Tourism Minister announces more Cuba hotels to be built on keys and islets during FITUR Fair
During the recent edition of the 32nd International FITUR Fair held in Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba, the tourims minister announced the plans to construct a further 45,000 rooms in the island's offshore keys and islets in order to attract more tourists to some of these tourist spots. Cayo Santa Maria is the latest key to have gained popularity among holidaymakers planning sun and beach Cuba holidays.
During the 32nd edition of the International FITUR tourism fair, tourism officials unveiled plans for new offshore Cuba hotels to be built on the island’s keys and islets. The move was announced by industry leaders who explained that such plans were put in place to make the most of the tourism boom Cuba is currently experiencing.
With Cuba holidays having gained increasing popularity over the last few years as more tourists than ever arrive to the island, the country’s tourism sector is gearing up to welcome more visitors than ever, especially now that Americans are no allowed to go on holidays to Cuba for the first time in over 50 years thanks to the creation of People to People licenses introduced by the Obama administration. This sudden surge in American travellers going to Cuba has also pushed the need for more hotels in Cuba to accommodate the growing number of arrivals.
Image by: barcelohotels&resorts, on Flickr
As of now, the offshore destination that has seen the more recent development is Cayo Santa Maria, a beautiful pristine key off Cuba’s northern central coast in the province of Villa Clara. This tourist resort offers visitors with idyllic sun and beach holidays in Cuba and was also the venue selected to host this year’s FITUR fair.
During the event, Cuba’s Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero placed strong emphasis on the economic importance for the country to further develop Cuba’s offshore keys and islets in order to attract more tourists and provide a wider selection of accommodation options.
According to the minister the plan is to build 45,000 hotel rooms by 2030 on the keys adjacent to the mainland’s north-central region, east to the province of Camaguey.
At present, Cayo Santa Maria, a popular beach resort and islet, located some 340 kilometres (211 miles) east of Havana, has some 6,000 hotel rooms operated by chains like Spain's Melia and Barcelo, as revealed by the commercial director of the Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, and cited by local media.
Image by: AleksaJ, on Flickr
The organisers of the country's most important tourist event also announced the promotion of other nearby holiday destinations in offshore central Cuba such as the Cayo Las Brujas and Cayo Ensenachos. Both keys will be included in their promotional campaign to motivate more travellers to take family holidays in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...