Dubai International Airport records 27.9 million visitors in first half of 2012
Dubai International Airport has received a record number of passengers arriving to leisure Dubai holidays and business trips between January and June this year. The airport saw 27.9 million visitors pass through its three terminals marking a 13.7 per cent increase compared to the first half of 2011.
Dubai Airports’ monthly traffic report has revealed that Dubai International Airport has recorded its busiest ever first half of the year with 27.9 million passengers passing through the airport's terminals between January and June 2012.
The airport’s passenger numbers were up by 13.7 per cent compared to the first half of 2011 as more tourists than ever arrived to their Dubai holidays and business people visited the United Arab Emirate.
Statistics reveal that passenger traffic to date reached 27,931,639 compared to 24,567,818 in the first half of 2011.
“Our record first half had some interesting story lines, highlighted by the launch of 12 new routes, the addition of four new airlines and a surge in traffic on routes to Saudi Arabia, USA, Qatar and Australia,” explained Paul Griffiths, the Chief Executive of Dubai Airports.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
In June this year, the airport’s three terminals received 4,714,746 passengers, which was an increase of 16 per cent compared to the 4,065,809 visitors who passed through in June 2011.
Mr Griffiths commented on the new initiatives that were launched by the airport to help travellers as they arrived to or departed from their holidays in Dubai.
“On the service side we boosted our May I Help You staff compliment to 500 people, to provide additional assistance to customers to speed their journey through the terminals,” he said.
Image by: khshahen,on Flickr
“We expanded our transfer areas to ease connections and we launched new high-tech Information Zones and a new downloadable app called myDXB, both of which provide information on flights and gate numbers as well as way-finding to locate customer-facing services.”
New Dubai hotels, attractions and festivals are said to have contributed towards the rise in tourists going on holidays in Dubai over the past six months.
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and it is a hub for leisure and business travellers. The city boasts enormous shopping malls, parks, luxurious hotels, beautiful golden sandy beaches and unique architecture such as the Burj al Arab, Burj Khalifa and the manmade Palm Islands. Popular tourist attractions include the Dubai Marina, Dubai snow skiing centre, Jumeirah Mosque, Dubai Mall and the Wild Wadi Park.
Image by: PakistanHousing.pk,on Flickr
The vibrant city boasts an array of annual events including the Dubai World Cup, Dubai International Jazz Festival, the UAE Desert Challenge, and Dubai Summer Surprises.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...