New record is set for tourism income in Cuba
A brand new record has been set in tourism income for Cuba. According to the Cuban National Statistics Office, nearly 1.5 million people have visited the country in the first five months of 2012, a figure that indicates a popularity growth in Cuba holidays.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has been visited by nearly 1.5 million people in the first five months of the present year, a smashing new record in tourism income for the country, according to the Cuban National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI). This incredible achievement proves that more and more tourists are becoming interested in Cuba holidays all over the world.
The impressive figure of 1.5 million visitors represents a 5.5 per cent growth compared to the same period of 2011, and confirms a steady increase since February. Even the number of travellers has increased in the month of May, which is considered low season by the Cuban Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR). The arrivals have grown up to 7.1 per cent more this year, compared to the last.
Image by: Hear and Their, on Flickr, on Flickr
The main benefit of this significant growth is the increase of economic income for the island. Just last year the arrival of 2, 716, 317 people in Cuba transformed itself into $1.7 billion. This figure is made up of transportation, lodging, food services and retail, but does not include the revenues of the self-employed sector, which is rapidly blossoming thanks to the new measures implemented by the Cuban government. Foreign tourists haven’t been the only ones contributing to the considerable increase in this sector.
Domestic tourism also grew, and over 1.3 million locals enjoyed the high-quality services and stayed in MINTUR Cuba hotels.
According to Lourdes Cisneros, the Dean of the Tourism Faculty at the Havana University, if the quality of the services offered in the country’s tourism sector continues to improve, this division could become the most important economic sector for Cuba in the future.
At the 2nd International Tourists Studies Conference, which was recently celebrated in Havana’s Convention Palace, Cisneros addressed over 200 foreign experts in the area of tourism research. In the event, she talked about the rapidly-growing flow of travellers from Latin American countries, which were not considered a significant source of tourists for the country a few years before.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr, on Flickr
She pointed out that this increase was due to the growing bonds between the island and the other countries of the region, and that it could become one of the main income sources for Cuba.
The specialist also referred to the USA as a potential source of visitors for the country in the future, seeing that recently Americans are becoming more and more interested in taking holidays to Cuba. She stated that in the case that restrictions on the island were lifted, Cuba would more than ready to receive Americans, given that the country has the necessary infrastructure to do so.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...