Dubai International Airport exceeds 4.5 million passenger target for third month in a row
Dubai International Airport has recorded a significant rise in the number of visitors arriving to and from Dubai holidays in the month of March, 2012. The airport recorded more than 4.5 million passengers which is a 15.4 per cent increase on March, 2011.
Dubai Airports' monthly traffic report has revealed that over 4.5 million passengers travelled through Dubai International Airport in March, 2012; a 15.4 per cent increase on the same month in 2011. Last month, 4,848, 320 travellers arrived to Dubai holidays and business trips via the emirate's international airport and passenger traffic exceeded the city's 4.5 million target.
The emirate has recorded double-digit growth throughout the first three months of 2012 and the total number of travellers taking holidays in Dubai has reached 14,261,606 already this year which is a 16.1 per cent increase on the figures during the first quarter of 2011.
Paul Griffiths, the Chief of Dubai Airports, explained: "New routes and additional frequencies are building on the magnetic attraction of Dubai's hub as a premier leisure and business destination and a convenient connecting point for global travellers. As growth continues to pick up in almost all markets, both traditional and new, the outlook for the second quarter is similarly positive."
Dubai International Airport also handled 186,417 tonnes of cargo during March, 2012, which was a 0.3 per cent increase on the 185,921 tonnes in March, 2011.
The rise in holidaymakers and business travellers has led to the development of several new Dubai hotels over recent months and over 13,200 new rooms are under construction across the city.
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and is a hub for leisure and business travellers. The city boasts unique architecture, enormous shopping malls, parks, luxurious hotels, and beautiful sandy beaches. Popular attractions include the Dubai Marina, Dubai, Jumeirah Mosque and the Wild Wadi Park.
Dubai was named as the Middle East's "World Festival and Event City" by the International Festivals and Events Association in 2011 and tourists can enjoy several exiting annual music festivals and shopping and sporting events during holidays to Dubai.
Every summer, families can enjoy a variety of fun activities, events, entertainment and discounts across the city during the Dubai Summer Surprises (DSS) promotion.
The annual festival is organised by the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE) and is aimed at families taking luxury holidays across the GCC. The summer event also helps increase occupancy levels for hotels in Dubai during their "weaker" tourist season.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Immerse yourself in Ottoman-style opulence in the famous Palm Jumeirah during your stay at Jumeirah Zabeel Saray
Perfection is synonymous with the Zabeel Saray on Dubai's Palm Island, where you will find that the decadence of the Ottoman Empire has been perfectly recaptured
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...