Dubai International Airport exceeds 4.5 million passenger target for third month in a row
Dubai International Airport has recorded a significant rise in the number of visitors arriving to and from Dubai holidays in the month of March, 2012. The airport recorded more than 4.5 million passengers which is a 15.4 per cent increase on March, 2011.
Dubai Airports' monthly traffic report has revealed that over 4.5 million passengers travelled through Dubai International Airport in March, 2012; a 15.4 per cent increase on the same month in 2011. Last month, 4,848, 320 travellers arrived to Dubai holidays and business trips via the emirate's international airport and passenger traffic exceeded the city's 4.5 million target.
The emirate has recorded double-digit growth throughout the first three months of 2012 and the total number of travellers taking holidays in Dubai has reached 14,261,606 already this year which is a 16.1 per cent increase on the figures during the first quarter of 2011.
Paul Griffiths, the Chief of Dubai Airports, explained: "New routes and additional frequencies are building on the magnetic attraction of Dubai's hub as a premier leisure and business destination and a convenient connecting point for global travellers. As growth continues to pick up in almost all markets, both traditional and new, the outlook for the second quarter is similarly positive."
Dubai International Airport also handled 186,417 tonnes of cargo during March, 2012, which was a 0.3 per cent increase on the 185,921 tonnes in March, 2011.
The rise in holidaymakers and business travellers has led to the development of several new Dubai hotels over recent months and over 13,200 new rooms are under construction across the city.
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and is a hub for leisure and business travellers. The city boasts unique architecture, enormous shopping malls, parks, luxurious hotels, and beautiful sandy beaches. Popular attractions include the Dubai Marina, Dubai, Jumeirah Mosque and the Wild Wadi Park.
Dubai was named as the Middle East's "World Festival and Event City" by the International Festivals and Events Association in 2011 and tourists can enjoy several exiting annual music festivals and shopping and sporting events during holidays to Dubai.
Every summer, families can enjoy a variety of fun activities, events, entertainment and discounts across the city during the Dubai Summer Surprises (DSS) promotion.
The annual festival is organised by the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE) and is aimed at families taking luxury holidays across the GCC. The summer event also helps increase occupancy levels for hotels in Dubai during their "weaker" tourist season.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Take in the stunning 37 acre gardens of a property ideally situated in the heart of Dubai
- Good location from which to exploire Dubai's attractions such as the Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall or the souks of Deira
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- 14 restaurants and bars to suit every type of dining occassion, 4 swimming pools as well as rooms with a marble bath and spa tub
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...