Protea Hotels announce substantial investment in the Africa holidays market
The Protea Hospitality group recently announced a $130 million USD investment in Africa hotels- the largest investment by a hotel group in 2012. The strategic move will benefit not only Protea but the many travellers booking Africa holidays each year.
The Protea Hospitality Group has recently announced a $130 million USD investment in the opening of new Africa hotels representing the largest expansion on the continent in 2012 of any hotel group. The group will substantially increase its presence in Africa with the new properties set to increase the number of African markets where Protea Hotels will be available to a remarkable nine.
The zeal with which the hotel group is approaching its new investment plan on the Africa holidays market is indicative of its confidence in the African continent as a key holiday destination with a growing interest among travellers in going on holidays to Africa, “As political stability and business opportunities increase, they create a greater need for the hotels and we're leading the charge” noted Protea Hospitality Group CEO Arthur Gillis. Travellers planning their Africa holidays in the coming months will be pleased to know that the first Protea hotel will launch in Nigeria in mid-2012 with 10 other properties to follow in the West African nation together with other African nations.
Image by: Hotel Ranga, on Flickr
In addition to the string of Nigeria hotels set to be launched between mid-2012 and throughout the course of 2013, three more hotels will be launched in Uganda with the 70 room Protea Entebbe set to open its doors to guests as early as April 2012. In Zambia, construction has already begun on the Protea Hotel Mulingushi (name to be confirmed) which will boast of 104 rooms while construction on the 80 room Protea Hotel Ndola is scheduled to start in April 2012.
Spokespoeple for the Group have underscored the growing business opportunities coming out of these key markets over the past few years stating, “There are a number of countries such as Nigeria, Zambia, Uganda and Angola that are flying in the face of the global economic trend as far as hospitality is concerned. Africa's traditional trading partners have been changing rapidly in recent years, and this is spurring unprecedented growth in regions that have previously not seen the numbers.”
Image by: Allan Rickmann, on Flickr
The Protea Group is not the only entity that stands to benefit from this alliance with an estimated 1000 new jobs set to be generated in the tourism industry of these nations on the opening of these new hotels in Africa. Additionally, the many travellers who book Africa holidays stand to benefit from greater choice and hopefully the improved quality and affordable prices that have traditionally accompanied competitive markets. CEO Gillis noted this mutual benefit stating, “It's Africa's year for development and that means it's also the group's year for development”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
The ideal luxury hideaway for rich Moroccan culture with a dash of coastal recreation and sun-seeking pleasures.
- All rooms come equipped with satellite TV and Wi-Fi Internet access
- The So Lounge, Bar & Restaurant has separate sections with a DJ, live music, contemporary Moroccan cuisine and Zen calm and comfort private boxes
- Great for sport lovers, with kayaking, tennis, table tennis, volleyball, windsurfing and more available
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Travel through the wonderful winelands region of South Africa before a short stay in a fully-equipped Dubai city hotel
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha is set in Dubai's Al Barsha area, close to world-class shops, restaurants and popular Dubai attractions, just behind the Mall of The Emirates.
- Rental car included for the tour of South Africa
- Travel through the Winelands and Cape Peninsula in one of the most beautiful areas of the world
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...
Situated outside the city in a quiet and uplifting location by the seaside, the Ezzahra Dar Tunis enjoys a wonderfully...
In close proximity to the business district and right in the midst of all the action in Tunis, El Hana International is...