Luxury Dubai hotel group Jumeirah sponsors annual summer turtle release
The Jumeirah group continues to work hard to establish itself as a leader in sustainable tourism and endear itself to eco conscious travellers planning Dubai holidays. The hotel recently promoted the annual summer turtle release a part of the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project which it currently sponsors. The project, the only one of its kind in Dubai, seeks to rehabilitate and release hundreds of endangered sea turtles back into their natural habitat.
The Jumeirah hotel group known for its chain of luxury Dubai hotels continues to exhibit a commitment to sustainable tourism most notably with their recent sponsorship of the annual summer turtle release held on Friday 29th June 2012. The project which is currently Dubai’s only turtle rehabilitation project is known as The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project (DTRP). The DTRP, a collaborative effort by Jumeirah’s Aquarium team and the Wildlife Protection Office, seeks to rehabilitate and release endangered sea turtles into their natural habitat each year. This year alone the project has successfully rehabilitated over 250 sea turtles.
In an effort to increase awareness for the DTRP’s cause, this year’s release was opened to the public for the first time since its inception in 2004 with Virgin Radio’s Kris Fade acting as host for the proceedings which saw 150 Hawksbill turtles released by children into the ocean following months of rehabilitation. The publicity efforts of the Jumeirah hotel group appeared to have paid off with in excess of 1000 people attending the event hosted at the Madinat Jumeirah hotel- a favourite for travellers on their Dubai holidays.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, the Big Jumeirah Sea Turtle Race also took place on Friday’s event with six sea rehabilitated turtles tagged with harmless satellites to help track their movements around the world. Each of the six turtles, two Green Sea Turtles, two Loggerhead Turtles and two Hawksbill Turtles, are sponsored by a different Jumeirah hotel/property namely the Jumeirah Beach Hotel; Madinat Jumeirah, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray; jumeirah Living; Wild Wadi Waterpark and Burj Al Arab. The turtle that travels the farthest when the results are revealed on the 31st October 2012 will be crowned the winner. Members of the public will be able to follow the turtle’s journey on a dedicated facebook page.
The Jumeirah hotel group is certainly building a solid reputation endearing itself to those travellers keen on booking eco-friendly holidays in Dubai. Earlier on in the year the five star Jumeirah Emirates Towers joined the list of over 800 Green Globe Certified businesses around the world making it the first of the Jumeirah Hotels and Resorts Group to be accredited. Following a sustainability audit it was reported that the hotel was able to achieve an impressive score of 85 per cent compliance against the Green Glove Standard for Sustainable Travel & Tourism.
Travellers planning their upcoming Dubai holidays and hoping to stay at a hotel which is luxurious yet still reflects a green ethic may well want to consider one of the Jumeirah hotel group’s list of properties as the firm continues to make considerable efforts in the field of sustainability.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...