Mexico Receives Almost Five Million Tourists Between January and April 2012
The Mexican Ministry of Tourism has announced that nearly five million international tourists visited the country between January and April this year. Visitor numbers to the country's popular beach destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, Cancun and Riviera Maya increased and the number of travellers staying in hotels during Cancun holidays rose by 11.6 per cent.
Mexico has reported a significant rise in the number of international tourists it received between the months of January and April this year.
The Mexican Ministry of Tourism recently announced that 4.99 million foreign travellers visited the country during the first four months of 2012, which marked a 5.3 per cent rise compared to the same period in 2011. There was also an increase in the number of visitors staying in hotels during Cancun holidays.
Mexico’s biggest tourism market is the United States and 2.1 million American passengers arrived by air to the country between January and April this year.
The country also received a rise in visitors from Argentina (27.4 per cent), the UK (11.5 per cent), Russia (71 per cent) and Brazil (69.5 per cent).
Hotels in popular beach destinations recorded a rise in occupancy levels as international visitors headed to the country for tropical holidays in Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Huatulco.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
In 2011, Mexico received a record-breaking 23.4 million international visitors and the country is becoming an increasingly popular destination for holidaymakers looking for culture, history, beautiful beaches, nature parks, scuba diving sites, and hot and sunny weather.
Cancun is one of the nation’s most popular tourist destinations and the previously uninhabited strip of Caribbean coastline was developed into a tourist resort in 1970.
After several financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the tourism project, travellers began taking holidays to Cancun in hordes.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The area is now full of upscale Cancun hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, world-class golf courses and adventure activities.
During a Cancun holiday, adrenalin-seekers can take zip line tours through the lush jungles; go scuba diving beneath the surface of the azure ocean to explore the famous underwater museum; trek through rainforests that are full of wildlife; or take tours to the region’s ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
This year, even more tourists are expected to stay in Cancun and Riviera Maya hotels as visitors head to the region, intrigues by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Venture to the Caribbean shores of Mexico in the celebrated resort town of Cancun to enjoy a sun-drenched retreat in a...