Sandals resorts in key Caribbean holiday destinations reap the rewards of EarthCheck programme
Sandals Resorts, one of the best known and most loved hotel brands for travellers planning their dream luxury Caribbean holiday experience has recently been making significant contributions to promoting eco-friendly tourism across the Caribbean via their Sandals Earthguard powered by EarthCheck programme. Under the programme significant improvements have been made in the areas of water, waste and energy management as well as staff awareness.
The Sandals Resorts brand has built itself a sterling reputation over the years and has long been synonymous with luxurious Caribbean holidays. Management at Sandals have proven that they are not satisfied to rest on their laurels as they continue to raise the standards they have set for themselves. Most notably, over the course of the past 12 months Sandals have been hard at work building an equally stellar reputation in the field of eco-friendly tourism.
A year ago Sandals announced the launch of their environmental management programme across all their Caribbean hotels and resorts with the “Sandals Earthguard powered by EarthCheck”.
Since then, the Sandals chain of resorts have reportedly come a long way with their flagship hotel the Sandals Royal Bahamian recently receiving a silver rating by EarthCheck while the Sandals Negril, one of the most popular with travellers booking luxury Caribbean holidays, has proudly maintained its platinum status previously acquired in 2008 under the group’s former certification body, Green Globe.
Under the EarthCheck programme, Sandals have identified six key pillars necessary to reduce their environmental impact and improve their green credentials:
- Staff Awareness
- Energy Management
- Waste Management
- Control of Hazardous Substances
- Social and Cultural Development
- Water Conservation
Sandals’ work in the area of water management and water conservation has been particularly impressive given the number of travellers who stay at the many Sandals resorts during their holidays in the Caribbean and the demands that such a high level of occupancy places on water supplies. Across all Sandals Resorts water from ice machines are recycled and used for irrigation, while the Sandals resorts in Ocho Rios, Jamaica has been harvesting well water to reduce its reliance on municipal supplies.
EarthCheck CEO Steward Moore stated the following of Sandal’s achievements, “This achievement highlights the long term commitment that Sandals Resorts has shown to the communities and environment of the Caribbean. They’re well ahead of most governments and industry players globally as a result of their efforts, and serve as a leader in the field of sustainable practices."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...