Popularity of Cancun Holidays on the Rise as Region Caters for "End of the World" Celebrations
There has been a increase in the number of bookings for Riviera Maya, Tulum and Cancun holidays as travellers are intrigued by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012, according to the MesoAmerican calendar.
Tourism is booming in Cancun as intrigued travellers head to the region to find out more about the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Bookings for Cancun holidays are up and the tourism board is welcoming the influx of travellers as officials attempt to reinvent the region from a party town to a more mature destination for adults and gourmet food-lovers.
According to the MesoAmerican calendar, 21st December, 2012 marks the end of a 5,125 year-long cycle and Mayan mythology predicts that the Earth will collide with another planet or be swallowed by a black hole. However, astrological calculations predict that it will be a period of spiritual renewal and many Mexicans who live in the area and have Mayan ancestry don’t think the world will literally end on 21st December, but they do believe the date marks an important time for rebirth.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
This is also how the tourism board is looking at it. Keen to rid the region of its reputation as a spring break destination with foam parties and all-night drinking, tourism officials are looking to encourage travellers to book holidays to Cancun for its culinary delights, engaging historical and mythological apects, ancient sites and archaeological ruins, and breathtaking scuba diving opportunities.
Erika Mitzunaga from the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, explained: “As we close out the traditional Mayan calendar and welcome a new era. Cancun is embracing a ‘new beginning,’ which invites locals and guests to think different and behave different by exploring the evolution of humanity, and redefining our experience in the land of the Mayans.”
Earlier this month Cancun launched its first wine and food festival where more than 30 chefs including Ferran Adria from El Bulli and Ingrid Hoffman from “Simply Delicioso” demonstrated their skills in front of thousands of visitors.
Image by: Sifu Renka, on Flickr
Many Cancun hotels have already seen an increase in the number of tourists taking holidays in Cancun, including the ME by Melia hotel.
“The curiosity about Cancun is increasing from all different parts of the world. We are seeing an increase in interest from China, Russia and the Latin American market,” explained Raul Petraglia, the hotel’s managing director. “The demographic is 23-50, all folks who are young in spirit, people who enjoy being in an atmosphere of good cuisine.”
A wide range of activities and events are being planned in Cancun, Tulum and Riviera Maya to mark the “end of the world” and visitors can head to the modern-day pyramid, which is currently under construction in the town of Zama, to honour the ancient Mayans. Tourists who planning a holiday to Cancun over the next few months are invited to place a dream, wish, or message on a piece of paper and put it inside a recyclable plastic water bottle. The bottles will then be used as the building blocks of the pyramid.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Mitzunaga added: “This is the perfect time to come to Cancun to recharge your energies under the Caribbean sun, embrace a civilisation that studies show dates back to 2600 BC while marvelling at the ancient Mayan ruins, or challenge yourself to experience something you’ve never done before like swim with a whale shark or dive into a cenote.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Enjoy a fantastic Resort View to Garden View
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...