Cuba ranks 3rd as a top holiday destination in the Caribbean
Cuba has been ranked in third position by the general director of the WTO for the Americas as the third most popular holiday destination in the Caribbean, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. With the popularity of Cuba holidays drastically increasing throughout the years, more holidaymakers than ever are being seduced into visiting this peculiar tropical paradise.
The general director of the World Tourism Organization (WTO) for the Americas, Carlos Vogeler, recently revealed that Cuba is now in third position as the Caribbean holiday destination that welcomes more tourists per year, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
The rising popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers heading to the Caribbean was revealed during Mr Vogeler’s visit to Jardines del Rey as part of a special tour he enjoyed after the end of the 32nd edition of Cuba’s annual tourism fair FITCUBA 2012. The official also added that Cuba is currently improving its tourist industry to provide visitors with enhanced holiday experiences, and that shed in the increasing number of tourists arriving to the island each year.
Those now seeking to enjoy holidays in Cuba have a larger number of hotels to choose from, a wider range of tourist attractions to enjoy and enhanced quality standards at most resorts, hostels, inns and boutique hotels. In addition further investment projects in attractions such as golf courses and marina as well as the opening of new hotel rooms are already in the pipeline.
Image by: pietroizzo, on Flickr
At the same pace Cuba's tourism industry has improved and evolved so have the tourism fairs organised in the island. The idea to take it this year to such an attractive place as Cayo Santa Maria was simply brilliant, according to Vogeler.
Mr Vogeler added that a visit to the pristine Jardines de La Reina archipelago (which Cayo Santa Maria is part of) allowed many foreigners to get to know the natural beauties that one can only find in these keys, (including the Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo keys), because they are a very valuable tourism product barely known outside Cuba.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Travel agents, tour operators, hotel chains and airline representatives toured the different facilities in the above-mentioned keys located off the northern central Cuban coast. There they were able to admire the beauty of the Playa Pilar resort, one of the most beautiful places in Cuba, where the sand dunes are among the best preserved in the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...