One Million tourists took Cuba holidays during the first three months of 2012
Cuba has already received its first million visitors ahead of schedule, according to MINTUR the Cuban Ministry of Tourism. The island saw an influx of visitors taking Cuba holidays in the first three months of 2012, with an increase in Russian tourists.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled.
According to MINTUR, the Cuban Ministry of Tourism, the island received four per cent more tourists taking Cuba holidays compared to the same period in 2011 and the tourism industry's revenues are up by 12 per cent.
The majority of visitors who went on holidays to Cuba in the first three months of this year originated from Canada, followed by Argentina, Italy, the United Kingdom and Germany.
The island also saw a rise in the number of Russian travellers. Last year, over 2.7 million travellers visited Cuba with 78,500 of these arriving from Russia. In the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount from the same months in 2011.
In a statement, the ministry said: "Arriving again at this important number of visitors, in a shorter period than the previous year, confirms a preference for our destination and our promise of a tranquil, healthy, safe and reliable tourism experience."
MINTUR is hoping to attract more travellers from Colombia, Peru and the Netherlands this year and officials are optimistic about meeting the annual target of 2.9 visitors in total by the end of 2012.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
The island nation has become the third major holiday destination in the Caribbean in the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States because of the travel embargo.
Cuba travel has become easier for American travellers over the past year after the ongoing United States-Cuba embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional reasons.
New restaurants, golf courses and hotels in Cuba are opening up across the island to prepare for the expected increase of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...