Mexico Receives Almost Five Million Tourists Between January and April 2012
The Mexican Ministry of Tourism has announced that nearly five million international tourists visited the country between January and April this year. Visitor numbers to the country's popular beach destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, Cancun and Riviera Maya increased and the number of travellers staying in hotels during Cancun holidays rose by 11.6 per cent.
Mexico has reported a significant rise in the number of international tourists it received between the months of January and April this year.
The Mexican Ministry of Tourism recently announced that 4.99 million foreign travellers visited the country during the first four months of 2012, which marked a 5.3 per cent rise compared to the same period in 2011. There was also an increase in the number of visitors staying in hotels during Cancun holidays.
Mexico’s biggest tourism market is the United States and 2.1 million American passengers arrived by air to the country between January and April this year.
The country also received a rise in visitors from Argentina (27.4 per cent), the UK (11.5 per cent), Russia (71 per cent) and Brazil (69.5 per cent).
Hotels in popular beach destinations recorded a rise in occupancy levels as international visitors headed to the country for tropical holidays in Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Huatulco.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
In 2011, Mexico received a record-breaking 23.4 million international visitors and the country is becoming an increasingly popular destination for holidaymakers looking for culture, history, beautiful beaches, nature parks, scuba diving sites, and hot and sunny weather.
Cancun is one of the nation’s most popular tourist destinations and the previously uninhabited strip of Caribbean coastline was developed into a tourist resort in 1970.
After several financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the tourism project, travellers began taking holidays to Cancun in hordes.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The area is now full of upscale Cancun hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, world-class golf courses and adventure activities.
During a Cancun holiday, adrenalin-seekers can take zip line tours through the lush jungles; go scuba diving beneath the surface of the azure ocean to explore the famous underwater museum; trek through rainforests that are full of wildlife; or take tours to the region’s ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
This year, even more tourists are expected to stay in Cancun and Riviera Maya hotels as visitors head to the region, intrigues by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...