Tourism Minister announces more Cuba hotels to be built on keys and islets during FITUR Fair
During the recent edition of the 32nd International FITUR Fair held in Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba, the tourims minister announced the plans to construct a further 45,000 rooms in the island's offshore keys and islets in order to attract more tourists to some of these tourist spots. Cayo Santa Maria is the latest key to have gained popularity among holidaymakers planning sun and beach Cuba holidays.
During the 32nd edition of the International FITUR tourism fair, tourism officials unveiled plans for new offshore Cuba hotels to be built on the island’s keys and islets. The move was announced by industry leaders who explained that such plans were put in place to make the most of the tourism boom Cuba is currently experiencing.
With Cuba holidays having gained increasing popularity over the last few years as more tourists than ever arrive to the island, the country’s tourism sector is gearing up to welcome more visitors than ever, especially now that Americans are no allowed to go on holidays to Cuba for the first time in over 50 years thanks to the creation of People to People licenses introduced by the Obama administration. This sudden surge in American travellers going to Cuba has also pushed the need for more hotels in Cuba to accommodate the growing number of arrivals.
Image by: barcelohotels&resorts, on Flickr
As of now, the offshore destination that has seen the more recent development is Cayo Santa Maria, a beautiful pristine key off Cuba’s northern central coast in the province of Villa Clara. This tourist resort offers visitors with idyllic sun and beach holidays in Cuba and was also the venue selected to host this year’s FITUR fair.
During the event, Cuba’s Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero placed strong emphasis on the economic importance for the country to further develop Cuba’s offshore keys and islets in order to attract more tourists and provide a wider selection of accommodation options.
According to the minister the plan is to build 45,000 hotel rooms by 2030 on the keys adjacent to the mainland’s north-central region, east to the province of Camaguey.
At present, Cayo Santa Maria, a popular beach resort and islet, located some 340 kilometres (211 miles) east of Havana, has some 6,000 hotel rooms operated by chains like Spain's Melia and Barcelo, as revealed by the commercial director of the Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, and cited by local media.
Image by: AleksaJ, on Flickr
The organisers of the country's most important tourist event also announced the promotion of other nearby holiday destinations in offshore central Cuba such as the Cayo Las Brujas and Cayo Ensenachos. Both keys will be included in their promotional campaign to motivate more travellers to take family holidays in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...