Mexico Receives Almost Five Million Tourists Between January and April 2012
The Mexican Ministry of Tourism has announced that nearly five million international tourists visited the country between January and April this year. Visitor numbers to the country's popular beach destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, Cancun and Riviera Maya increased and the number of travellers staying in hotels during Cancun holidays rose by 11.6 per cent.
Mexico has reported a significant rise in the number of international tourists it received between the months of January and April this year.
The Mexican Ministry of Tourism recently announced that 4.99 million foreign travellers visited the country during the first four months of 2012, which marked a 5.3 per cent rise compared to the same period in 2011. There was also an increase in the number of visitors staying in hotels during Cancun holidays.
Mexico’s biggest tourism market is the United States and 2.1 million American passengers arrived by air to the country between January and April this year.
The country also received a rise in visitors from Argentina (27.4 per cent), the UK (11.5 per cent), Russia (71 per cent) and Brazil (69.5 per cent).
Hotels in popular beach destinations recorded a rise in occupancy levels as international visitors headed to the country for tropical holidays in Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Huatulco.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
In 2011, Mexico received a record-breaking 23.4 million international visitors and the country is becoming an increasingly popular destination for holidaymakers looking for culture, history, beautiful beaches, nature parks, scuba diving sites, and hot and sunny weather.
Cancun is one of the nation’s most popular tourist destinations and the previously uninhabited strip of Caribbean coastline was developed into a tourist resort in 1970.
After several financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the tourism project, travellers began taking holidays to Cancun in hordes.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The area is now full of upscale Cancun hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, world-class golf courses and adventure activities.
During a Cancun holiday, adrenalin-seekers can take zip line tours through the lush jungles; go scuba diving beneath the surface of the azure ocean to explore the famous underwater museum; trek through rainforests that are full of wildlife; or take tours to the region’s ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
This year, even more tourists are expected to stay in Cancun and Riviera Maya hotels as visitors head to the region, intrigues by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Enjoy a fantastic Resort View to Garden View
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...