Hotels in Jamaica go into expansion mode with plans for 1000 new rooms
In a move to give the island nation's hotels a boost and a competitive edge to Jamaica's growing tourism industry, many Jamaica hotels have begun expansion projects with the addition of new rooms to cater for a growing number of visitors coming to the island to enjoy Jamaica holidays.
As part of a move to provide holidaymakers with more accommodation options and in order to keep up with the growing influx of tourists taking Jamaica holidays, many hotels in Jamaica are stepping up by expanding and adding new rooms to their existing collection of guest rooms and suites.
For this purpose two new hotel development projects and several hotel expansions are currently taking place in the popular Caribbean island, which is on track to grow its accommodation options by over 1,000 rooms in the very near future.
Dr Wykeham McNeill, Jamaica’s Tourism and Entertainment Minister revealed details about the expansion of many Jamaica hotels during his sectoral debate presentation which took place last week in the House of Representatives.
Outlining some of the projects that will see the capacity of hotels in Jamaica increasing to accommodate more tourists planning holidays in Jamaica, Dr Mc Neill revealed how Marriott International will add 130 new rooms in Kingston to their Courtyard by Marriott hotels. To this end he added that: “I have already approved the incentives and they have indicated that construction will start this year,” Dr McNeill said.
Image by: MeraM,on Flickr
He went on to reveal how the Fiesta group would soon be expanding considerably with the addition of as many a s 850 new rooms while he informed how RIU hotels in Jamaica have indicated that they will be moving full steam ahead with plans to build a brand new RIU Palace resort in Mahoe Bay with 232 rooms while the Bahia Principe hotel currently has 70 rooms under construction and the project is scheduled for completion in November.
McNeill also revealed that the principals of Bahia had indicated an interest in further expansion with the addition of even more rooms in the future.
Meanwhile, the doors of the former Trelawny Beach Hotel in Cooper’s Pen are soon to reopen later in 2012. The tourism minister said that Sunwing had acquired the property and is in the process of refurbishing it. “This group has major plans to construct additional rooms as well as a themed water park on the property adjacent to the hotel,” he explained.
McNeill said that the investments would provide “well-needed employment” and noted too that investors have shown strong interest in the former Grande Lido Braco property in Trelawny and discussions on this will soon begin.
The minister underscored that to have sustainable growth in the tourism sector, it was essential to have investment, hence “a critical consideration during the discussion over the recent tax measures was about maintaining a healthy climate for investment,” he said.
He added that the planned modernisation of the nation’s physical infrastructure through projects like the construction of the North – South Leg of Highway 2000, would further foster development of the tourism sector.
Image by: BahiaPrincipeHotel,on Flickr
According to him the new highway would “provide easier access and reduce the travel time between the North East of the island and the Norman Manley International Airport, making this airport more valuable”.
“It will also enable the speedy movement to cruise passengers, who have limited time on our shores, from the north to the central and southern sections of the island and will be the catalyst for the further development of attractions and accommodation,” McNeill added on a last note.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Resort is surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, an underwater national park with protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Huge Savings when staying in Sun Club Rooms and Junior Suites
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage with a variety of restaurants plus 24-hour Room Service
- One child under 12 stays FREE and kids will enjoy access to the expansive and renowned Explorer's Club
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...