Bridgetown and its Garrison in Barbados Added to Prestigious UNESCO List
The historic Bridgetown and its Garrison have officially been added to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) World Heritage Site list. Tourists planning Barbados holidays will be able to visit the small district on the Caribbean island where examples of British colonial architecture can be seen.
Holidaymakers will have the chance to visit one of UNESCO’s latest additions after the capital of Barbados, Bridgetown, and its Garrison were officially included in the prestigious United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) World Heritage Site list.
Tourists going on Barbados holidays and visiting Bridgetown will be able to see examples of British colonial architecture during a visit to the small town and the Garrison is home to a collection of historical buildings.
The Garrison area is located two miles from Heroes Square in Bridgetown and features a large horse-racing track and barracks for military staff. The Garrison was the headquarters for members of the British West Indies Regiment in Barbados during the 18th and 19th centuries and the area witnessed the official historical moment when the country’s power was transferred from British rule to Barbadian hands.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
Bridgetown and its Garrison were considered for UNESCO nomination after the Caribbean country became a signatory to the UNESCO Convention for the Protection of World Cultural and Natural Heritage Convention in 2002.
UNESCO stated that Bridgetown and its garrison is “an outstanding example of British colonial architecture, offering a story which testifies to the spread of Great Britain’s Atlantic colonial empire.”
The UNESCO list includes world famous cultural and historical sites such as the Pyramids in Egypt, the Statue of Liberty in New York and the Great Wall of China.
Situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, north east of Venezuela, Barbados is an island nation that is rich in heritage, culture and breathtaking natural landscapes.
Tourists going on holidays to Barbados can enjoy the island’s unique white and pinkish coloured sandy beaches and calm turquoise ocean waters that are teeming with marine life such as colourful coral reefs, sea turtles, dolphins, sea horses, and tropical fish.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
During holidays in Barbados, visitors can take part in a wide range of exciting activities including sailing, surfing, snorkelling, scuba diving and fishing.
Travellers can go on excursions to the island’s traditional markets and boutique shops; explore nature reserves including the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary; and step back in time in charming towns such as Holetown, Speightstown, and Bridgetown.
The Caribbean island boasts a range of accommodation, from inexpensive B&BS, to luxurious beachfront Barbados hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Don't miss out on the discount saving of 15% available on all room types
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- New Special offer! Discounted Rates plus come check out the upgraded in room facilities!
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- Incredible discounts on all rooms plus an additional flash sale saving
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...