Caribbean holidays are top choice for Brits this summer
The Caribbean holidays industry has a lot to smile about as British Airways customers have voted the region as the top holiday destination this summer, putting the Caribbean ahead of other top destinations including South Africa and Florida. Industry insiders have attributed the growing popularity of holidays in the Caribbean to an unseasonably cold and wet British winter as well an increase in the number of direct flights to Caribbean holiday destinations.
Amidst concerns over the impact that the global economic crisis and the rising Air Passenger Duty (APD) will have on the number of Britons booking holidays in the Caribbean, the region’s tourism sector can take comfort in the fact that British Airways customers have voted the Caribbean as the top holiday destination this summer besting other popular hotspots in sunny destinations such as Miami and South Africa.
Industry insiders have attributed the popularity of 2012 Caribbean holidays with British travellers to a disappointing start to the British summer with the month of June having been the wettest in the history of the UK. “The thought of relaxing on a stunning beach, in the warm and friendly Caribbean is a real draw as the summer weather continues to be a bit of a let-down” noted British Airways Holidays Managing Director, Claire Bentley.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, ease of access to some of the Caribbean islands has contributed to the uplift in tourism with direct flights to the Caribbean island of Grenada, for example, from key source markets like the UK, U.S., and Canada injecting new life into the island’s tourism industry.
Ray Withers, the CEO of Property Frontiers, the firm responsible for the marketing of the recently launch hotel suites at the up and coming Grenada hotel Bacolet Bay Beach Resort stated the following of Grenada’s burgeoning tourism sector, “It is very encouraging to see that, even despite the global economic downturn, Caribbean tourism levels continue to rise… Grenada alone welcomed 116,398 overnight guests and some 309,000 cruise ship day visitors in 2011 and with the World Travel & Tourism Council predicting the island to be the fastest growing market in the Caribbean between 2011 and 2021,we believe that Grenada is the best place to invest in the region”
Grenada is only part of the region’s success story, as the Caribbean Tourism Organisation reported a 3.3 per cent growth in the number of travellers opting for an exotic Caribbean holiday experience in 2011 compared to 2010. With the region’s popularity on the rise and the islands becoming more accessible for travellers from key international markets, 2012 is shaping up to be an even more successful year despite the challenges that the region currently faces.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...