Culturally enriching Cuba holidays for art lovers with 11th Havana Bienal Fair this May-June
Those lucky enough to be heading to Cuba holidays this May or June may be able to catch a glimpse of Cuba's largest art exhibiton fair and festival with the 11th edition of the Havana Bienal taking place from 11th May to 11th June 2012 and giving visitors the opportunity to admire the latest works from avant-garde Cuban artists and even purchase some unique art pieces.
It’s no secret to anyone that Cuban art, and contemporary Cuban artists for that matter, have been drawing attention from the worldwide art scene over recent years, gaining wider and wider recognition all over the world. This is why the 11th edition of Havana’s Bienal (or Biennial) fair taking place from 11th May to 11th June this year will be attracting massive crowds of art lovers, connoisseurs and curious travellers on their Cuba holidays wanting to get a glimpse of Cuba’s largest art fair.
This massive art event and exhibition is famous for showcasing the work of Cuban avant-garde artists and also gives visitors the opportunity to purchase fine art pieces. During times that Cuban art is making a big come-back (work by Wilfredo Lam, a Cuban painter from the 20th century recently sold for a whopping $3 million US dollars at the 2010 Art Basel Miami Beach Fair), this year’s fair in Havana looks promising and won’t fail to wow visitors.
A four-mile installation titled “Behind the Wall” will be set up at Havana’s iconic Malecon seawall promenade for this year’s edition of the fair, featuring some striking art-work that will not fail to catch the attention of passers-by.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
Esterio Segura, a Havana-born artist and one of the most recognised avant-garde exhibitionists at the fair will mount his “Homemade Submarines” at the Malecon esplanade which consists of classic American cars from the 50s with wings) and will also position a fibreglass artwork of massive proportions overlooking tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays in Havana’s international airport.
This art festival will be open to all art-lovers, industry professionals and holidaymakers enjoying holidays in Havana during the fair exhibition. The Havana Bienal not only celebrates Cuban art but also Latin American art, with a few pieces from Latin American artists also displayed at the fair.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
If this kind of art fair sound right up your alley but you can’t afford to go on holidays to Cuba this May or June on such short notice than you can also get to enjoy the best of contemporary Cuban art at the largest exhibition of art in Cuba in the UK being showcased this month in Scotland. The Beyond the Frame, Cuban Contemporary Art fair will be open from 7-13th May 2012, from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday. Special guests at the event exhibiting their art include Cuban artists Lesbia Vent Dumois, Gustavo Diaz Sosa and Kcho, one of the most highly acclaimed new Cuban artists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero.
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...