VIPs Attend Groundbreaking Ceremonies for Dominican Republic's New $65 Million Cruise Centre
The groundbreaking ceremonies for the $65 million Amber Cove Cruise Centre took place last week, marking the start of the development of the Caribbean's newest cruise destination. The facility is being built on the Bay of Maimon near Puerto Plata and will be open to travellers going on Dominican Republic holidays via cruise ship in 2014.
A brand new cruise facility is under construction in the Dominican Republic following its groundbreaking ceremonies held last week.
The $65 million Amber Cove Cruise Centre is the Caribbean’s newest cruise destination and in 2014 it will be open to cruise ships and travellers going on Dominican Republic holidays.
The cruise centre’s position in the Bay of Maimon near Puerto Plata will help re-establish the nation’s northern coast as a destination for cruise holidays as it has not had any cruise arrivals in over 30 years.
The groundbreaking ceremonies took place on 15th May, 2012 and were attended by Dominican Republic's President Dr. Leonel Fernandez Reyna, the Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier Garcia, the Minister of Public Works & Communications Victor Diaz Rua, the Minister of Environment and Natural Resources, Ernesto Reyna and many more cruise and tourism industry leaders and VIPs.
Image by: MacEnsteph, on Flickr
The two-berth Amber Cove Cruise Centre is a joint project between Carnival Corporation & plc and the Rannik family of Grupo B&R and when it is completed it will have the capacity to accommodate 8,000 cruise passengers arriving on their cruise holidays to the Dominican Republic, as well as 2,000 crew members on a daily basis. In the first year, the facility is expected to receive over 250,000 cruise passengers.
Set upon 30 acres of waterfront, Amber Cove will feature several shops, restaurants, bars, a fun water attraction and a marketplace that will include locally sourced crafts and souvenirs.
The Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean nation after Cuba and it occupies the eastern two third of the island of Hispaniola. The nation boasts four magnificent mountain ranges, winding rivers, large lakes, turquoise coastal lagoons, sugar plantations, and miles of unspoilt white sand palm-fringed beaches.
Image by: photon_de, on Flickr
The popular tourist destination offers a wide selection of luxury Dominican hotels and resorts, championship golf courses and a wide range of watersports and activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, sailing, fishing and boat excursions.
The Dominican Republic’s most popular tourist resorts include Punta Cana and Cap Cana on the eastern tip; Santo Domingo, the country’s capital city; and the historic town of Puerto Plata on the northern coast.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...