Riviera Maya Announces Record Number of Tourists Taking Cancun Holidays in 2011
The Mexican coastal region of Riviera May received a record number of tourists last year. The Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office revealed that 3,610,367 tourists took Cancun holidays to the area which was a 7.05 per cent increase compared to the total number of visitors in 2010. The majority of the region's tourists originated from the United States.
Last year, the coastal region of Riviera Maya in Mexico received over three million travellers; an all time high for the popular tourist destination.
The Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office revealed that a whopping total of 3, 610,367 travellers took Cancun holidays in the region in 2011, which marked a 7.05 per cent increase on visitor arrivals in 2010.
In total Mexico received 10.2 million visitors in 2011 and 24 per cent of these tourists headed to the Riviera Maya to spend relaxing holidays in Cancun. The majority of travellers that visited the Riviera Maya last year originated from the United States, followed by Europe and Canada, while tourism from South America increased by 32.7 per cent.
In 2011, a total of 10,197,654 nights were recorded in Cancun hotels; a 7.9 per cent rise compared to 2010.
This year, Mexico’s coastal tourist resorts of Cancun and the Riviera Maya are attracting even more visitors than ever because many are intrigued by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
According to the MesoAmerican calendar, 21st December, 2012 marks the end of a 5,125 year-long cycle and Mayan mythology predicts that the Earth will collide with another planet or be swallowed by a black hole.
These prophecies are enticing thousands of international tourists to go on holidays to Cancun and the Riviera Maya to discover more about the ancient Mayan civilisation. The popular tourist hotspot is home to an array of ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
The Mexican Riviera Maya is located approximately 40 miles south of Cancun and boast some of the world’s most beautiful natural landscapes and wildlife species.
Travellers enjoying Cancun holidays to the Riviera Maya can hike through spectacular nature parks and reserves; snorkel or scuba dive in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters; and relax on white sand, pristine beaches.
New Cancun hotels are being developed across the region including the luxury Kanai development in 2014 that will feature numerous global hotel chains such as Starwood Hotels & Resorts; the St. Regis Kanai, Resort & Residence; W Retreat Kanai; Kanai Auberge; and Hyatt.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Recent figures released by the Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office show that visitor arrivals for the first quarter of 2012 are already exceeding those compared to the same period in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing in-house performers, complementing the many bars
- Exceptional culinary range offering something for every occasion
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Spend a week in Mexican Caribbean paradise with a fabulous all inclusive deal at a price that's hard to resist.
- The perfect location only 25 minutes from the airport and minutes away from downtown Cancun
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Spa treatments or benefit from the unlimited access to the Fitness Centre
- Enjoy a varied selection of sports activities and evening entertainment while your kids are having fun at the Kids Club
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Escape the real world for a while and plunge yourself into the Caribbean paradise of Cancun's all-inclusive, adults-only...
No matter if you're looking for a fun holiday with your family, a romantic getaway with your partner or a lively trip...