One Million tourists took Cuba holidays during the first three months of 2012
Cuba has already received its first million visitors ahead of schedule, according to MINTUR the Cuban Ministry of Tourism. The island saw an influx of visitors taking Cuba holidays in the first three months of 2012, with an increase in Russian tourists.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled.
According to MINTUR, the Cuban Ministry of Tourism, the island received four per cent more tourists taking Cuba holidays compared to the same period in 2011 and the tourism industry's revenues are up by 12 per cent.
The majority of visitors who went on holidays to Cuba in the first three months of this year originated from Canada, followed by Argentina, Italy, the United Kingdom and Germany.
The island also saw a rise in the number of Russian travellers. Last year, over 2.7 million travellers visited Cuba with 78,500 of these arriving from Russia. In the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount from the same months in 2011.
In a statement, the ministry said: "Arriving again at this important number of visitors, in a shorter period than the previous year, confirms a preference for our destination and our promise of a tranquil, healthy, safe and reliable tourism experience."
MINTUR is hoping to attract more travellers from Colombia, Peru and the Netherlands this year and officials are optimistic about meeting the annual target of 2.9 visitors in total by the end of 2012.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
The island nation has become the third major holiday destination in the Caribbean in the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States because of the travel embargo.
Cuba travel has become easier for American travellers over the past year after the ongoing United States-Cuba embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional reasons.
New restaurants, golf courses and hotels in Cuba are opening up across the island to prepare for the expected increase of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...