Dubai International Airport records 27.9 million visitors in first half of 2012
Dubai International Airport has received a record number of passengers arriving to leisure Dubai holidays and business trips between January and June this year. The airport saw 27.9 million visitors pass through its three terminals marking a 13.7 per cent increase compared to the first half of 2011.
Dubai Airports’ monthly traffic report has revealed that Dubai International Airport has recorded its busiest ever first half of the year with 27.9 million passengers passing through the airport's terminals between January and June 2012.
The airport’s passenger numbers were up by 13.7 per cent compared to the first half of 2011 as more tourists than ever arrived to their Dubai holidays and business people visited the United Arab Emirate.
Statistics reveal that passenger traffic to date reached 27,931,639 compared to 24,567,818 in the first half of 2011.
“Our record first half had some interesting story lines, highlighted by the launch of 12 new routes, the addition of four new airlines and a surge in traffic on routes to Saudi Arabia, USA, Qatar and Australia,” explained Paul Griffiths, the Chief Executive of Dubai Airports.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
In June this year, the airport’s three terminals received 4,714,746 passengers, which was an increase of 16 per cent compared to the 4,065,809 visitors who passed through in June 2011.
Mr Griffiths commented on the new initiatives that were launched by the airport to help travellers as they arrived to or departed from their holidays in Dubai.
“On the service side we boosted our May I Help You staff compliment to 500 people, to provide additional assistance to customers to speed their journey through the terminals,” he said.
Image by: khshahen,on Flickr
“We expanded our transfer areas to ease connections and we launched new high-tech Information Zones and a new downloadable app called myDXB, both of which provide information on flights and gate numbers as well as way-finding to locate customer-facing services.”
New Dubai hotels, attractions and festivals are said to have contributed towards the rise in tourists going on holidays in Dubai over the past six months.
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and it is a hub for leisure and business travellers. The city boasts enormous shopping malls, parks, luxurious hotels, beautiful golden sandy beaches and unique architecture such as the Burj al Arab, Burj Khalifa and the manmade Palm Islands. Popular tourist attractions include the Dubai Marina, Dubai snow skiing centre, Jumeirah Mosque, Dubai Mall and the Wild Wadi Park.
Image by: PakistanHousing.pk,on Flickr
The vibrant city boasts an array of annual events including the Dubai World Cup, Dubai International Jazz Festival, the UAE Desert Challenge, and Dubai Summer Surprises.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free Wi-Fi
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...