A Fair Tax on Flying Launches New Summer Campaign Calling for APD Review
The Airports Operators Association has launched a campaign that is looking to find over 100,000 people this summer who will write to their MPs demanding action on the unfair rise in Airport passenger Duty (APD). Holidaymakers now have to fork out even more money for flights to take them Caribbean holidays and long haul destinations since the eight percent rise was announced by the British chancellor in March.
A brand new “A Fair Tax on Flying” campaign has been launched by the Airports Operators Association and the industry coalition which is made up of more than 30 airlines, tour operators, airports and organisations.
The campaign is hoping to gain at least 100,000 supporters this summer who will contact their MPs to demand a review on the rising cost of Air Passenger Duty (APD). The rise affects the cost of Caribbean holidays and flights to long haul destination such as Australia, South America and South Africa.
In March this year, the British chancellor, George Osborne, announced in his Budget speech that APD would be increasing by a further eight per cent from April, 2012.
The campaign is helping travellers become aware of the effects that the APD rise is having on the travel industry throughout the world and it is urging people to support them and contact their MPs so that the issue can be reviewed by the government.
The Head of Public Affairs at ABTA, Luke Pollard, explained: “Higher and higher flight taxes make well-earned holidays more expensive and make British goods and services more costly than our competitors. At a time when the country desperately needs more jobs and growth taxes like APD makes economic recovery harder not easier.
“If the Government is serious about economic growth, then as a first step it should commission a study into the impacts of this tax on our economy. Holidaymakers and business travellers can join the call for this study by lobbying their MP.
He added that other European counties who had reviewed their APD had theirs reduced or removed and campaigners are hoping that this will happen in the UK.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr, on Flickr
APD is calculated according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Though Florida and Hawaii are located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking flights to the Caribbean are charged more.
The cost of the air tax for a family of four flying to destinations such as the United States or Egypt has risen from £240 to £260, and the same family taking holidays in the Caribbean or South Africa will now have to pay £324, compared to the previous £300.
“The goal of our campaign is simple: to secure the support of 100,000 people,” stated Darren Caplan, the Chief Executive of the AOA.
“We are encouraging anyone who believes the UK’s APD is now too high to visit the campaign website – www.afairtaxonflying.org- and spend a few seconds writing to their MP. With a double inflation APD rise now in place and further rises planned, it is imperative that the travelling public makes its voice heard in this important debate. We’re helping passengers to send a message to the Treasury loud and clear that APD is too high.”
The rise in APD has affected tourism in many countries and many regions such as the Caribbean heavily depend on the income generated from travellers visiting the islands. If fewer travellers from the UK book holidays to the Caribbean, local companies such as tourist attractions, restaurants, tour operators and Caribbean hotels and resorts could lose vital business.
If your holidays have been affected by the rise in APD tax you can make a contribution, make a formal complaint, join thousands of other concerned travellers and have your voice heard by signing the online petition at afairtaxonflying.org or liking their Facebook page facebook.com/afairtaxonflying.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...