Popularity of Cancun Holidays on the Rise as Region Caters for "End of the World" Celebrations
There has been a increase in the number of bookings for Riviera Maya, Tulum and Cancun holidays as travellers are intrigued by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012, according to the MesoAmerican calendar.
Tourism is booming in Cancun as intrigued travellers head to the region to find out more about the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Bookings for Cancun holidays are up and the tourism board is welcoming the influx of travellers as officials attempt to reinvent the region from a party town to a more mature destination for adults and gourmet food-lovers.
According to the MesoAmerican calendar, 21st December, 2012 marks the end of a 5,125 year-long cycle and Mayan mythology predicts that the Earth will collide with another planet or be swallowed by a black hole. However, astrological calculations predict that it will be a period of spiritual renewal and many Mexicans who live in the area and have Mayan ancestry don’t think the world will literally end on 21st December, but they do believe the date marks an important time for rebirth.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
This is also how the tourism board is looking at it. Keen to rid the region of its reputation as a spring break destination with foam parties and all-night drinking, tourism officials are looking to encourage travellers to book holidays to Cancun for its culinary delights, engaging historical and mythological apects, ancient sites and archaeological ruins, and breathtaking scuba diving opportunities.
Erika Mitzunaga from the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, explained: “As we close out the traditional Mayan calendar and welcome a new era. Cancun is embracing a ‘new beginning,’ which invites locals and guests to think different and behave different by exploring the evolution of humanity, and redefining our experience in the land of the Mayans.”
Earlier this month Cancun launched its first wine and food festival where more than 30 chefs including Ferran Adria from El Bulli and Ingrid Hoffman from “Simply Delicioso” demonstrated their skills in front of thousands of visitors.
Image by: Sifu Renka, on Flickr
Many Cancun hotels have already seen an increase in the number of tourists taking holidays in Cancun, including the ME by Melia hotel.
“The curiosity about Cancun is increasing from all different parts of the world. We are seeing an increase in interest from China, Russia and the Latin American market,” explained Raul Petraglia, the hotel’s managing director. “The demographic is 23-50, all folks who are young in spirit, people who enjoy being in an atmosphere of good cuisine.”
A wide range of activities and events are being planned in Cancun, Tulum and Riviera Maya to mark the “end of the world” and visitors can head to the modern-day pyramid, which is currently under construction in the town of Zama, to honour the ancient Mayans. Tourists who planning a holiday to Cancun over the next few months are invited to place a dream, wish, or message on a piece of paper and put it inside a recyclable plastic water bottle. The bottles will then be used as the building blocks of the pyramid.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Mitzunaga added: “This is the perfect time to come to Cancun to recharge your energies under the Caribbean sun, embrace a civilisation that studies show dates back to 2600 BC while marvelling at the ancient Mayan ruins, or challenge yourself to experience something you’ve never done before like swim with a whale shark or dive into a cenote.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...