New Cuba hotels to open 25,000 new rooms in 2020
According to official government sources, Cuba has 25,000 new hotel rooms currently under construction and they expect these to be ready for welcoming tourists on Cuba holidays in 2020. The increased number of Cuba hotels is to keep up with growing demand
Recent government sources from the island have unveiled the country’s intention to build a further 24,000 hotel rooms in order to keep up with growing demand from increasing tourism to the island. With the popularity of Cuba holidays increasing rapidly every year the island has experienced a boom in tourism arrivals, with tourism figures growing every year.
In 2011 the island welcomed around 700,000 more visitors indicating a substantial growth of 7.3 per cent more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba last year. This figure is expected to keep growing in 2012 and see further growth in the coming years. In addition to the regular tourism markets in Europe and Canada responsible for sending the largest number of tourists to the island, other source markets are emerging, with Russian and South American travellers now leading the way for growth. To cope with the expected ongoing growth the island’s tourist infrastructure needs to expand considerably and it is for this reason that tourism officials have decided to start construction plans on new Cuba hotels in order to cater for the increased flow of tourists arriving to the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Cuba’s Vice Minister of Tourism, Alexis Trujillo, has confirmed that the building of these new hotel rooms is being funded by foreign and Cuban investment. He also confirmed that the island plans to increase the diversity of Cuba’s tourism product with the 13 new golf courses planned, all of which are in different stages of negotiation talks at the moment, as are the construction of new theme parks to spring up around the whole island.
Regarding foreign investment, Mr Trujillo explained that of the currently existing 58,000 hotel rooms in Cuba, 6000 belong to 30 companies of mixed ownership (divided ownership between Cuban capital and foreign capital) and they await further Cuba hotels to be constructed by these kind of consortia companies.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
During a press conference called in the occasion of Pope Benedict XVI to Cuba, Trujillo highlighted the increase of foreign tourist arrivals to the island over the last few years, whose figures have experienced an average growth of 10.5 per cent since 1990.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...