Nearly half of Cuba's foreign holidaymakers come from Canada
The National Statistics Office has revealed that the majority of travellers who took Cuba holidays in the first quarter of 2012 came from Canada. The number of international visitors to the island was up 5.3 per cent compared to the first quarter in 2011.
Cuba has welcomed an increase in international visitors during the first quarter of 2012 according to figures released by the National Statistics Office (ONE). The majority of tourists who took Cuba holidays between January and March this year originated from Canada and the number of international visitors increased by 5.3 per cent compared to the same period in 2011.
More than 48 per cent (459,466) of Cuba's holidaymakers were Canadian and 37,191 French tourists took holidays to Cuba in the first few months of 2012, which marks a 7.5 per cent increase on last year.
Tourist arrivals from Argentina took third place with 37,130 visitors, and the United Kingdom came fourth with 35,837 travellers. There were 35,064 visitors from Italy, 33,417 from Germany; 27,830 from Russia, and Spanish visitors dropped by 36.5 per cent with just 17,685 arrivals.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
In 2011, the total number of tourists who went on holidays in Cuba was 2.7 million and tourism officials are hoping to receive 3 million foreign travellers in 2012.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Cuba has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past ten years despite having no tourists from the United States until recently because of the ongoing travel embargo.
Cuba travel has become easier for American residents over the past year following the President Obama's decision to relax restrictions on the United States-Cuba embargo. American travellers can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional purposes.
Image by: Chodaboy, on Flickr
The country is building new restaurants, golf courses and Cuba hotels to prepare for the anticipated increase of holidaymakers this year and airlines are launching more flights to Cuba from U.S airports.
Popular holiday destinations in Cuba include the coastal area of Varadero Beach which is home to 20km of pristine beaches and luxury hotels and resorts; Villa Clara with its northern coastline that is dotted with an array of virgin cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; and Havana, the country's capital city that oozes culture, traditional architecture, history, a vivacious music and dance scene, and Cuban charm.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...