As more tourists took Cuba holidays this past winter the island experienced best high season ever
During the recently culminated FITCUBA tourism fair held between 8-11 May, Manuel Marrero, Cuba's Minister of Tourism revealed a record-breaking growth in the number of tourists arriving to Cuba during the 2011-2012 high winter season with a marked increase in tourists from new source markets such as Argentina and Russia. During his speech he also revealed investment plans to open new Cuba hotels and improve the Cuba holidays experience with new tourism attractions and refurbishments.
It has been revealed by official government sources that as many as 1.73 million visitors arrived to Cuba between December 2011 and April 2012, marking an unprecedented record for the nation’s high tourist season.
Of the 1.73 million tourists who enjoyed Cuba holidays this past winter season, 1.24 were foreign tourists, representing a growth of 5.3 per cent compared to the 2011 figures for the same period.
The statics were recently unveiled by Manuel Marrero, Cuba’s Tourism Minister, during a speech at the 32nd International Tourism Fair, FITCUBA 2012.
Mr Marrero added that this growth showed the growing preference for Cuba holidays among holidaymakers as the island gained popularity as a top destination in the Caribbean region. He also attributed the island’s recent tourism success to its natural attractions, unique history and intrinsic beauty.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
During his speech he also reported that traditional tourism source markets like Canada and France, growing at a rate of 3 per cent and 9.6 per cent respectively, showed steady growth, while new markets like Argentina, the country that this year’s FITCUBA fair was dedicated to, doubled its figures of visitors. Other new markets showing marked increases in visitor numbers included Russia, Venezuela, Brazil, Holland, Colombia and Mexico.
The only countries reported to have seen a decrease in the number of tourists going on holidays to Cuba were the United Kingdom, Spain and Italy. Marrero linked the decreasing trends in these major tourism markets to the impact the global economic crisis had on these countries.
Marrero was also proud to point out that Cuba continues to work hard to increase the quality of the holiday experience they offer to discerning travellers while also trying to diversify the island’s tourism industry.
To this end he said that five new Cuba hotels had been opened in 2011, providing an additional 1537 rooms while over 6639 guest rooms at various hotels in Cuba underwent major refurbishment works to raise the standards of quality and comfort offered.
At present Cuba accommodates travellers at a total of 58,626 rooms, of which, 63 per cent are in four and five-star hotels (with 71 per cent of these located in beach resorts), 23 per cent cater to city tourism (mainly in cities like Havana, Trinidad, Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegos) and 2 per cent to nature tourism and eco-friendly holidays.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
On this note Marrero also added that the Tourism Ministry in the island also bought 315 new buses and 3652 new cars for tourists to rent, making it easier for holidaymakers to get around during their holidays in Cuba.
Marrero finished by saying that Cuba is now in the process of carrying out a massive investment plan that will see not only the addition of new hotel rooms, mostly in four and five-star hotels, but also the remodelling of some hotels in Cuba that need to increase the standard of quality they offer to visitors.
In the pipeline further new tourist attractions are planned, with several investment projects such as the construction of new golf courses, marinas, airports and an improved road network and transport facilities for tourists.
This marks the start of an ambitious new project that will see the addition of another 45,837 hotel rooms all along Cuba’s northern coast by 2030.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...