel as well as the Broadway hit Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy at the Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort.
Image by: zaibatsu, on Flickr
However, the fun isn’t over yet for those looking forward to enjoying a delicious gastronomic experience in Cancun. Closing out the summer, the small island of Holbox, located in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, will launch its very first Gastronomic Festival from 30th August to 3rd September. This tiny island with a width of approximately 2 km counts with over 25 restaurants which specialise in everything from traditional Mexican cuisine to international classics.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Spend a week in Mexican Caribbean paradise with a fabulous all inclusive deal at a price that's hard to resist.
- The perfect location only 25 minutes from the airport and minutes away from downtown Cancun
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Spa treatments or benefit from the unlimited access to the Fitness Centre
- Enjoy a varied selection of sports activities and evening entertainment while your kids are having fun at the Kids Club
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Grand Oasis Cancun is a high class lively all inclusive hotel where you will never experience a dull moment. Situated...
This striking and cutting edge hotel is located south of Cancun on a exquisite stretch of beach.