A Fair Tax on Flying Launches New Summer Campaign Calling for APD Review
The Airports Operators Association has launched a campaign that is looking to find over 100,000 people this summer who will write to their MPs demanding action on the unfair rise in Airport passenger Duty (APD). Holidaymakers now have to fork out even more money for flights to take them Caribbean holidays and long haul destinations since the eight percent rise was announced by the British chancellor in March.
A brand new “A Fair Tax on Flying” campaign has been launched by the Airports Operators Association and the industry coalition which is made up of more than 30 airlines, tour operators, airports and organisations.
The campaign is hoping to gain at least 100,000 supporters this summer who will contact their MPs to demand a review on the rising cost of Air Passenger Duty (APD). The rise affects the cost of Caribbean holidays and flights to long haul destination such as Australia, South America and South Africa.
In March this year, the British chancellor, George Osborne, announced in his Budget speech that APD would be increasing by a further eight per cent from April, 2012.
The campaign is helping travellers become aware of the effects that the APD rise is having on the travel industry throughout the world and it is urging people to support them and contact their MPs so that the issue can be reviewed by the government.
The Head of Public Affairs at ABTA, Luke Pollard, explained: “Higher and higher flight taxes make well-earned holidays more expensive and make British goods and services more costly than our competitors. At a time when the country desperately needs more jobs and growth taxes like APD makes economic recovery harder not easier.
“If the Government is serious about economic growth, then as a first step it should commission a study into the impacts of this tax on our economy. Holidaymakers and business travellers can join the call for this study by lobbying their MP.
He added that other European counties who had reviewed their APD had theirs reduced or removed and campaigners are hoping that this will happen in the UK.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr, on Flickr
APD is calculated according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Though Florida and Hawaii are located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking flights to the Caribbean are charged more.
The cost of the air tax for a family of four flying to destinations such as the United States or Egypt has risen from £240 to £260, and the same family taking holidays in the Caribbean or South Africa will now have to pay £324, compared to the previous £300.
“The goal of our campaign is simple: to secure the support of 100,000 people,” stated Darren Caplan, the Chief Executive of the AOA.
“We are encouraging anyone who believes the UK’s APD is now too high to visit the campaign website – www.afairtaxonflying.org- and spend a few seconds writing to their MP. With a double inflation APD rise now in place and further rises planned, it is imperative that the travelling public makes its voice heard in this important debate. We’re helping passengers to send a message to the Treasury loud and clear that APD is too high.”
The rise in APD has affected tourism in many countries and many regions such as the Caribbean heavily depend on the income generated from travellers visiting the islands. If fewer travellers from the UK book holidays to the Caribbean, local companies such as tourist attractions, restaurants, tour operators and Caribbean hotels and resorts could lose vital business.
If your holidays have been affected by the rise in APD tax you can make a contribution, make a formal complaint, join thousands of other concerned travellers and have your voice heard by signing the online petition at afairtaxonflying.org or liking their Facebook page facebook.com/afairtaxonflying.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...