Cancun celebrates its 42nd Anniversary as a holiday resort and destination
Cancun, one of Mexico's leading coastal tourist destinations, is celebrating its 42nd birthday this year. It became a beach resort in 1970 and over the years the strip of Caribbean coastline has seen thousands of travellers take Cancun holidays.
Cancun is celebrating its 42nd anniversary as a beach destination for travellers from all over the globe. Tourists go on Cancun holidays to relax on the beautiful beaches, swim in the turquoise ocean waters and visit the ancient archaeological Mayan ruins and temples. Studies have shown that the civilisation in the region dates back to 2600 BC.
The strip of Caribbean coastline was once an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves but in 1970 the region was developed into a tourist resort. Many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project which saw Cancun become one of Mexico's leading tourist destinations.
Over the years, thousands of holidaymakers have enjoyed holidays in Cancun and the region is full of upscale Cancun hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, tourist attractions and adventure activities.
During holidays in Cancun, adrenalin-seekers can take zip line tours through the lush jungles or go scuba diving beneath the surface of the azure sea and explore the famous underwater museum.
The Mexican resort receives over three million national and international tourists every year and it is now home to luxury accommodation, world-class golf courses and the country's second largest airport.
Over recent years, Cancun has had a party town reputation but tourism officials are working hard this year to reinvent the city as a destination for adults and food-lovers.
Cancun is set to receive even more visitors this year as intrigued travellers head to the region to find out more about the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Holiday bookings to Cancun have increased and a wide range of activities and events will take place over the next few months in Cancun, Tulum and Riviera Maya to mark the "end of the world".
Tourists can head to the modern-day pyramid, which is currently under construction in the town of Zama, to honour the ancient Mayans. Visitors are invited to place a dream, wish, or message on a piece of paper and place it inside a recyclable plastic water bottle. The bottles will then be used as the building blocks of the pyramid.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...