Thousands of youngsters converge on the Riviera Maya for Cancun holidays during spring break
The Cancun Hotel Association has reported that the region is enjoying a tourism boost as thousands flock to the Mayan Riviera for their fun Cancun holidays this spring. Cancun remains unaffected despite wider concerns over drug related violence in Mexico
With travellers heading to their fun Cancun holidays in the thousands, Cancun hotels are currently reaping the benefits of a bumper spring break holiday season. The Cancun Hotel Association reported that many hotels in Cancun are currently exceeding 85 per cent occupancy rates; an encouraging sign in light of the current concerns over drug related violence in Mexico. “Business is good. We've been packed for the past months, and our reservations look strong” noted Melissa Pearlman a hotel owner in the region during a recent interview.
Many have marvelled at the fact that despite the current climate in Mexico, tourism has remained largely unaffected; Ms Pearlman noted in her interview, “Down here we haven't had any problems of any kind — nothing”. The official travel advisories released by the U.S. would also indicate that travellers interested in holidays to Cancun have nothing to worry about. The April 2011 Travel Warning for Mexico put out by the U.S. State Department has been replaced by a new advisory released on the 8th February 2012 which now specifically states that “no advisories exist” for popular holiday destinations in Mexico on the Caribbean coast. That clarification would have no doubt served to boost confidence in the region as a safe holiday destination. “Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major trafficking routes” noted an announcement from the U.S. State Department in February 2012.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Although the U.S. State Department has given its all clear in addition to assurances from Mexican officials, the state of Texas has advised its residents against travel to Mexico for spring break celebrations stating that drug related violence may affect some resort areas. The announcement was met with “deep concern” from the Mexican Tourism Board. Rodolfo Lopez Negrete chief operating officer of the Mexican Tourism Board stated, “This warning is exceptionally aggressive...To paint Mexico with such a massively broad brush stroke is simply outrageous”.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
From all accounts, it appears that it is business as usual in Cancun and wider Mexico despite the concerns expressed by the state of Texas. The Mexican government announced earlier this year that over 22 million travellers enjoyed holidays in Mexico in 2011. Historically, much of the country’s tourism has been driven by the appeal of the fun-filled atmosphere down in Cancun with nearly 200 000 students, many from the U.S., booking their annual spring break holidays in the Riviera Maya each year. According to Student City, a leading travel agency focusing exclusively on students, after a slight downward trend in the last couple of years, college students have once again named spring Cancun holidays as their top choice.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...