Caribbean warned that reefs could disappear by 2020 due to global warming
Bharrat Jagdeo, the former president of Guyana has warned tourism officials that the Caribbean's reefs could be gone by 2020 if the earth continues to heat up. International travellers go on Caribbean holidays each year to explore the spectacular reefs.
The former president of Guyana and a world leader in climate change policy, Bharrat Jagdeo, has explained to attendees of the 13th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable tourism Development that the Caribbean’s reefs could be gone by 2020 due to global warming.
According to Jagdeo, the earth’s temperature is expected to rise by four degrees by 2020 and “the forests will die, the corals will die, the sea-level will rise and we’ll lose most of our beaches.”
Every year, millions of tourists go on Caribbean holidays especially to explore the breathtaking reefs and marine environment and the scuba diving industry is a major income for the region’s economy.
Jagdeo urged tourism officials to help their governments understand the impact that this will have on each nation in the Caribbean.
He added: “There are governments which are sleepwalking on this issue.”
Jagdeo created a Low Carbon Development Strategy for Guyana in 2007 and he signed an agreement with the Norway government that saw Guyana receive US$250 million in exchange for keeping the country’s rainforest intact.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
During the annual Caribbean conference, the former president advised Caribbean companies to look into climate financing from international sources that would allow the region to move into renewable energies.
The Director General of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Alec Sanguinetti, stated that the industry’s financial stability is top priority before they can secure environmental sustainability.
The region’s economy heavily relies on international tourists going on holidays to the Caribbean and the reefs that fringe the shores of many of its picturesque islands are some of the main tourist attractions.
Island nations such as Bonaire, the Cayman Islands, Antigua, Cuba and Curacao are famous for their beautiful coral reef systems and many Caribbean hotels and resorts make their living from visiting scuba diving tourists and professionals.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Caribbean’s oceans are home to an array of marine species including tiger sharks, reef sharks, whales, dolphins, turtles, eagle rays, manta rays, seahorses, eels and hundreds of tropical fish including parrot fish, angel fish, clown fish, file fish, groupers, barracuda and butterfly fish.
The region’s warm turquoise, crystal clear ocean waters attract tourists from all over the globe and during a holiday in the Caribbean, there are endless opportunities to explore the underwater delights, whether it’s through scuba diving trips, snorkelling activities or glass-bottom boat tours.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...