Luxury Dubai hotel group Jumeirah sponsors annual summer turtle release
The Jumeirah group continues to work hard to establish itself as a leader in sustainable tourism and endear itself to eco conscious travellers planning Dubai holidays. The hotel recently promoted the annual summer turtle release a part of the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project which it currently sponsors. The project, the only one of its kind in Dubai, seeks to rehabilitate and release hundreds of endangered sea turtles back into their natural habitat.
The Jumeirah hotel group known for its chain of luxury Dubai hotels continues to exhibit a commitment to sustainable tourism most notably with their recent sponsorship of the annual summer turtle release held on Friday 29th June 2012. The project which is currently Dubai’s only turtle rehabilitation project is known as The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project (DTRP). The DTRP, a collaborative effort by Jumeirah’s Aquarium team and the Wildlife Protection Office, seeks to rehabilitate and release endangered sea turtles into their natural habitat each year. This year alone the project has successfully rehabilitated over 250 sea turtles.
In an effort to increase awareness for the DTRP’s cause, this year’s release was opened to the public for the first time since its inception in 2004 with Virgin Radio’s Kris Fade acting as host for the proceedings which saw 150 Hawksbill turtles released by children into the ocean following months of rehabilitation. The publicity efforts of the Jumeirah hotel group appeared to have paid off with in excess of 1000 people attending the event hosted at the Madinat Jumeirah hotel- a favourite for travellers on their Dubai holidays.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, the Big Jumeirah Sea Turtle Race also took place on Friday’s event with six sea rehabilitated turtles tagged with harmless satellites to help track their movements around the world. Each of the six turtles, two Green Sea Turtles, two Loggerhead Turtles and two Hawksbill Turtles, are sponsored by a different Jumeirah hotel/property namely the Jumeirah Beach Hotel; Madinat Jumeirah, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray; jumeirah Living; Wild Wadi Waterpark and Burj Al Arab. The turtle that travels the farthest when the results are revealed on the 31st October 2012 will be crowned the winner. Members of the public will be able to follow the turtle’s journey on a dedicated facebook page.
The Jumeirah hotel group is certainly building a solid reputation endearing itself to those travellers keen on booking eco-friendly holidays in Dubai. Earlier on in the year the five star Jumeirah Emirates Towers joined the list of over 800 Green Globe Certified businesses around the world making it the first of the Jumeirah Hotels and Resorts Group to be accredited. Following a sustainability audit it was reported that the hotel was able to achieve an impressive score of 85 per cent compliance against the Green Glove Standard for Sustainable Travel & Tourism.
Travellers planning their upcoming Dubai holidays and hoping to stay at a hotel which is luxurious yet still reflects a green ethic may well want to consider one of the Jumeirah hotel group’s list of properties as the firm continues to make considerable efforts in the field of sustainability.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...