Culturally enriching Cuba holidays for art lovers with 11th Havana Bienal Fair this May-June
Those lucky enough to be heading to Cuba holidays this May or June may be able to catch a glimpse of Cuba's largest art exhibiton fair and festival with the 11th edition of the Havana Bienal taking place from 11th May to 11th June 2012 and giving visitors the opportunity to admire the latest works from avant-garde Cuban artists and even purchase some unique art pieces.
It’s no secret to anyone that Cuban art, and contemporary Cuban artists for that matter, have been drawing attention from the worldwide art scene over recent years, gaining wider and wider recognition all over the world. This is why the 11th edition of Havana’s Bienal (or Biennial) fair taking place from 11th May to 11th June this year will be attracting massive crowds of art lovers, connoisseurs and curious travellers on their Cuba holidays wanting to get a glimpse of Cuba’s largest art fair.
This massive art event and exhibition is famous for showcasing the work of Cuban avant-garde artists and also gives visitors the opportunity to purchase fine art pieces. During times that Cuban art is making a big come-back (work by Wilfredo Lam, a Cuban painter from the 20th century recently sold for a whopping $3 million US dollars at the 2010 Art Basel Miami Beach Fair), this year’s fair in Havana looks promising and won’t fail to wow visitors.
A four-mile installation titled “Behind the Wall” will be set up at Havana’s iconic Malecon seawall promenade for this year’s edition of the fair, featuring some striking art-work that will not fail to catch the attention of passers-by.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
Esterio Segura, a Havana-born artist and one of the most recognised avant-garde exhibitionists at the fair will mount his “Homemade Submarines” at the Malecon esplanade which consists of classic American cars from the 50s with wings) and will also position a fibreglass artwork of massive proportions overlooking tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays in Havana’s international airport.
This art festival will be open to all art-lovers, industry professionals and holidaymakers enjoying holidays in Havana during the fair exhibition. The Havana Bienal not only celebrates Cuban art but also Latin American art, with a few pieces from Latin American artists also displayed at the fair.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
If this kind of art fair sound right up your alley but you can’t afford to go on holidays to Cuba this May or June on such short notice than you can also get to enjoy the best of contemporary Cuban art at the largest exhibition of art in Cuba in the UK being showcased this month in Scotland. The Beyond the Frame, Cuban Contemporary Art fair will be open from 7-13th May 2012, from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday. Special guests at the event exhibiting their art include Cuban artists Lesbia Vent Dumois, Gustavo Diaz Sosa and Kcho, one of the most highly acclaimed new Cuban artists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- The first 30 bookings for travel in September or October will also get free upgrades to Sea View rooms in both hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...