Jamaica's PM highlights the importance of political support for the Jamaica holidays industry
At the Caribbean Tourism Summit & Outlook Seminar hosted in Jamaica, The Jamaican Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller underscored the importance of political support if the region's tourism industry is meant to grow and thrive. Officials in attendance at the ceremony praised Ms Miller for her government's stellar work in support of Jamaica's holiday industry as the beautiful island continues to attract millions of holidaymakers each year.
Drawing on her own experiences with the Jamaica holidays industry, Jamaica’s Prime Minster, Portia Simpson Miller, underscored the importance of political support if the Caribbean tourism industry is to thrive stating, “Tourism has grown over the years to become one of the world’s most powerful economic sectors… Having served as Minister of Tourism and Sports of Jamaica, a country in which tourism plays a crucial role in the national economy I am well aware of the need to raise the profile of tourism higher among decision-makers. Without recognition and support at the highest level, tourism is often blocked from delivering its full potential, especially when policies on issues such as infrastructure and taxation are made in isolation. This is even more critical in these challenging economic times”.
Ms. Miller’s statements came at the 2012 Caribbean Tourism Summit & Outlook Seminar hosted by Jamaica, the high profile event was attended by key industry officials including, Taleb Rifai the Secretary General of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) as well as David Scowsill, the President and CEO of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC). Both officials praised the Jamaican PM for the work her government has done to support the local tourism industry.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
At a recent Sectoral Debate in the Jamaican House of Representatives held in early July, Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism and Entertainment Dr. Wykeham McNeill also highlighted the importance of tourism to the island’s economy. Dr. Wykeham noted that it was not just enough to ensure that more travellers book Jamaica holidays, but that greater efforts are needed to increase the integration between tourism and other sectors such as manufacturing and agriculture.
Dr. Mc Neill highlighted some of the strategies his ministry would employ to achieve improved collaboration between the sectors including, improved distribution systems, short-term financing and providing information on available investment opportunities. “We will continue to facilitate dialogue between manufacturers, agriculture and other sectors, with the hoteliers so they can work together to capitalize on the many opportunities that exist” noted Dr. Mc Neill.
The importance placed on tourism by the Jamaican officials comes as no surprise, with an estimated two million travellers booking holidays in Jamaica each year, tourism continues to be the most significant contributor to the island’s GDP. Notably, tourism injected approximately JMD100 billion into the island’s economy as well as generated approximately 300 000 jobs in the Jamaica hotel and resorts industry and other related industries in 2011 alone.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...