CHTA Supports St Lucia Prime Minister's Call to Reduce APD
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) is supporting St Lucia's Prime Minister Kenny Anthony as he voices his concerns over the recent Air Passenger Duty in a letter to the British Chancellor of the Exchequer, saying that the increase in APD is going to deter people from booking Caribbean holidays.
The ongoing debate over the rising costs of Air Passenger Duty has motivated St Lucia’s Prime Minister to write a letter to George Osborne, the British Chancellor of the Exchequer.
The letter is being supported by the Caribbean Hotels and Tourism Association (CHTA) and expresses Prime Minister Kenny Anthony’s concerns about the rising APD, the effects it will have on the Caribbean, and how it will deter tourists from booking Caribbean holidays from the United Kingdom.
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association’s President Richard Doumeng, says the APD is “a significant threat” to the sustainability and growth of the Caribbean tourism sector and he agrees with Mr Anthony’s concerns.
Earlier this year, the “A Fair Tax on Flying” campaign was launched by the Airports Operators Association and the industry coalition which includes more than 30 airlines, tour operators, airports and travel organisations.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
The campaign has already received over 90,000 signatures from people urging the government to review the tax and either eliminate it or reduce it.
In March this year, George Osborne announced in his Budget speech that APD would be increasing by a further eight per cent from April, 2012. The rise affects the cost of holidays to the Caribbean and long haul flights to destination such as South America and South Africa and Australia.
Air Passenger Duty is calculated according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Though Hawaii and Florida are located further away from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking flights to the Caribbean are charged more APD.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
A family of four going on holidays to the Caribbean or to South Africa will now have to pay £324 in air tax, compared to the previous £300.
Many businesses in the region such as Caribbean hotels and resorts and tour operators are struggling as travellers opt for cheaper destinations such as Florida and British Airways has reduced its Caribbean flights because of the rising costs.
The Caribbean region relies on travellers from the UK and the rest of the Europe to sustain its tourism-led economy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Experience an unforgettable holiday in St Lucia, marvel at the wonderful sandy beach and enjoy street life in the restaurants, cafe's and bars of Rodney Bay.
- The Kids Club offers a range of activities to keep your little ones happy
- Enjoy the sunfish sailing and snorkelling
- Full buffet breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner included
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus Book a Garden View and get upgraded to an Ocean View!!!
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
Guests will be delighted by this couples only resort, set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- Book a standard coach transfer and get a FREE Upgrade to a Private Transfer - Must book before 25th October 2016
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of dining options and leisure facilities
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...