Culturally enriching Cuba holidays for art lovers with 11th Havana Bienal Fair this May-June
Those lucky enough to be heading to Cuba holidays this May or June may be able to catch a glimpse of Cuba's largest art exhibiton fair and festival with the 11th edition of the Havana Bienal taking place from 11th May to 11th June 2012 and giving visitors the opportunity to admire the latest works from avant-garde Cuban artists and even purchase some unique art pieces.
It’s no secret to anyone that Cuban art, and contemporary Cuban artists for that matter, have been drawing attention from the worldwide art scene over recent years, gaining wider and wider recognition all over the world. This is why the 11th edition of Havana’s Bienal (or Biennial) fair taking place from 11th May to 11th June this year will be attracting massive crowds of art lovers, connoisseurs and curious travellers on their Cuba holidays wanting to get a glimpse of Cuba’s largest art fair.
This massive art event and exhibition is famous for showcasing the work of Cuban avant-garde artists and also gives visitors the opportunity to purchase fine art pieces. During times that Cuban art is making a big come-back (work by Wilfredo Lam, a Cuban painter from the 20th century recently sold for a whopping $3 million US dollars at the 2010 Art Basel Miami Beach Fair), this year’s fair in Havana looks promising and won’t fail to wow visitors.
A four-mile installation titled “Behind the Wall” will be set up at Havana’s iconic Malecon seawall promenade for this year’s edition of the fair, featuring some striking art-work that will not fail to catch the attention of passers-by.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
Esterio Segura, a Havana-born artist and one of the most recognised avant-garde exhibitionists at the fair will mount his “Homemade Submarines” at the Malecon esplanade which consists of classic American cars from the 50s with wings) and will also position a fibreglass artwork of massive proportions overlooking tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays in Havana’s international airport.
This art festival will be open to all art-lovers, industry professionals and holidaymakers enjoying holidays in Havana during the fair exhibition. The Havana Bienal not only celebrates Cuban art but also Latin American art, with a few pieces from Latin American artists also displayed at the fair.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
If this kind of art fair sound right up your alley but you can’t afford to go on holidays to Cuba this May or June on such short notice than you can also get to enjoy the best of contemporary Cuban art at the largest exhibition of art in Cuba in the UK being showcased this month in Scotland. The Beyond the Frame, Cuban Contemporary Art fair will be open from 7-13th May 2012, from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday. Special guests at the event exhibiting their art include Cuban artists Lesbia Vent Dumois, Gustavo Diaz Sosa and Kcho, one of the most highly acclaimed new Cuban artists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...