Protea Hotels announce substantial investment in the Africa holidays market
The Protea Hospitality group recently announced a $130 million USD investment in Africa hotels- the largest investment by a hotel group in 2012. The strategic move will benefit not only Protea but the many travellers booking Africa holidays each year.
The Protea Hospitality Group has recently announced a $130 million USD investment in the opening of new Africa hotels representing the largest expansion on the continent in 2012 of any hotel group. The group will substantially increase its presence in Africa with the new properties set to increase the number of African markets where Protea Hotels will be available to a remarkable nine.
The zeal with which the hotel group is approaching its new investment plan on the Africa holidays market is indicative of its confidence in the African continent as a key holiday destination with a growing interest among travellers in going on holidays to Africa, “As political stability and business opportunities increase, they create a greater need for the hotels and we're leading the charge” noted Protea Hospitality Group CEO Arthur Gillis. Travellers planning their Africa holidays in the coming months will be pleased to know that the first Protea hotel will launch in Nigeria in mid-2012 with 10 other properties to follow in the West African nation together with other African nations.
Image by: Hotel Ranga, on Flickr
In addition to the string of Nigeria hotels set to be launched between mid-2012 and throughout the course of 2013, three more hotels will be launched in Uganda with the 70 room Protea Entebbe set to open its doors to guests as early as April 2012. In Zambia, construction has already begun on the Protea Hotel Mulingushi (name to be confirmed) which will boast of 104 rooms while construction on the 80 room Protea Hotel Ndola is scheduled to start in April 2012.
Spokespoeple for the Group have underscored the growing business opportunities coming out of these key markets over the past few years stating, “There are a number of countries such as Nigeria, Zambia, Uganda and Angola that are flying in the face of the global economic trend as far as hospitality is concerned. Africa's traditional trading partners have been changing rapidly in recent years, and this is spurring unprecedented growth in regions that have previously not seen the numbers.”
Image by: Allan Rickmann, on Flickr
The Protea Group is not the only entity that stands to benefit from this alliance with an estimated 1000 new jobs set to be generated in the tourism industry of these nations on the opening of these new hotels in Africa. Additionally, the many travellers who book Africa holidays stand to benefit from greater choice and hopefully the improved quality and affordable prices that have traditionally accompanied competitive markets. CEO Gillis noted this mutual benefit stating, “It's Africa's year for development and that means it's also the group's year for development”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Discover Morocco with plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment for the whole family
Benefit from the private balcony with wonderful garden or sea views at Agadir Beach Club
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with the activities for everyone to enjoy - indoor pool, kids' club, beach volleyball, table tennis and more
- Relax and enjoy the fabulous spa services and all massage treatment rooms
- Elegant and modern restaurants offering international, seafood, French, Moroccan and Italian cuisines
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Travel through the wonderful winelands region of South Africa before a short stay in a fully-equipped Dubai city hotel
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha is set in Dubai's Al Barsha area, close to world-class shops, restaurants and popular Dubai attractions, just behind the Mall of The Emirates.
- Rental car included for the tour of South Africa
- Travel through the Winelands and Cape Peninsula in one of the most beautiful areas of the world
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...