New Cuba hotels to open 25,000 new rooms in 2020
According to official government sources, Cuba has 25,000 new hotel rooms currently under construction and they expect these to be ready for welcoming tourists on Cuba holidays in 2020. The increased number of Cuba hotels is to keep up with growing demand
Recent government sources from the island have unveiled the country’s intention to build a further 24,000 hotel rooms in order to keep up with growing demand from increasing tourism to the island. With the popularity of Cuba holidays increasing rapidly every year the island has experienced a boom in tourism arrivals, with tourism figures growing every year.
In 2011 the island welcomed around 700,000 more visitors indicating a substantial growth of 7.3 per cent more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba last year. This figure is expected to keep growing in 2012 and see further growth in the coming years. In addition to the regular tourism markets in Europe and Canada responsible for sending the largest number of tourists to the island, other source markets are emerging, with Russian and South American travellers now leading the way for growth. To cope with the expected ongoing growth the island’s tourist infrastructure needs to expand considerably and it is for this reason that tourism officials have decided to start construction plans on new Cuba hotels in order to cater for the increased flow of tourists arriving to the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Cuba’s Vice Minister of Tourism, Alexis Trujillo, has confirmed that the building of these new hotel rooms is being funded by foreign and Cuban investment. He also confirmed that the island plans to increase the diversity of Cuba’s tourism product with the 13 new golf courses planned, all of which are in different stages of negotiation talks at the moment, as are the construction of new theme parks to spring up around the whole island.
Regarding foreign investment, Mr Trujillo explained that of the currently existing 58,000 hotel rooms in Cuba, 6000 belong to 30 companies of mixed ownership (divided ownership between Cuban capital and foreign capital) and they await further Cuba hotels to be constructed by these kind of consortia companies.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
During a press conference called in the occasion of Pope Benedict XVI to Cuba, Trujillo highlighted the increase of foreign tourist arrivals to the island over the last few years, whose figures have experienced an average growth of 10.5 per cent since 1990.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...