Cancun celebrates its 42nd Anniversary as a holiday resort and destination
Cancun, one of Mexico's leading coastal tourist destinations, is celebrating its 42nd birthday this year. It became a beach resort in 1970 and over the years the strip of Caribbean coastline has seen thousands of travellers take Cancun holidays.
Cancun is celebrating its 42nd anniversary as a beach destination for travellers from all over the globe. Tourists go on Cancun holidays to relax on the beautiful beaches, swim in the turquoise ocean waters and visit the ancient archaeological Mayan ruins and temples. Studies have shown that the civilisation in the region dates back to 2600 BC.
The strip of Caribbean coastline was once an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves but in 1970 the region was developed into a tourist resort. Many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project which saw Cancun become one of Mexico's leading tourist destinations.
Over the years, thousands of holidaymakers have enjoyed holidays in Cancun and the region is full of upscale Cancun hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, tourist attractions and adventure activities.
During holidays in Cancun, adrenalin-seekers can take zip line tours through the lush jungles or go scuba diving beneath the surface of the azure sea and explore the famous underwater museum.
The Mexican resort receives over three million national and international tourists every year and it is now home to luxury accommodation, world-class golf courses and the country's second largest airport.
Over recent years, Cancun has had a party town reputation but tourism officials are working hard this year to reinvent the city as a destination for adults and food-lovers.
Cancun is set to receive even more visitors this year as intrigued travellers head to the region to find out more about the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Holiday bookings to Cancun have increased and a wide range of activities and events will take place over the next few months in Cancun, Tulum and Riviera Maya to mark the "end of the world".
Tourists can head to the modern-day pyramid, which is currently under construction in the town of Zama, to honour the ancient Mayans. Visitors are invited to place a dream, wish, or message on a piece of paper and place it inside a recyclable plastic water bottle. The bottles will then be used as the building blocks of the pyramid.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...