Sandals resorts in key Caribbean holiday destinations reap the rewards of EarthCheck programme
Sandals Resorts, one of the best known and most loved hotel brands for travellers planning their dream luxury Caribbean holiday experience has recently been making significant contributions to promoting eco-friendly tourism across the Caribbean via their Sandals Earthguard powered by EarthCheck programme. Under the programme significant improvements have been made in the areas of water, waste and energy management as well as staff awareness.
The Sandals Resorts brand has built itself a sterling reputation over the years and has long been synonymous with luxurious Caribbean holidays. Management at Sandals have proven that they are not satisfied to rest on their laurels as they continue to raise the standards they have set for themselves. Most notably, over the course of the past 12 months Sandals have been hard at work building an equally stellar reputation in the field of eco-friendly tourism.
A year ago Sandals announced the launch of their environmental management programme across all their Caribbean hotels and resorts with the “Sandals Earthguard powered by EarthCheck”.
Since then, the Sandals chain of resorts have reportedly come a long way with their flagship hotel the Sandals Royal Bahamian recently receiving a silver rating by EarthCheck while the Sandals Negril, one of the most popular with travellers booking luxury Caribbean holidays, has proudly maintained its platinum status previously acquired in 2008 under the group’s former certification body, Green Globe.
Under the EarthCheck programme, Sandals have identified six key pillars necessary to reduce their environmental impact and improve their green credentials:
- Staff Awareness
- Energy Management
- Waste Management
- Control of Hazardous Substances
- Social and Cultural Development
- Water Conservation
Sandals’ work in the area of water management and water conservation has been particularly impressive given the number of travellers who stay at the many Sandals resorts during their holidays in the Caribbean and the demands that such a high level of occupancy places on water supplies. Across all Sandals Resorts water from ice machines are recycled and used for irrigation, while the Sandals resorts in Ocho Rios, Jamaica has been harvesting well water to reduce its reliance on municipal supplies.
EarthCheck CEO Steward Moore stated the following of Sandal’s achievements, “This achievement highlights the long term commitment that Sandals Resorts has shown to the communities and environment of the Caribbean. They’re well ahead of most governments and industry players globally as a result of their efforts, and serve as a leader in the field of sustainable practices."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...