New Cuba hotels to open 25,000 new rooms in 2020
According to official government sources, Cuba has 25,000 new hotel rooms currently under construction and they expect these to be ready for welcoming tourists on Cuba holidays in 2020. The increased number of Cuba hotels is to keep up with growing demand
Recent government sources from the island have unveiled the country’s intention to build a further 24,000 hotel rooms in order to keep up with growing demand from increasing tourism to the island. With the popularity of Cuba holidays increasing rapidly every year the island has experienced a boom in tourism arrivals, with tourism figures growing every year.
In 2011 the island welcomed around 700,000 more visitors indicating a substantial growth of 7.3 per cent more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba last year. This figure is expected to keep growing in 2012 and see further growth in the coming years. In addition to the regular tourism markets in Europe and Canada responsible for sending the largest number of tourists to the island, other source markets are emerging, with Russian and South American travellers now leading the way for growth. To cope with the expected ongoing growth the island’s tourist infrastructure needs to expand considerably and it is for this reason that tourism officials have decided to start construction plans on new Cuba hotels in order to cater for the increased flow of tourists arriving to the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Cuba’s Vice Minister of Tourism, Alexis Trujillo, has confirmed that the building of these new hotel rooms is being funded by foreign and Cuban investment. He also confirmed that the island plans to increase the diversity of Cuba’s tourism product with the 13 new golf courses planned, all of which are in different stages of negotiation talks at the moment, as are the construction of new theme parks to spring up around the whole island.
Regarding foreign investment, Mr Trujillo explained that of the currently existing 58,000 hotel rooms in Cuba, 6000 belong to 30 companies of mixed ownership (divided ownership between Cuban capital and foreign capital) and they await further Cuba hotels to be constructed by these kind of consortia companies.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
During a press conference called in the occasion of Pope Benedict XVI to Cuba, Trujillo highlighted the increase of foreign tourist arrivals to the island over the last few years, whose figures have experienced an average growth of 10.5 per cent since 1990.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
The perfect blend of cultural discovery and recreation, this Cuba holiday will let you experience two of its more glorious gems – historical Havana and the pristine beach of Varadero
- Baby Club and mini club available at the Villa Cuba hotel
- Non-motorized watersports including kayaks, windsurfing, sailing, water bicycles and snorkeling
- Occidental Miramar is located in the heart of Havana's Miramar District
Havana and relaxing beach stay in Varadero
- Combine powdery soft sands and an eclectic city moving to salsa beats
- Occidental Miramar is located in the heart of Havana's tranquil and elegant Miramar district
- The Breezes Bella Costa is located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach; offers special discounts for families!
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in Varadero where you will be staying in two top retreats.
- During your stay in Havana take our 2 day cultural tour from £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Included we will also give you £300 worth of extra added values, per couple for free including; guaranteed late check out, bottle of sparkling wine, Free room upgrade and much more
- Take advantage of the Non-motorised water sports in Varadero including; (catamaran, snorkelling & windsurfing)
Couples Special – Deluxe Havana City Break & Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect mix of exciting city life and pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- Amazing added values for couples, exclusive to The Holiday Place guests!
- In Havana couples will receive sparkling wine and fruit upon arrival, Late Check-Out & much more
Blau Marina Varadero (formerly Barcelo Marina Palace) sits beside the white sands of beautiful Varadero beach in front...
Sandals Royal Hicacos is a luxury all inclusive resort for "two people in love" over the age of 18 years. Set...
Breezes Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero. just 155 kilometers from the jose marti...