Viva Resorts Group demonstrates its commitment to sustainable tourism in the Dominican Republic
As part of its commitment to the local communities and marine ecosystem, the Viva Resorts Group and others recently put together the children's "we paint our whales" painting contest in Samana- a favourite for green friendly Dominican Republic holidays.
Despite the fact that whale watching season in the Dominican Republic is drawing to a close, the local community in the Samana province with the help of The Viva Resorts Group and other key industry organisations continue to pay tribute to and raise awareness of the hump back whale.
As many as 300 fourth and sixth grade children from 10 local communities representing the whale-watching route along Las Galeras, Punta Balandra, Villa Clara, Los Grantinis, Los Cacaos, Santa Barbara de Samana and Las Terrenas took part in the “We paint our whales” contest.
The contest was sponsored by Viva Residence a brand under the umbrella of The Group Viva Resorts- best known for its luxury hotels in the Dominican Republic in collaboration with the Samana Hotels and Tourist Companies Association (AHETSA) and the Samana Tourist Cluster (CTS). The talent contest formed part of the Whale Festival and called on the students to showcase their creativity by painting images of the humpback whales and their surrounding marine eco system.
Image by: Sallyrango, on Flickr
The Viva Residence brand which focuses on residential vacationing, boasts of two beach front properties in the Dominican Republic and provides an alternative accommodation solution for travellers who relish the Dominican Republic holidays experience. However, with a full range of facilities including gym, spa services, restaurant and bar facilities as well as entertainment areas for children the Viva Residence ensures that holidaymakers won’t have to compromise on any of the useful hotel services that they have grown accustomed to. The Viva Residence’s efforts to support the local community and the marine environment will certainly help to endear the brand further to potential eco-conscious customers.
While the Caribbean is the ideal getaway any time of the year, travellers planning holidays in the Dominican Republic in the future may be interested to know that the months between January and March provide the unique opportunity to see the humpback whales in all their splendour. During these months as many as 5000 whales make the arduous journey to the warm waters of the Dominican Republic’s Samaná Bay from Iceland, Greenland and Canada to mate and calve. Most recently, the Environment minister for the Dominican Republic, Ernesto Reyna underscored the importance of the whale-watching season to the island’s tourism industry noting that approximately 30 000 local and foreign visitors converge on the north-eastern province of Samaná to witness these splendid and mysterious creatures in action.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Although, many holidaymakers may have heard of the Punta Cana region of the Dominican Republic which is best known for its all-inclusive resorts and pristine beaches, whale watching along with many other natural attractions make Samaná the ideal location for those hoping for an eco-adventure while on their Dominican Republic holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...