Cuba ranks 3rd as a top holiday destination in the Caribbean
Cuba has been ranked in third position by the general director of the WTO for the Americas as the third most popular holiday destination in the Caribbean, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. With the popularity of Cuba holidays drastically increasing throughout the years, more holidaymakers than ever are being seduced into visiting this peculiar tropical paradise.
The general director of the World Tourism Organization (WTO) for the Americas, Carlos Vogeler, recently revealed that Cuba is now in third position as the Caribbean holiday destination that welcomes more tourists per year, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
The rising popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers heading to the Caribbean was revealed during Mr Vogeler’s visit to Jardines del Rey as part of a special tour he enjoyed after the end of the 32nd edition of Cuba’s annual tourism fair FITCUBA 2012. The official also added that Cuba is currently improving its tourist industry to provide visitors with enhanced holiday experiences, and that shed in the increasing number of tourists arriving to the island each year.
Those now seeking to enjoy holidays in Cuba have a larger number of hotels to choose from, a wider range of tourist attractions to enjoy and enhanced quality standards at most resorts, hostels, inns and boutique hotels. In addition further investment projects in attractions such as golf courses and marina as well as the opening of new hotel rooms are already in the pipeline.
Image by: pietroizzo, on Flickr
At the same pace Cuba's tourism industry has improved and evolved so have the tourism fairs organised in the island. The idea to take it this year to such an attractive place as Cayo Santa Maria was simply brilliant, according to Vogeler.
Mr Vogeler added that a visit to the pristine Jardines de La Reina archipelago (which Cayo Santa Maria is part of) allowed many foreigners to get to know the natural beauties that one can only find in these keys, (including the Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo keys), because they are a very valuable tourism product barely known outside Cuba.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Travel agents, tour operators, hotel chains and airline representatives toured the different facilities in the above-mentioned keys located off the northern central Cuban coast. There they were able to admire the beauty of the Playa Pilar resort, one of the most beautiful places in Cuba, where the sand dunes are among the best preserved in the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...