Maldives celebrate increase in tourist arrivals
The number of travellers who took Maldives holidays in 2011 increased by 17.6 per cent compared to the year before according to new figures. The island nation attracts tourists with its white sand beaches, luxury hotels and scuba diving opportunities.
The Maldives received 931,000 visitors in 2011 which is a 17.6 per cent increase on the number of holidaymakers in 2010. Tourism officials are celebrating the increase and the Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation (MMPRC) is hoping to see one million tourists take Maldives holidays this year.
So far, visitor arrivals have shown a 3.3 per cent increase during the first quarter of 2012 compared to the same period last year and officials are confident that the country will meet its tourism target.
Situated in the Indian Ocean the Maldives is an archipelago spanning nearly 1,200 beautiful coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited. The islands boast luxury Maldives hotels with upscale accommodation and facilities including spas, infinity pools and gourmet restaurants, plus a selection of activities for tourists taking holidays to the Maldives such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat excursions, hiking through tropical forests and relaxing on unspoilt white sand palm-fringed beaches.
Last year the island nation launched a new tourism logo and slogan that reflects the country’s outstanding natural environment.
The “Maldives - Always Natural” slogan represents the country’s natural beautiful landscapes including the lush green rainforests, white sand beaches and turquoise ocean waters.
There are plenty of luxury hotels in the Maldives to choose from including over-water villas, beach villas, oceanfront bungalows and upscale spa resorts.
The stunning island nation offers the perfect getaway for romantic honeymoons or weddings, wellness spa breaks, scuba diving adventures, and relaxing family holidays.
During holidays in the Maldives tourists can dive beneath the surface of the crystal-clear turquoise ocean and explore the breathtaking underwater environment that is made up of colourful coral reefs and gardens. The waters are home to an abundance of stunning marine species including turtles, stingrays, whale sharks, zebra sharks, grey reef sharks, manta rays, eagle rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish, barracuda, parrot fish and trigger fish.
The Maldives was voted as the "World’s Most Romantic Destination" by the World Travel Awards and with stunning sunsets, deserted beaches and hundreds of virgin islands to explore, it’s no surprise that it is one of the most popular destinations in the world for weddings and honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- including return transfers by speed boat
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Let everything go as you observe breath-taking landscapes during a relaxing stay at the amazing Velassaru Maldives...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...