Viva Resorts Group demonstrates its commitment to sustainable tourism in the Dominican Republic
As part of its commitment to the local communities and marine ecosystem, the Viva Resorts Group and others recently put together the children's "we paint our whales" painting contest in Samana- a favourite for green friendly Dominican Republic holidays.
Despite the fact that whale watching season in the Dominican Republic is drawing to a close, the local community in the Samana province with the help of The Viva Resorts Group and other key industry organisations continue to pay tribute to and raise awareness of the hump back whale.
As many as 300 fourth and sixth grade children from 10 local communities representing the whale-watching route along Las Galeras, Punta Balandra, Villa Clara, Los Grantinis, Los Cacaos, Santa Barbara de Samana and Las Terrenas took part in the “We paint our whales” contest.
The contest was sponsored by Viva Residence a brand under the umbrella of The Group Viva Resorts- best known for its luxury hotels in the Dominican Republic in collaboration with the Samana Hotels and Tourist Companies Association (AHETSA) and the Samana Tourist Cluster (CTS). The talent contest formed part of the Whale Festival and called on the students to showcase their creativity by painting images of the humpback whales and their surrounding marine eco system.
Image by: Sallyrango, on Flickr
The Viva Residence brand which focuses on residential vacationing, boasts of two beach front properties in the Dominican Republic and provides an alternative accommodation solution for travellers who relish the Dominican Republic holidays experience. However, with a full range of facilities including gym, spa services, restaurant and bar facilities as well as entertainment areas for children the Viva Residence ensures that holidaymakers won’t have to compromise on any of the useful hotel services that they have grown accustomed to. The Viva Residence’s efforts to support the local community and the marine environment will certainly help to endear the brand further to potential eco-conscious customers.
While the Caribbean is the ideal getaway any time of the year, travellers planning holidays in the Dominican Republic in the future may be interested to know that the months between January and March provide the unique opportunity to see the humpback whales in all their splendour. During these months as many as 5000 whales make the arduous journey to the warm waters of the Dominican Republic’s Samaná Bay from Iceland, Greenland and Canada to mate and calve. Most recently, the Environment minister for the Dominican Republic, Ernesto Reyna underscored the importance of the whale-watching season to the island’s tourism industry noting that approximately 30 000 local and foreign visitors converge on the north-eastern province of Samaná to witness these splendid and mysterious creatures in action.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Although, many holidaymakers may have heard of the Punta Cana region of the Dominican Republic which is best known for its all-inclusive resorts and pristine beaches, whale watching along with many other natural attractions make Samaná the ideal location for those hoping for an eco-adventure while on their Dominican Republic holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Live it up and Enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Unveil a secret made just for two in a luxurious Dominican enclave
- Each room offers comfortable bedding, daily refreshed mini bar, a terrace or balcony with exterior Jacuzzi, flat screen TV and so much more
- Take advantage of the Dine-Around option available at the hotel's sister property Now Larimar Punta Cana
- Set beside a perfect palm fringed beach, on the east coast of the Dominican Republic
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of the Dominican Republic where the amazing beaches of Juan Dolio await you. Also...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...