Mexico Receives Almost Five Million Tourists Between January and April 2012
The Mexican Ministry of Tourism has announced that nearly five million international tourists visited the country between January and April this year. Visitor numbers to the country's popular beach destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, Cancun and Riviera Maya increased and the number of travellers staying in hotels during Cancun holidays rose by 11.6 per cent.
Mexico has reported a significant rise in the number of international tourists it received between the months of January and April this year.
The Mexican Ministry of Tourism recently announced that 4.99 million foreign travellers visited the country during the first four months of 2012, which marked a 5.3 per cent rise compared to the same period in 2011. There was also an increase in the number of visitors staying in hotels during Cancun holidays.
Mexico’s biggest tourism market is the United States and 2.1 million American passengers arrived by air to the country between January and April this year.
The country also received a rise in visitors from Argentina (27.4 per cent), the UK (11.5 per cent), Russia (71 per cent) and Brazil (69.5 per cent).
Hotels in popular beach destinations recorded a rise in occupancy levels as international visitors headed to the country for tropical holidays in Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Huatulco.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
In 2011, Mexico received a record-breaking 23.4 million international visitors and the country is becoming an increasingly popular destination for holidaymakers looking for culture, history, beautiful beaches, nature parks, scuba diving sites, and hot and sunny weather.
Cancun is one of the nation’s most popular tourist destinations and the previously uninhabited strip of Caribbean coastline was developed into a tourist resort in 1970.
After several financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the tourism project, travellers began taking holidays to Cancun in hordes.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The area is now full of upscale Cancun hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, world-class golf courses and adventure activities.
During a Cancun holiday, adrenalin-seekers can take zip line tours through the lush jungles; go scuba diving beneath the surface of the azure ocean to explore the famous underwater museum; trek through rainforests that are full of wildlife; or take tours to the region’s ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
This year, even more tourists are expected to stay in Cancun and Riviera Maya hotels as visitors head to the region, intrigues by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...