Caribbean holidays are top choice for Brits this summer
The Caribbean holidays industry has a lot to smile about as British Airways customers have voted the region as the top holiday destination this summer, putting the Caribbean ahead of other top destinations including South Africa and Florida. Industry insiders have attributed the growing popularity of holidays in the Caribbean to an unseasonably cold and wet British winter as well an increase in the number of direct flights to Caribbean holiday destinations.
Amidst concerns over the impact that the global economic crisis and the rising Air Passenger Duty (APD) will have on the number of Britons booking holidays in the Caribbean, the region’s tourism sector can take comfort in the fact that British Airways customers have voted the Caribbean as the top holiday destination this summer besting other popular hotspots in sunny destinations such as Miami and South Africa.
Industry insiders have attributed the popularity of 2012 Caribbean holidays with British travellers to a disappointing start to the British summer with the month of June having been the wettest in the history of the UK. “The thought of relaxing on a stunning beach, in the warm and friendly Caribbean is a real draw as the summer weather continues to be a bit of a let-down” noted British Airways Holidays Managing Director, Claire Bentley.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, ease of access to some of the Caribbean islands has contributed to the uplift in tourism with direct flights to the Caribbean island of Grenada, for example, from key source markets like the UK, U.S., and Canada injecting new life into the island’s tourism industry.
Ray Withers, the CEO of Property Frontiers, the firm responsible for the marketing of the recently launch hotel suites at the up and coming Grenada hotel Bacolet Bay Beach Resort stated the following of Grenada’s burgeoning tourism sector, “It is very encouraging to see that, even despite the global economic downturn, Caribbean tourism levels continue to rise… Grenada alone welcomed 116,398 overnight guests and some 309,000 cruise ship day visitors in 2011 and with the World Travel & Tourism Council predicting the island to be the fastest growing market in the Caribbean between 2011 and 2021,we believe that Grenada is the best place to invest in the region”
Grenada is only part of the region’s success story, as the Caribbean Tourism Organisation reported a 3.3 per cent growth in the number of travellers opting for an exotic Caribbean holiday experience in 2011 compared to 2010. With the region’s popularity on the rise and the islands becoming more accessible for travellers from key international markets, 2012 is shaping up to be an even more successful year despite the challenges that the region currently faces.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...