One Million tourists took Cuba holidays during the first three months of 2012
Cuba has already received its first million visitors ahead of schedule, according to MINTUR the Cuban Ministry of Tourism. The island saw an influx of visitors taking Cuba holidays in the first three months of 2012, with an increase in Russian tourists.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled.
According to MINTUR, the Cuban Ministry of Tourism, the island received four per cent more tourists taking Cuba holidays compared to the same period in 2011 and the tourism industry's revenues are up by 12 per cent.
The majority of visitors who went on holidays to Cuba in the first three months of this year originated from Canada, followed by Argentina, Italy, the United Kingdom and Germany.
The island also saw a rise in the number of Russian travellers. Last year, over 2.7 million travellers visited Cuba with 78,500 of these arriving from Russia. In the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount from the same months in 2011.
In a statement, the ministry said: "Arriving again at this important number of visitors, in a shorter period than the previous year, confirms a preference for our destination and our promise of a tranquil, healthy, safe and reliable tourism experience."
MINTUR is hoping to attract more travellers from Colombia, Peru and the Netherlands this year and officials are optimistic about meeting the annual target of 2.9 visitors in total by the end of 2012.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
The island nation has become the third major holiday destination in the Caribbean in the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States because of the travel embargo.
Cuba travel has become easier for American travellers over the past year after the ongoing United States-Cuba embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional reasons.
New restaurants, golf courses and hotels in Cuba are opening up across the island to prepare for the expected increase of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...