Dubai International Airport exceeds 4.5 million passenger target for third month in a row
Dubai International Airport has recorded a significant rise in the number of visitors arriving to and from Dubai holidays in the month of March, 2012. The airport recorded more than 4.5 million passengers which is a 15.4 per cent increase on March, 2011.
Dubai Airports' monthly traffic report has revealed that over 4.5 million passengers travelled through Dubai International Airport in March, 2012; a 15.4 per cent increase on the same month in 2011. Last month, 4,848, 320 travellers arrived to Dubai holidays and business trips via the emirate's international airport and passenger traffic exceeded the city's 4.5 million target.
The emirate has recorded double-digit growth throughout the first three months of 2012 and the total number of travellers taking holidays in Dubai has reached 14,261,606 already this year which is a 16.1 per cent increase on the figures during the first quarter of 2011.
Paul Griffiths, the Chief of Dubai Airports, explained: "New routes and additional frequencies are building on the magnetic attraction of Dubai's hub as a premier leisure and business destination and a convenient connecting point for global travellers. As growth continues to pick up in almost all markets, both traditional and new, the outlook for the second quarter is similarly positive."
Dubai International Airport also handled 186,417 tonnes of cargo during March, 2012, which was a 0.3 per cent increase on the 185,921 tonnes in March, 2011.
The rise in holidaymakers and business travellers has led to the development of several new Dubai hotels over recent months and over 13,200 new rooms are under construction across the city.
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and is a hub for leisure and business travellers. The city boasts unique architecture, enormous shopping malls, parks, luxurious hotels, and beautiful sandy beaches. Popular attractions include the Dubai Marina, Dubai, Jumeirah Mosque and the Wild Wadi Park.
Dubai was named as the Middle East's "World Festival and Event City" by the International Festivals and Events Association in 2011 and tourists can enjoy several exiting annual music festivals and shopping and sporting events during holidays to Dubai.
Every summer, families can enjoy a variety of fun activities, events, entertainment and discounts across the city during the Dubai Summer Surprises (DSS) promotion.
The annual festival is organised by the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE) and is aimed at families taking luxury holidays across the GCC. The summer event also helps increase occupancy levels for hotels in Dubai during their "weaker" tourist season.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- Nestled on the quiet, pristine West Crescent of Dubai’s iconic Palm Jumeirah
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay and play FREE
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
A mix of colonial heritage and contemporary design with tropical accents, The Ravenala Attitude is the first 4-star,...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...