Marriott to open first Sri Lanka hotel in Weligama Bay in 2014
Marriott International has announced plans to open a brand new hotel for Sri Lanka holidays after signing an agreement with Weligama Hotel Properties Ltd. The Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa is scheduled to open in 2014 and will be Marriott's debut property in the beautiful Indian Ocean island nation.
Marriott International will be making its debut into the Sri Lankan hospitality market in 2014 after signing an agreement with Weligama Hotel Properties Ltd to open a new brand hotel.
The hotel group has announced that it will be opening the new Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa to tourists planning Sri Lanka holidays in 2014 and it will have 200 guest rooms.
"Marriott is delighted to be extending its portfolio and opening a world-class hotel in Sri Lanka," stated Simon Cooper, the President and Managing Director of Marriott, Asia Pacific.
"Sri Lanka is a destination that has great potential and opportunity and we hope to capitalise on that and establish a strong presence in the country. We are confident that the reputation of Marriott Hotels and Resorts and the power of Marriott Rewards, our loyalty programme, will create great interest from both local and international travellers and be successful in promoting the beautiful area of Weligama Bay, as well as the country itself as this is our first hotel here."
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The new Sri Lanka hotel is located in the district of Weligama, in the city of Matara on the south coast of the Indian Ocean island.
The Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa will cater for both leisure treavellers looking for relaxing holidays in Sri Lanka and business travellers looking for comfortable accommodation and features 640-square-metres of flexible ballroom space and modern meeting rooms. The Sri Lanka hotel’s facilities also include a swimming pool with pool bar, three gourmet restaurants, a modern fitness centre, and guests will also have access to a stretch of pristine sandy beach.
Mr. Nahil Wijesuriya, the Chairman, East West Properties PLC, the parent company of Weligama Hotel Properties Ltd, explained: "We are among the first companies in Sri Lanka to sign up with an international branded hotel company and to open as early as 2014. The resort is being built according to Marriott International's five star brand standards, with a beach frontage of 115 meters on the Galle-Matara road in the South-East of the country.”
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Sri Lanka is famous for its stunning natural scenery and diverse ecosystem comprising miles of white sandy beaches, jagged mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, thriving nature parks, and an array of heritage sites that include ancient cities and colonial forts. Since the end of its 25-year-long civil war in 2009, the island nation has seen a significant increase in the number of international travellers opting to go on holidays to Sri Lanka.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....