Bridgetown and its Garrison in Barbados Added to Prestigious UNESCO List
The historic Bridgetown and its Garrison have officially been added to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) World Heritage Site list. Tourists planning Barbados holidays will be able to visit the small district on the Caribbean island where examples of British colonial architecture can be seen.
Holidaymakers will have the chance to visit one of UNESCO’s latest additions after the capital of Barbados, Bridgetown, and its Garrison were officially included in the prestigious United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) World Heritage Site list.
Tourists going on Barbados holidays and visiting Bridgetown will be able to see examples of British colonial architecture during a visit to the small town and the Garrison is home to a collection of historical buildings.
The Garrison area is located two miles from Heroes Square in Bridgetown and features a large horse-racing track and barracks for military staff. The Garrison was the headquarters for members of the British West Indies Regiment in Barbados during the 18th and 19th centuries and the area witnessed the official historical moment when the country’s power was transferred from British rule to Barbadian hands.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
Bridgetown and its Garrison were considered for UNESCO nomination after the Caribbean country became a signatory to the UNESCO Convention for the Protection of World Cultural and Natural Heritage Convention in 2002.
UNESCO stated that Bridgetown and its garrison is “an outstanding example of British colonial architecture, offering a story which testifies to the spread of Great Britain’s Atlantic colonial empire.”
The UNESCO list includes world famous cultural and historical sites such as the Pyramids in Egypt, the Statue of Liberty in New York and the Great Wall of China.
Situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, north east of Venezuela, Barbados is an island nation that is rich in heritage, culture and breathtaking natural landscapes.
Tourists going on holidays to Barbados can enjoy the island’s unique white and pinkish coloured sandy beaches and calm turquoise ocean waters that are teeming with marine life such as colourful coral reefs, sea turtles, dolphins, sea horses, and tropical fish.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
During holidays in Barbados, visitors can take part in a wide range of exciting activities including sailing, surfing, snorkelling, scuba diving and fishing.
Travellers can go on excursions to the island’s traditional markets and boutique shops; explore nature reserves including the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary; and step back in time in charming towns such as Holetown, Speightstown, and Bridgetown.
The Caribbean island boasts a range of accommodation, from inexpensive B&BS, to luxurious beachfront Barbados hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Free room upgrade to next available room
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- Save up to 50% off with the May FLASH SALE
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...