Tourism Minister announces more Cuba hotels to be built on keys and islets during FITUR Fair
During the recent edition of the 32nd International FITUR Fair held in Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba, the tourims minister announced the plans to construct a further 45,000 rooms in the island's offshore keys and islets in order to attract more tourists to some of these tourist spots. Cayo Santa Maria is the latest key to have gained popularity among holidaymakers planning sun and beach Cuba holidays.
During the 32nd edition of the International FITUR tourism fair, tourism officials unveiled plans for new offshore Cuba hotels to be built on the island’s keys and islets. The move was announced by industry leaders who explained that such plans were put in place to make the most of the tourism boom Cuba is currently experiencing.
With Cuba holidays having gained increasing popularity over the last few years as more tourists than ever arrive to the island, the country’s tourism sector is gearing up to welcome more visitors than ever, especially now that Americans are no allowed to go on holidays to Cuba for the first time in over 50 years thanks to the creation of People to People licenses introduced by the Obama administration. This sudden surge in American travellers going to Cuba has also pushed the need for more hotels in Cuba to accommodate the growing number of arrivals.
Image by: barcelohotels&resorts, on Flickr
As of now, the offshore destination that has seen the more recent development is Cayo Santa Maria, a beautiful pristine key off Cuba’s northern central coast in the province of Villa Clara. This tourist resort offers visitors with idyllic sun and beach holidays in Cuba and was also the venue selected to host this year’s FITUR fair.
During the event, Cuba’s Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero placed strong emphasis on the economic importance for the country to further develop Cuba’s offshore keys and islets in order to attract more tourists and provide a wider selection of accommodation options.
According to the minister the plan is to build 45,000 hotel rooms by 2030 on the keys adjacent to the mainland’s north-central region, east to the province of Camaguey.
At present, Cayo Santa Maria, a popular beach resort and islet, located some 340 kilometres (211 miles) east of Havana, has some 6,000 hotel rooms operated by chains like Spain's Melia and Barcelo, as revealed by the commercial director of the Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, and cited by local media.
Image by: AleksaJ, on Flickr
The organisers of the country's most important tourist event also announced the promotion of other nearby holiday destinations in offshore central Cuba such as the Cayo Las Brujas and Cayo Ensenachos. Both keys will be included in their promotional campaign to motivate more travellers to take family holidays in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...