Cuba ranks 3rd as a top holiday destination in the Caribbean
Cuba has been ranked in third position by the general director of the WTO for the Americas as the third most popular holiday destination in the Caribbean, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. With the popularity of Cuba holidays drastically increasing throughout the years, more holidaymakers than ever are being seduced into visiting this peculiar tropical paradise.
The general director of the World Tourism Organization (WTO) for the Americas, Carlos Vogeler, recently revealed that Cuba is now in third position as the Caribbean holiday destination that welcomes more tourists per year, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
The rising popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers heading to the Caribbean was revealed during Mr Vogeler’s visit to Jardines del Rey as part of a special tour he enjoyed after the end of the 32nd edition of Cuba’s annual tourism fair FITCUBA 2012. The official also added that Cuba is currently improving its tourist industry to provide visitors with enhanced holiday experiences, and that shed in the increasing number of tourists arriving to the island each year.
Those now seeking to enjoy holidays in Cuba have a larger number of hotels to choose from, a wider range of tourist attractions to enjoy and enhanced quality standards at most resorts, hostels, inns and boutique hotels. In addition further investment projects in attractions such as golf courses and marina as well as the opening of new hotel rooms are already in the pipeline.
Image by: pietroizzo, on Flickr
At the same pace Cuba's tourism industry has improved and evolved so have the tourism fairs organised in the island. The idea to take it this year to such an attractive place as Cayo Santa Maria was simply brilliant, according to Vogeler.
Mr Vogeler added that a visit to the pristine Jardines de La Reina archipelago (which Cayo Santa Maria is part of) allowed many foreigners to get to know the natural beauties that one can only find in these keys, (including the Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo keys), because they are a very valuable tourism product barely known outside Cuba.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Travel agents, tour operators, hotel chains and airline representatives toured the different facilities in the above-mentioned keys located off the northern central Cuban coast. There they were able to admire the beauty of the Playa Pilar resort, one of the most beautiful places in Cuba, where the sand dunes are among the best preserved in the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...