Maldives celebrate increase in tourist arrivals
The number of travellers who took Maldives holidays in 2011 increased by 17.6 per cent compared to the year before according to new figures. The island nation attracts tourists with its white sand beaches, luxury hotels and scuba diving opportunities.
The Maldives received 931,000 visitors in 2011 which is a 17.6 per cent increase on the number of holidaymakers in 2010. Tourism officials are celebrating the increase and the Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation (MMPRC) is hoping to see one million tourists take Maldives holidays this year.
So far, visitor arrivals have shown a 3.3 per cent increase during the first quarter of 2012 compared to the same period last year and officials are confident that the country will meet its tourism target.
Situated in the Indian Ocean the Maldives is an archipelago spanning nearly 1,200 beautiful coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited. The islands boast luxury Maldives hotels with upscale accommodation and facilities including spas, infinity pools and gourmet restaurants, plus a selection of activities for tourists taking holidays to the Maldives such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat excursions, hiking through tropical forests and relaxing on unspoilt white sand palm-fringed beaches.
Last year the island nation launched a new tourism logo and slogan that reflects the country’s outstanding natural environment.
The “Maldives - Always Natural” slogan represents the country’s natural beautiful landscapes including the lush green rainforests, white sand beaches and turquoise ocean waters.
There are plenty of luxury hotels in the Maldives to choose from including over-water villas, beach villas, oceanfront bungalows and upscale spa resorts.
The stunning island nation offers the perfect getaway for romantic honeymoons or weddings, wellness spa breaks, scuba diving adventures, and relaxing family holidays.
During holidays in the Maldives tourists can dive beneath the surface of the crystal-clear turquoise ocean and explore the breathtaking underwater environment that is made up of colourful coral reefs and gardens. The waters are home to an abundance of stunning marine species including turtles, stingrays, whale sharks, zebra sharks, grey reef sharks, manta rays, eagle rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish, barracuda, parrot fish and trigger fish.
The Maldives was voted as the "World’s Most Romantic Destination" by the World Travel Awards and with stunning sunsets, deserted beaches and hundreds of virgin islands to explore, it’s no surprise that it is one of the most popular destinations in the world for weddings and honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Benifit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters also featuring private sun decks
- The Main Restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western fare
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Bask in the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean with this stunning Maldivian hideaway
- Explore the local reef with an expert guide
- Experience the true Maldivian way of life with a local family
- Indulge your senses with serene tranquillity at the Spa
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...