One Million tourists took Cuba holidays during the first three months of 2012
Cuba has already received its first million visitors ahead of schedule, according to MINTUR the Cuban Ministry of Tourism. The island saw an influx of visitors taking Cuba holidays in the first three months of 2012, with an increase in Russian tourists.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled.
According to MINTUR, the Cuban Ministry of Tourism, the island received four per cent more tourists taking Cuba holidays compared to the same period in 2011 and the tourism industry's revenues are up by 12 per cent.
The majority of visitors who went on holidays to Cuba in the first three months of this year originated from Canada, followed by Argentina, Italy, the United Kingdom and Germany.
The island also saw a rise in the number of Russian travellers. Last year, over 2.7 million travellers visited Cuba with 78,500 of these arriving from Russia. In the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount from the same months in 2011.
In a statement, the ministry said: "Arriving again at this important number of visitors, in a shorter period than the previous year, confirms a preference for our destination and our promise of a tranquil, healthy, safe and reliable tourism experience."
MINTUR is hoping to attract more travellers from Colombia, Peru and the Netherlands this year and officials are optimistic about meeting the annual target of 2.9 visitors in total by the end of 2012.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
The island nation has become the third major holiday destination in the Caribbean in the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States because of the travel embargo.
Cuba travel has become easier for American travellers over the past year after the ongoing United States-Cuba embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional reasons.
New restaurants, golf courses and hotels in Cuba are opening up across the island to prepare for the expected increase of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...