New Cuba hotels to open 25,000 new rooms in 2020
According to official government sources, Cuba has 25,000 new hotel rooms currently under construction and they expect these to be ready for welcoming tourists on Cuba holidays in 2020. The increased number of Cuba hotels is to keep up with growing demand
Recent government sources from the island have unveiled the country’s intention to build a further 24,000 hotel rooms in order to keep up with growing demand from increasing tourism to the island. With the popularity of Cuba holidays increasing rapidly every year the island has experienced a boom in tourism arrivals, with tourism figures growing every year.
In 2011 the island welcomed around 700,000 more visitors indicating a substantial growth of 7.3 per cent more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba last year. This figure is expected to keep growing in 2012 and see further growth in the coming years. In addition to the regular tourism markets in Europe and Canada responsible for sending the largest number of tourists to the island, other source markets are emerging, with Russian and South American travellers now leading the way for growth. To cope with the expected ongoing growth the island’s tourist infrastructure needs to expand considerably and it is for this reason that tourism officials have decided to start construction plans on new Cuba hotels in order to cater for the increased flow of tourists arriving to the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Cuba’s Vice Minister of Tourism, Alexis Trujillo, has confirmed that the building of these new hotel rooms is being funded by foreign and Cuban investment. He also confirmed that the island plans to increase the diversity of Cuba’s tourism product with the 13 new golf courses planned, all of which are in different stages of negotiation talks at the moment, as are the construction of new theme parks to spring up around the whole island.
Regarding foreign investment, Mr Trujillo explained that of the currently existing 58,000 hotel rooms in Cuba, 6000 belong to 30 companies of mixed ownership (divided ownership between Cuban capital and foreign capital) and they await further Cuba hotels to be constructed by these kind of consortia companies.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
During a press conference called in the occasion of Pope Benedict XVI to Cuba, Trujillo highlighted the increase of foreign tourist arrivals to the island over the last few years, whose figures have experienced an average growth of 10.5 per cent since 1990.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Combine the vibrancy of charming Havana with a relaxing beach escape at a 24-hour All Inclusive resort in Varadero
- Never waste a minute in Varadero with everything from watersports to Spanish lessons to salsa and more
- Make the most of Havana with a private beach and the sea adjacent to the property and Old Havana nearby
- An excellent selection of restaurants and bars in Varadero including 3 a La Carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars
Absorb the urban and colonial riches of Havana and take in the beauty of Varadero's sandy turquoise beach with our top pick of hotels.
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, serving tapas and Italian amongst others, as well as a 24-hour bar in Havana
- An excellent location in Varadero on a stretch of pristine white beach near the Gaviota Marina and near the Punta Hicacos National Park
- Sample the fine mix of cultures in Havana and then enjoy the natural beauty of Varadero
Soak up the atmosphere of the Caribbean's most unique city of the finest Spanish colonial architecture in the Americas . then, enjoy lazing on the soft sand of Varadero
- Added benefits in Varadero worth up to £200 per person including a free couples massage
- Havana hotel has beautiful ocean views and exclusive added values for couples
This Cuba holiday lets you experience two of its more glorious gems . historical Havana and the pristine beach of Varadero
- Occidental Miramar is located in the heart of Havana's Miramar District
- Baby Club and mini club available at the Villa Cuba hotel
- Non-motorized watersports including kayaks, windsurfing, sailing, water bicycles and snorkeling
Begin your holiday experience staying at one of the newest luxury hotels in Havana’s posh district of Miramar, located a...
Your Cuban experience begins at the Occidental Miramar, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy Miramar...
If you want to really feel Cuba’s beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the historical Cuban capital and experience the richness of this nation’s culture as you enjoy the holiday of...