Luxury Dubai hotel group Jumeirah sponsors annual summer turtle release
The Jumeirah group continues to work hard to establish itself as a leader in sustainable tourism and endear itself to eco conscious travellers planning Dubai holidays. The hotel recently promoted the annual summer turtle release a part of the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project which it currently sponsors. The project, the only one of its kind in Dubai, seeks to rehabilitate and release hundreds of endangered sea turtles back into their natural habitat.
The Jumeirah hotel group known for its chain of luxury Dubai hotels continues to exhibit a commitment to sustainable tourism most notably with their recent sponsorship of the annual summer turtle release held on Friday 29th June 2012. The project which is currently Dubai’s only turtle rehabilitation project is known as The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project (DTRP). The DTRP, a collaborative effort by Jumeirah’s Aquarium team and the Wildlife Protection Office, seeks to rehabilitate and release endangered sea turtles into their natural habitat each year. This year alone the project has successfully rehabilitated over 250 sea turtles.
In an effort to increase awareness for the DTRP’s cause, this year’s release was opened to the public for the first time since its inception in 2004 with Virgin Radio’s Kris Fade acting as host for the proceedings which saw 150 Hawksbill turtles released by children into the ocean following months of rehabilitation. The publicity efforts of the Jumeirah hotel group appeared to have paid off with in excess of 1000 people attending the event hosted at the Madinat Jumeirah hotel- a favourite for travellers on their Dubai holidays.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, the Big Jumeirah Sea Turtle Race also took place on Friday’s event with six sea rehabilitated turtles tagged with harmless satellites to help track their movements around the world. Each of the six turtles, two Green Sea Turtles, two Loggerhead Turtles and two Hawksbill Turtles, are sponsored by a different Jumeirah hotel/property namely the Jumeirah Beach Hotel; Madinat Jumeirah, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray; jumeirah Living; Wild Wadi Waterpark and Burj Al Arab. The turtle that travels the farthest when the results are revealed on the 31st October 2012 will be crowned the winner. Members of the public will be able to follow the turtle’s journey on a dedicated facebook page.
The Jumeirah hotel group is certainly building a solid reputation endearing itself to those travellers keen on booking eco-friendly holidays in Dubai. Earlier on in the year the five star Jumeirah Emirates Towers joined the list of over 800 Green Globe Certified businesses around the world making it the first of the Jumeirah Hotels and Resorts Group to be accredited. Following a sustainability audit it was reported that the hotel was able to achieve an impressive score of 85 per cent compliance against the Green Glove Standard for Sustainable Travel & Tourism.
Travellers planning their upcoming Dubai holidays and hoping to stay at a hotel which is luxurious yet still reflects a green ethic may well want to consider one of the Jumeirah hotel group’s list of properties as the firm continues to make considerable efforts in the field of sustainability.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...