One Million tourists took Cuba holidays during the first three months of 2012
Cuba has already received its first million visitors ahead of schedule, according to MINTUR the Cuban Ministry of Tourism. The island saw an influx of visitors taking Cuba holidays in the first three months of 2012, with an increase in Russian tourists.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has welcomed one million visitors during the first three months of 2012, ahead of the date they had originally scheduled.
According to MINTUR, the Cuban Ministry of Tourism, the island received four per cent more tourists taking Cuba holidays compared to the same period in 2011 and the tourism industry's revenues are up by 12 per cent.
The majority of visitors who went on holidays to Cuba in the first three months of this year originated from Canada, followed by Argentina, Italy, the United Kingdom and Germany.
The island also saw a rise in the number of Russian travellers. Last year, over 2.7 million travellers visited Cuba with 78,500 of these arriving from Russia. In the first few months of 2012, more than 26,000 Russian tourists took holidays in Cuba which was nearly twice the amount from the same months in 2011.
In a statement, the ministry said: "Arriving again at this important number of visitors, in a shorter period than the previous year, confirms a preference for our destination and our promise of a tranquil, healthy, safe and reliable tourism experience."
MINTUR is hoping to attract more travellers from Colombia, Peru and the Netherlands this year and officials are optimistic about meeting the annual target of 2.9 visitors in total by the end of 2012.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
The island nation has become the third major holiday destination in the Caribbean in the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States because of the travel embargo.
Cuba travel has become easier for American travellers over the past year after the ongoing United States-Cuba embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional reasons.
New restaurants, golf courses and hotels in Cuba are opening up across the island to prepare for the expected increase of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...