Culturally enriching Cuba holidays for art lovers with 11th Havana Bienal Fair this May-June
Those lucky enough to be heading to Cuba holidays this May or June may be able to catch a glimpse of Cuba's largest art exhibiton fair and festival with the 11th edition of the Havana Bienal taking place from 11th May to 11th June 2012 and giving visitors the opportunity to admire the latest works from avant-garde Cuban artists and even purchase some unique art pieces.
It’s no secret to anyone that Cuban art, and contemporary Cuban artists for that matter, have been drawing attention from the worldwide art scene over recent years, gaining wider and wider recognition all over the world. This is why the 11th edition of Havana’s Bienal (or Biennial) fair taking place from 11th May to 11th June this year will be attracting massive crowds of art lovers, connoisseurs and curious travellers on their Cuba holidays wanting to get a glimpse of Cuba’s largest art fair.
This massive art event and exhibition is famous for showcasing the work of Cuban avant-garde artists and also gives visitors the opportunity to purchase fine art pieces. During times that Cuban art is making a big come-back (work by Wilfredo Lam, a Cuban painter from the 20th century recently sold for a whopping $3 million US dollars at the 2010 Art Basel Miami Beach Fair), this year’s fair in Havana looks promising and won’t fail to wow visitors.
A four-mile installation titled “Behind the Wall” will be set up at Havana’s iconic Malecon seawall promenade for this year’s edition of the fair, featuring some striking art-work that will not fail to catch the attention of passers-by.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
Esterio Segura, a Havana-born artist and one of the most recognised avant-garde exhibitionists at the fair will mount his “Homemade Submarines” at the Malecon esplanade which consists of classic American cars from the 50s with wings) and will also position a fibreglass artwork of massive proportions overlooking tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays in Havana’s international airport.
This art festival will be open to all art-lovers, industry professionals and holidaymakers enjoying holidays in Havana during the fair exhibition. The Havana Bienal not only celebrates Cuban art but also Latin American art, with a few pieces from Latin American artists also displayed at the fair.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
If this kind of art fair sound right up your alley but you can’t afford to go on holidays to Cuba this May or June on such short notice than you can also get to enjoy the best of contemporary Cuban art at the largest exhibition of art in Cuba in the UK being showcased this month in Scotland. The Beyond the Frame, Cuban Contemporary Art fair will be open from 7-13th May 2012, from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday. Special guests at the event exhibiting their art include Cuban artists Lesbia Vent Dumois, Gustavo Diaz Sosa and Kcho, one of the most highly acclaimed new Cuban artists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Seize this opportunity to explore Cuba's mystical and ancient capital from top to bottom, savouring its enduring...