Riviera Maya Announces Record Number of Tourists Taking Cancun Holidays in 2011
The Mexican coastal region of Riviera May received a record number of tourists last year. The Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office revealed that 3,610,367 tourists took Cancun holidays to the area which was a 7.05 per cent increase compared to the total number of visitors in 2010. The majority of the region's tourists originated from the United States.
Last year, the coastal region of Riviera Maya in Mexico received over three million travellers; an all time high for the popular tourist destination.
The Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office revealed that a whopping total of 3, 610,367 travellers took Cancun holidays in the region in 2011, which marked a 7.05 per cent increase on visitor arrivals in 2010.
In total Mexico received 10.2 million visitors in 2011 and 24 per cent of these tourists headed to the Riviera Maya to spend relaxing holidays in Cancun. The majority of travellers that visited the Riviera Maya last year originated from the United States, followed by Europe and Canada, while tourism from South America increased by 32.7 per cent.
In 2011, a total of 10,197,654 nights were recorded in Cancun hotels; a 7.9 per cent rise compared to 2010.
This year, Mexico’s coastal tourist resorts of Cancun and the Riviera Maya are attracting even more visitors than ever because many are intrigued by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
According to the MesoAmerican calendar, 21st December, 2012 marks the end of a 5,125 year-long cycle and Mayan mythology predicts that the Earth will collide with another planet or be swallowed by a black hole.
These prophecies are enticing thousands of international tourists to go on holidays to Cancun and the Riviera Maya to discover more about the ancient Mayan civilisation. The popular tourist hotspot is home to an array of ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
The Mexican Riviera Maya is located approximately 40 miles south of Cancun and boast some of the world’s most beautiful natural landscapes and wildlife species.
Travellers enjoying Cancun holidays to the Riviera Maya can hike through spectacular nature parks and reserves; snorkel or scuba dive in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters; and relax on white sand, pristine beaches.
New Cancun hotels are being developed across the region including the luxury Kanai development in 2014 that will feature numerous global hotel chains such as Starwood Hotels & Resorts; the St. Regis Kanai, Resort & Residence; W Retreat Kanai; Kanai Auberge; and Hyatt.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Recent figures released by the Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office show that visitor arrivals for the first quarter of 2012 are already exceeding those compared to the same period in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing in-house performers, complementing the many bars
- Exceptional culinary range offering something for every occasion
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
This legendary Hard Rock Resort is perfect for the whole family on the beautiful shores of Cancun, it even Includes up to $2,500 resort credit for additional extras
- When staying for a minimum of 5 nights between 1st September - 31st October 2017, One child per room can enjoy unlimited playtime free with various inclusions sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Receive up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
- Pamper yourself at the Rock Spa with outdoor Palapa style massage areas
- Choose from 6 restaurants and 5 bars
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Grand Oasis Cancun is a high class lively all inclusive hotel where you will never experience a dull moment. Situated...
This striking and cutting edge hotel is located south of Cancun on a exquisite stretch of beach.