Virgin Atlantic offered APD-free Cancun flights in protest of the rising tax
Sir Richard Branson- Virgin Atlantic CEO has lashed out against the UK government's Air Passenger Duty (APD) at a ceremony held in Cancun to celebrate the airline's inaugural flight to Cancun deeming the costly tax a "disgrace". In an effort to highlight the firm's dissatisfaction with the tax, Virgin Atlantic recently offered APD-free Cancun flights to passengers booking their tickets on 14th and 15th July 2012 and has encouraged customers to join a petition against the tax.
Virgin Atlantic made the bold move to pay the controversial Air Passenger Duty (APD) for any passenger who booked their flights to Cancun on 14th and 15th July 2012, giving lucky travellers booking over the weekend the opportunity to make major savings on APD-free Cancun holidays.
The decision was announced by the airline’s CEO- Sir Richard Branson at a lavish ceremony held in Cancun to celebrate the airline’s inaugural flight to Cancun on Saturday 7th July 2012 where Mr Branson took the time to speak out candidly against the UK tax which he deemed a “disgrace”. “A family of four is now being asked to pay £325 in Air Passenger Duty to take a holiday to Cancun. It is a disgrace” stated Mr Branson
The structure of the current APD tax system remains the main source of contention for tourism officials at many popular Caribbean holiday destinations like Barbados, Cancun, Tobago, the Cayman Islands and Jamaica, as well as the airlines that service the routes to these destinations from the UK including Virgin Atlantic and British Airways.
Calculated according to the distance between the UK capital and the capital city of the destination, the criticism has been that the APD is inherently biased towards U.S. destinations like Hawaii which attracts a lower APD despite the fact that it is located much further away geographically-speaking. It also favours many other destinations in the U.S. that are geographically further away from the UK, just because the U.S. capital city of Washington is closer to London.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
With the cost of the APD steadily increasing, moving up to as much as £324 for a holiday in the Caribbean for a family of four as of April 2012 compared to a mere £40 in 2007, airlines like Virgin Atlantic have criticised the UK government for negatively impacting on their bottom line as well the UK’s financial recovery. Mr Branson noted, “In an Olympic year, it is obscene for the Treasury to be taking £10 million every day from visitors and British holidaymakers alike. This suffocating tax has rocketed way out of control. Years of above-inflation increases have hit passengers hard, are hitting the economy hard and are impeding our recovery from the recession”.
Virgin Atlantic has also urged passengers to protest against the APD via their e-tickets with a short message encouraging all passengers to join the Fair Tax on Flying campaign while UK residents had the option of taking 15 seconds to email their MP highlighting their concerns over the rising cost of the APD via a pre-formatted email template. This is available from their website afairtaxonflying.org.
Only time will tell if the UK government will buckle under the pressure from key spokespeople like Mr Branson, in the meantime passengers can only hope for another promotional offer of an APD-free Cancun holiday from Virgin Atlantic if they hope to book cheaper Cancun flights.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Add a VIP package, including No.1 Gatwick Lounge Access, Dubai Airport Fast Track and tickets to Burj Khalifa, from £99 per person
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...