Riviera Maya Announces Record Number of Tourists Taking Cancun Holidays in 2011
The Mexican coastal region of Riviera May received a record number of tourists last year. The Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office revealed that 3,610,367 tourists took Cancun holidays to the area which was a 7.05 per cent increase compared to the total number of visitors in 2010. The majority of the region's tourists originated from the United States.
Last year, the coastal region of Riviera Maya in Mexico received over three million travellers; an all time high for the popular tourist destination.
The Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office revealed that a whopping total of 3, 610,367 travellers took Cancun holidays in the region in 2011, which marked a 7.05 per cent increase on visitor arrivals in 2010.
In total Mexico received 10.2 million visitors in 2011 and 24 per cent of these tourists headed to the Riviera Maya to spend relaxing holidays in Cancun. The majority of travellers that visited the Riviera Maya last year originated from the United States, followed by Europe and Canada, while tourism from South America increased by 32.7 per cent.
In 2011, a total of 10,197,654 nights were recorded in Cancun hotels; a 7.9 per cent rise compared to 2010.
This year, Mexico’s coastal tourist resorts of Cancun and the Riviera Maya are attracting even more visitors than ever because many are intrigued by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
According to the MesoAmerican calendar, 21st December, 2012 marks the end of a 5,125 year-long cycle and Mayan mythology predicts that the Earth will collide with another planet or be swallowed by a black hole.
These prophecies are enticing thousands of international tourists to go on holidays to Cancun and the Riviera Maya to discover more about the ancient Mayan civilisation. The popular tourist hotspot is home to an array of ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
The Mexican Riviera Maya is located approximately 40 miles south of Cancun and boast some of the world’s most beautiful natural landscapes and wildlife species.
Travellers enjoying Cancun holidays to the Riviera Maya can hike through spectacular nature parks and reserves; snorkel or scuba dive in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters; and relax on white sand, pristine beaches.
New Cancun hotels are being developed across the region including the luxury Kanai development in 2014 that will feature numerous global hotel chains such as Starwood Hotels & Resorts; the St. Regis Kanai, Resort & Residence; W Retreat Kanai; Kanai Auberge; and Hyatt.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Recent figures released by the Riviera Maya Destination Marketing Office show that visitor arrivals for the first quarter of 2012 are already exceeding those compared to the same period in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
- Exceptional culinary range with 18 restaurants as well as 14 different bars offering something for every occasion
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing the 50+ in-house performers, complementing the many bars
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable 8-day holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe...
The perfect family holiday awaits you at Crown Paradise Club located on the panoramic Cancun beach hotel zone known for...