Luxury Dubai hotel group Jumeirah sponsors annual summer turtle release
The Jumeirah group continues to work hard to establish itself as a leader in sustainable tourism and endear itself to eco conscious travellers planning Dubai holidays. The hotel recently promoted the annual summer turtle release a part of the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project which it currently sponsors. The project, the only one of its kind in Dubai, seeks to rehabilitate and release hundreds of endangered sea turtles back into their natural habitat.
The Jumeirah hotel group known for its chain of luxury Dubai hotels continues to exhibit a commitment to sustainable tourism most notably with their recent sponsorship of the annual summer turtle release held on Friday 29th June 2012. The project which is currently Dubai’s only turtle rehabilitation project is known as The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project (DTRP). The DTRP, a collaborative effort by Jumeirah’s Aquarium team and the Wildlife Protection Office, seeks to rehabilitate and release endangered sea turtles into their natural habitat each year. This year alone the project has successfully rehabilitated over 250 sea turtles.
In an effort to increase awareness for the DTRP’s cause, this year’s release was opened to the public for the first time since its inception in 2004 with Virgin Radio’s Kris Fade acting as host for the proceedings which saw 150 Hawksbill turtles released by children into the ocean following months of rehabilitation. The publicity efforts of the Jumeirah hotel group appeared to have paid off with in excess of 1000 people attending the event hosted at the Madinat Jumeirah hotel- a favourite for travellers on their Dubai holidays.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, the Big Jumeirah Sea Turtle Race also took place on Friday’s event with six sea rehabilitated turtles tagged with harmless satellites to help track their movements around the world. Each of the six turtles, two Green Sea Turtles, two Loggerhead Turtles and two Hawksbill Turtles, are sponsored by a different Jumeirah hotel/property namely the Jumeirah Beach Hotel; Madinat Jumeirah, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray; jumeirah Living; Wild Wadi Waterpark and Burj Al Arab. The turtle that travels the farthest when the results are revealed on the 31st October 2012 will be crowned the winner. Members of the public will be able to follow the turtle’s journey on a dedicated facebook page.
The Jumeirah hotel group is certainly building a solid reputation endearing itself to those travellers keen on booking eco-friendly holidays in Dubai. Earlier on in the year the five star Jumeirah Emirates Towers joined the list of over 800 Green Globe Certified businesses around the world making it the first of the Jumeirah Hotels and Resorts Group to be accredited. Following a sustainability audit it was reported that the hotel was able to achieve an impressive score of 85 per cent compliance against the Green Glove Standard for Sustainable Travel & Tourism.
Travellers planning their upcoming Dubai holidays and hoping to stay at a hotel which is luxurious yet still reflects a green ethic may well want to consider one of the Jumeirah hotel group’s list of properties as the firm continues to make considerable efforts in the field of sustainability.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Take advantage opf the FREE double room upgrade
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Exclusive India Sale, Enjoy Huge reductions on all our tours must be booked by 31 August 2017
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Unwind in an adults-only paradise upon white sands with a FREE room upgrade and HALF price accomodation
Stay in pure paradise at Pineapple Beach Club, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa or keep active all the selection of All-Inclusive water and on land activities included during your stay
- Formerly Grand Pineapple Beach Resort, The Pineapple Beach Club is a newly renovated Adults-Only All Inclusive Paradise
- Book and save up to 50%Summer just got better with savings of up to 50% plus a FREE ROOM UPGRADE in selected rooms
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...