Nearly half of Cuba's foreign holidaymakers come from Canada
The National Statistics Office has revealed that the majority of travellers who took Cuba holidays in the first quarter of 2012 came from Canada. The number of international visitors to the island was up 5.3 per cent compared to the first quarter in 2011.
Cuba has welcomed an increase in international visitors during the first quarter of 2012 according to figures released by the National Statistics Office (ONE). The majority of tourists who took Cuba holidays between January and March this year originated from Canada and the number of international visitors increased by 5.3 per cent compared to the same period in 2011.
More than 48 per cent (459,466) of Cuba's holidaymakers were Canadian and 37,191 French tourists took holidays to Cuba in the first few months of 2012, which marks a 7.5 per cent increase on last year.
Tourist arrivals from Argentina took third place with 37,130 visitors, and the United Kingdom came fourth with 35,837 travellers. There were 35,064 visitors from Italy, 33,417 from Germany; 27,830 from Russia, and Spanish visitors dropped by 36.5 per cent with just 17,685 arrivals.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
In 2011, the total number of tourists who went on holidays in Cuba was 2.7 million and tourism officials are hoping to receive 3 million foreign travellers in 2012.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Cuba has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past ten years despite having no tourists from the United States until recently because of the ongoing travel embargo.
Cuba travel has become easier for American residents over the past year following the President Obama's decision to relax restrictions on the United States-Cuba embargo. American travellers can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional purposes.
Image by: Chodaboy, on Flickr
The country is building new restaurants, golf courses and Cuba hotels to prepare for the anticipated increase of holidaymakers this year and airlines are launching more flights to Cuba from U.S airports.
Popular holiday destinations in Cuba include the coastal area of Varadero Beach which is home to 20km of pristine beaches and luxury hotels and resorts; Villa Clara with its northern coastline that is dotted with an array of virgin cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; and Havana, the country's capital city that oozes culture, traditional architecture, history, a vivacious music and dance scene, and Cuban charm.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...