A Fair Tax on Flying Launches New Summer Campaign Calling for APD Review
The Airports Operators Association has launched a campaign that is looking to find over 100,000 people this summer who will write to their MPs demanding action on the unfair rise in Airport passenger Duty (APD). Holidaymakers now have to fork out even more money for flights to take them Caribbean holidays and long haul destinations since the eight percent rise was announced by the British chancellor in March.
A brand new “A Fair Tax on Flying” campaign has been launched by the Airports Operators Association and the industry coalition which is made up of more than 30 airlines, tour operators, airports and organisations.
The campaign is hoping to gain at least 100,000 supporters this summer who will contact their MPs to demand a review on the rising cost of Air Passenger Duty (APD). The rise affects the cost of Caribbean holidays and flights to long haul destination such as Australia, South America and South Africa.
In March this year, the British chancellor, George Osborne, announced in his Budget speech that APD would be increasing by a further eight per cent from April, 2012.
The campaign is helping travellers become aware of the effects that the APD rise is having on the travel industry throughout the world and it is urging people to support them and contact their MPs so that the issue can be reviewed by the government.
The Head of Public Affairs at ABTA, Luke Pollard, explained: “Higher and higher flight taxes make well-earned holidays more expensive and make British goods and services more costly than our competitors. At a time when the country desperately needs more jobs and growth taxes like APD makes economic recovery harder not easier.
“If the Government is serious about economic growth, then as a first step it should commission a study into the impacts of this tax on our economy. Holidaymakers and business travellers can join the call for this study by lobbying their MP.
He added that other European counties who had reviewed their APD had theirs reduced or removed and campaigners are hoping that this will happen in the UK.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr, on Flickr
APD is calculated according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Though Florida and Hawaii are located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking flights to the Caribbean are charged more.
The cost of the air tax for a family of four flying to destinations such as the United States or Egypt has risen from £240 to £260, and the same family taking holidays in the Caribbean or South Africa will now have to pay £324, compared to the previous £300.
“The goal of our campaign is simple: to secure the support of 100,000 people,” stated Darren Caplan, the Chief Executive of the AOA.
“We are encouraging anyone who believes the UK’s APD is now too high to visit the campaign website – www.afairtaxonflying.org- and spend a few seconds writing to their MP. With a double inflation APD rise now in place and further rises planned, it is imperative that the travelling public makes its voice heard in this important debate. We’re helping passengers to send a message to the Treasury loud and clear that APD is too high.”
The rise in APD has affected tourism in many countries and many regions such as the Caribbean heavily depend on the income generated from travellers visiting the islands. If fewer travellers from the UK book holidays to the Caribbean, local companies such as tourist attractions, restaurants, tour operators and Caribbean hotels and resorts could lose vital business.
If your holidays have been affected by the rise in APD tax you can make a contribution, make a formal complaint, join thousands of other concerned travellers and have your voice heard by signing the online petition at afairtaxonflying.org or liking their Facebook page facebook.com/afairtaxonflying.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...