Barbadians contemplate the impact of the UK's APD on the popularity of Barbados holidays
Tourism officials in Barbados, along with the wider population, are currently bracing themselves for the impact the heavily opposed increase in the air passenger duty (APD) tax will have on the number of travellers from the UK booking Barbados holidays.
With the latest increase in air passenger duty (APD) tax set to hit the travel industry in April 2012, the wider population along with the local tourism officials of Barbados are currently contemplating the potential impact the tax hike will have on the number of travellers booking flights to Barbados from the UK. The APD tax applies to passengers who book Caribbean flights departing from United Kingdom airports and the latest increase will also affect the price that passengers who have booked their 2012 Caribbean holidays before the announcement of the new rates, will have to pay.
Barbados is not the only island to be affected by the increase with its peers across the Caribbean region, including other popular holiday destinations like Jamaica and the Bahamas, being similarly affected. Some locals feel that the island can no longer depend on tourism and the appeal of Barbados holidays with the APD leading to soaring airfares which most are convinced will scare away passengers from key source markets like the UK.
“This is so bad. I can’t afford to come to Barbados anymore. They are so greedy here the taxes are more than the air fares. I miss seeing the sunrise in Barbados and not being able to see my friends”one citizen said commenting on a local news article reporting on the issue.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) which is headquartered in Barbados and comprises of 32 member countries in addition to private sector stakeholders, has spoken out firmly against the tax in 2011 and has been lobbying in the UK for its removal or at the very least a revision of the structure.
While the CTO is yet to convince the UK government to review the APD, it now has the support of major airlines like British Airways, Easy Jet, Virgin Atlantic and Ryan Air who have all made a call for the suspension of the latest APD increase. Virgin Atlantic and British Airways are currently the two main carriers taking holidaymakers to Barbados holidays or to holidays in just about any other Caribbean destination. Both airlines have expressed deep concerns that the APD increase will have a negative impact not only on their earnings but in the UK’s efforts to rebuild the economy as well.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
In addition to these key international carriers, the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) have also spoken out in support of the Caribbean islands and have estimated that in the course of the next 12 months the UK government stands to gain an additional £2.8 billion in taxes from passengers. According to the WTTC, that sum pales in comparison to the £4.2 billion that could be made along with the creation of 91 000 jobs in the UK job market if the APD were to be removed.
While the sentiment coming out of Barbados may be one of resignation only time will tell if this new wave of support the CTO has gained will have any impact on the three-year-long UK air tax.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Exclusive last minute DOUBLE FREE room upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View Suite as seen on Secret Escapes
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...