Cancun celebrates its 42nd Anniversary as a holiday resort and destination
Cancun, one of Mexico's leading coastal tourist destinations, is celebrating its 42nd birthday this year. It became a beach resort in 1970 and over the years the strip of Caribbean coastline has seen thousands of travellers take Cancun holidays.
Cancun is celebrating its 42nd anniversary as a beach destination for travellers from all over the globe. Tourists go on Cancun holidays to relax on the beautiful beaches, swim in the turquoise ocean waters and visit the ancient archaeological Mayan ruins and temples. Studies have shown that the civilisation in the region dates back to 2600 BC.
The strip of Caribbean coastline was once an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves but in 1970 the region was developed into a tourist resort. Many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project which saw Cancun become one of Mexico's leading tourist destinations.
Over the years, thousands of holidaymakers have enjoyed holidays in Cancun and the region is full of upscale Cancun hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, tourist attractions and adventure activities.
During holidays in Cancun, adrenalin-seekers can take zip line tours through the lush jungles or go scuba diving beneath the surface of the azure sea and explore the famous underwater museum.
The Mexican resort receives over three million national and international tourists every year and it is now home to luxury accommodation, world-class golf courses and the country's second largest airport.
Over recent years, Cancun has had a party town reputation but tourism officials are working hard this year to reinvent the city as a destination for adults and food-lovers.
Cancun is set to receive even more visitors this year as intrigued travellers head to the region to find out more about the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Holiday bookings to Cancun have increased and a wide range of activities and events will take place over the next few months in Cancun, Tulum and Riviera Maya to mark the "end of the world".
Tourists can head to the modern-day pyramid, which is currently under construction in the town of Zama, to honour the ancient Mayans. Visitors are invited to place a dream, wish, or message on a piece of paper and place it inside a recyclable plastic water bottle. The bottles will then be used as the building blocks of the pyramid.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...