Cuba ranks 3rd as a top holiday destination in the Caribbean
Cuba has been ranked in third position by the general director of the WTO for the Americas as the third most popular holiday destination in the Caribbean, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. With the popularity of Cuba holidays drastically increasing throughout the years, more holidaymakers than ever are being seduced into visiting this peculiar tropical paradise.
The general director of the World Tourism Organization (WTO) for the Americas, Carlos Vogeler, recently revealed that Cuba is now in third position as the Caribbean holiday destination that welcomes more tourists per year, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
The rising popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers heading to the Caribbean was revealed during Mr Vogeler’s visit to Jardines del Rey as part of a special tour he enjoyed after the end of the 32nd edition of Cuba’s annual tourism fair FITCUBA 2012. The official also added that Cuba is currently improving its tourist industry to provide visitors with enhanced holiday experiences, and that shed in the increasing number of tourists arriving to the island each year.
Those now seeking to enjoy holidays in Cuba have a larger number of hotels to choose from, a wider range of tourist attractions to enjoy and enhanced quality standards at most resorts, hostels, inns and boutique hotels. In addition further investment projects in attractions such as golf courses and marina as well as the opening of new hotel rooms are already in the pipeline.
Image by: pietroizzo, on Flickr
At the same pace Cuba's tourism industry has improved and evolved so have the tourism fairs organised in the island. The idea to take it this year to such an attractive place as Cayo Santa Maria was simply brilliant, according to Vogeler.
Mr Vogeler added that a visit to the pristine Jardines de La Reina archipelago (which Cayo Santa Maria is part of) allowed many foreigners to get to know the natural beauties that one can only find in these keys, (including the Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo keys), because they are a very valuable tourism product barely known outside Cuba.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Travel agents, tour operators, hotel chains and airline representatives toured the different facilities in the above-mentioned keys located off the northern central Cuban coast. There they were able to admire the beauty of the Playa Pilar resort, one of the most beautiful places in Cuba, where the sand dunes are among the best preserved in the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...