Caribbean holidays are top choice for Brits this summer
The Caribbean holidays industry has a lot to smile about as British Airways customers have voted the region as the top holiday destination this summer, putting the Caribbean ahead of other top destinations including South Africa and Florida. Industry insiders have attributed the growing popularity of holidays in the Caribbean to an unseasonably cold and wet British winter as well an increase in the number of direct flights to Caribbean holiday destinations.
Amidst concerns over the impact that the global economic crisis and the rising Air Passenger Duty (APD) will have on the number of Britons booking holidays in the Caribbean, the region’s tourism sector can take comfort in the fact that British Airways customers have voted the Caribbean as the top holiday destination this summer besting other popular hotspots in sunny destinations such as Miami and South Africa.
Industry insiders have attributed the popularity of 2012 Caribbean holidays with British travellers to a disappointing start to the British summer with the month of June having been the wettest in the history of the UK. “The thought of relaxing on a stunning beach, in the warm and friendly Caribbean is a real draw as the summer weather continues to be a bit of a let-down” noted British Airways Holidays Managing Director, Claire Bentley.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, ease of access to some of the Caribbean islands has contributed to the uplift in tourism with direct flights to the Caribbean island of Grenada, for example, from key source markets like the UK, U.S., and Canada injecting new life into the island’s tourism industry.
Ray Withers, the CEO of Property Frontiers, the firm responsible for the marketing of the recently launch hotel suites at the up and coming Grenada hotel Bacolet Bay Beach Resort stated the following of Grenada’s burgeoning tourism sector, “It is very encouraging to see that, even despite the global economic downturn, Caribbean tourism levels continue to rise… Grenada alone welcomed 116,398 overnight guests and some 309,000 cruise ship day visitors in 2011 and with the World Travel & Tourism Council predicting the island to be the fastest growing market in the Caribbean between 2011 and 2021,we believe that Grenada is the best place to invest in the region”
Grenada is only part of the region’s success story, as the Caribbean Tourism Organisation reported a 3.3 per cent growth in the number of travellers opting for an exotic Caribbean holiday experience in 2011 compared to 2010. With the region’s popularity on the rise and the islands becoming more accessible for travellers from key international markets, 2012 is shaping up to be an even more successful year despite the challenges that the region currently faces.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...