Cancun celebrates its 42nd Anniversary as a holiday resort and destination
Cancun, one of Mexico's leading coastal tourist destinations, is celebrating its 42nd birthday this year. It became a beach resort in 1970 and over the years the strip of Caribbean coastline has seen thousands of travellers take Cancun holidays.
Cancun is celebrating its 42nd anniversary as a beach destination for travellers from all over the globe. Tourists go on Cancun holidays to relax on the beautiful beaches, swim in the turquoise ocean waters and visit the ancient archaeological Mayan ruins and temples. Studies have shown that the civilisation in the region dates back to 2600 BC.
The strip of Caribbean coastline was once an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves but in 1970 the region was developed into a tourist resort. Many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project which saw Cancun become one of Mexico's leading tourist destinations.
Over the years, thousands of holidaymakers have enjoyed holidays in Cancun and the region is full of upscale Cancun hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, tourist attractions and adventure activities.
During holidays in Cancun, adrenalin-seekers can take zip line tours through the lush jungles or go scuba diving beneath the surface of the azure sea and explore the famous underwater museum.
The Mexican resort receives over three million national and international tourists every year and it is now home to luxury accommodation, world-class golf courses and the country's second largest airport.
Over recent years, Cancun has had a party town reputation but tourism officials are working hard this year to reinvent the city as a destination for adults and food-lovers.
Cancun is set to receive even more visitors this year as intrigued travellers head to the region to find out more about the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Holiday bookings to Cancun have increased and a wide range of activities and events will take place over the next few months in Cancun, Tulum and Riviera Maya to mark the "end of the world".
Tourists can head to the modern-day pyramid, which is currently under construction in the town of Zama, to honour the ancient Mayans. Visitors are invited to place a dream, wish, or message on a piece of paper and place it inside a recyclable plastic water bottle. The bottles will then be used as the building blocks of the pyramid.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...